Random Thoughts Again

ShoreLion

Re: Random Thoughts Again

Postby ShoreLion » Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:19 pm

Random Thought: Llama has been MIA. Anybody know if he's ok?

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:39 pm

I was noticing that the other day. He never came back when the board came back online. Maybe he's not checked in to see we are back? But, it's been almost a month now.

No idea where he is or how he is.
Is it football season yet?

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:55 pm

Scientists elimiante HIV from mice

That's pretty incredible. It wasn't that long ago that HIV and AIDs was an automoatic death sentence. Now they can largely control it. And, it sounds like soon they may have a flat out cure. Imagine the impact that would have on the world. On places like Africa, where populations have been decimated by AIDs. Something like 65% of all reported HIV/AIDs cases on the planet are apparently located in subsarahan Africa (Africa as a continent has under 16% of the world's population). An actual cure can have an significant impact on that part of th world.

All this in ~40 years. Imagine what could have been if anyone actually gave a shit prior to the early 1990s.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:21 pm

Apparently the mayor of a town in Georgia tried to prevent the hiring of a black city executive “because he is black, and the city isn’t ready for this.”

Unreal.

Here is my favorite part of this story:

The attorney also warned city officials to stop putting their concerns in writing.“I do not think it in the best interests of the city (or the individual elected officials) to continue emailing in this manner,” he wrote in a March 14 email.

I can't believe these people are so stupid that they need to be told not to put into writing that the mayor doesn't want to hire someone because they are black. I mean, how brain dead can you be?

On the plus side, it seems there were people within the city government who had issues with this and took steps to stop it. I'd like to believe the idiot mayor is not really representative of the feelings of her constituency. But, that's really F*cked up.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:50 pm

I mean, how brain dead can you be?

She seems like U.S. Congress material. A lack of brain activity isn't disqualifying.
Fire Alex Cora

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:53 am

Anyone see this story? A teen was accused of rape, but a judge didn't want him tried as an adult because he 'comes from a good family'

Unreal.So, if he wasn't from a good family he gets punished for that? You can't control what kind of family you are born into, so why is that a factor? I bet if this kis was poor, black and came from a broken home he goes to jail.

Btw, the judge is now getting death threats. I don't agree with threatening the guys life and hope the people making those threats are found, arrested and face consequences. But, this asshat should be removed from the bench.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:51 am

Apparently this judged previously retired and is/was serving in a "temp" capacity. He's going to seriously regret that he didn't just take up bocce instead.
Fire Alex Cora

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:51 am

One thing NJ historically had that they could be proud of was their court system. Back when I was in law school the NJ Supreme Court was considered the most influential state supreme court in the US. If an issue was working it's way through the NJ courts, often other states would wait to see how NJ ruled and would follow that opinion. They were cited by the US Supreme Court often and were really considered a benchmark for how law and legal intrepretation was evolving.

In the intervening years, though, they have signed up some real winners for the bench. There have been a handful of instances that made the news and made you smack your head. Granted, those instances were pretty much all in the lower courts, and you do tend to get some losers in the lower ranks, but damn, some of these decisions really leave you wondering how these people got to a position of authority.

As for Judge Troiano, screw him. I'm not in favor of death threats, but he deserves a lot of grief for that nonsense. What really kills me is I grew up in Monmouth County. And, while that area certainly has it's fair share of dimwits (what area doesn't?), I'm disapointed to find out that one of them made it to the bench.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:11 pm

One thing NJ historically had that they could be proud of was their court system.

I was going to cut & paste a pic of the Jersey Shore cast as another example of something they could be proud of. But my wife walked into my office/man-cave and I had to put it aside in order to avoid a "what the hell are you doing?" line of questioning. And now she's sitting on my couch watching the news. So just use your imagination.

She is totally not grasping the concept of a man-cave.
Fire Alex Cora

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:20 pm

Not one of those Jersey Shore morons is from the Garden State. I think they are all New Yorkers but am not 100% of that. But, none of them are from NJ. So, that would be a picture of what we are forced to put up with.

P.s. they sell locks that can only open with a fingerprint or retina scan. A bit excessive but if that's what is necessary to preserve the integrity of the man-cave, then that's what is necessary.