Re: Random Thoughts Again

Postby psu_dad » Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:12 pm

B&W: It hurts when I do "this".
Doctor: Don't do "that".
Fire Alex Cora

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:25 pm

What really hurts is the financial impact. Loss of income + medical bills = ouch.

On top of that, I have a tree in the backyard that has to come down. I think that is going to wait until next year and I just hope it doesn't come down on its own between now and then.

And then I realized that my oil tank is 50+ years old and probably needs to be replaced. Someone in my neighborhood had theirs crack open during a refill recently and, from what I gather, it's turning into a major "thing" for them. I mean major. They probably have to leave their house for a period of time. That kind of a "thing". So, rather than wait for this to happen to me, I'm going to spend the ~$2,500 and replace my tank.

Oh, and I paid my son's tuition for the semester today. I did not enjoy that at all.

If one more thing goes wrong I'm going to self immolate myself and let my wife collect the insurance.
Is it football season yet?

ShoreLion

Postby ShoreLion » Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:54 pm

Here's a random thought. Or rather a random meaningless fact for most. I just discovered today that I have a co-worker who had a bit speaking part in Forrest Gump. A lot of it was filmed right here in the lowcountry and not Alabama. And not Florida either B&W :D So he gets a check every quarter for his cut every time it's played. That's pretty cool.

PittGradPSUMad

Postby PittGradPSUMad » Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:10 pm

Coupla things. First, sorry for your wife's misfortune. Went through similar situation two years this week when my wife broke her tibia and tore a miniscus on our second day of beach vacation. A large wave literally broke her leg. Both injuries required surgery, significant down time and significant out of pocket semolians. For what it's worth (not much)....I feel your pain and my wife feels your wife's pain. We're at the beach this week and Mrs. Mad is staying clear of the water. Item number 2: get rid of oil furnace and replace with natural gas. It'll pay for itself in a few years. Thank me later. You can buy me a nice case of good brew as finders fee.
Yeah, well, that's like your opinion, man.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:14 pm

Item number 2: get rid of oil furnace and replace with natural gas.

If it was an option, I'd have switched years ago. The natural gas line runs about a football field's length away from my house. I doubt the savings of gas vs. oil would be enough to offset that cost within my lifetime, much less the lenghty of time I will probably remain in this house.

Shore - you're not fooling anyone. We know you're in Florida.

That's pretty cool, though. Someone I went to law school with had a small part in Philadelphia (the Tom Hanks movie). I have not spoken to him since we graduated. I wonder if he gets a similar residual from that movie.

LioninVa

Postby LioninVa » Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:50 pm

What's the cost difference between a new oil tank and a gas line? Add to that, the resale value increase, and it might not be as cost prohibitive. But, what do I know... I am financing my son's college education hoping to either hit the lottery or age out before it comes due!

Shore (or should it be Low now?), I had a coworker who sang the National Anthem prior to a Garth Brooks live TV concert on an aircraft carrier years ago. He got residual checks for years. Nice ones, at that!

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:56 pm

What's the cost difference between a new oil tank and a gas line?

Paying to trench the road and get the line to my house would be thousands. And then I still need to buy a new gas heater and hot water tank. It's got to be 10 grand.

As for college, I'm set for the years 1 and 2 and paying those in cash. Year 3 becomes fun because I'll have 2 in. Haven't figured out what I'll do there yet.

LioninVa

Postby LioninVa » Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:06 pm

I hadn’t considered the appliances, but I would bet the cost is comparable to the value increase. Of course, having a house worth X is different than having someone offer X for the house.

I had my Post 9-11 GI bill in place, but the Mrs. got her Masters and my first born blew through the rest with nothing to show for it.

PittGradPSUMad

Postby PittGradPSUMad » Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:20 pm

No gas line is a deal breaker. My conversion cost was a few bucks shy of $6,000 which included installing the meter, the hookup, a new gas furnace and the cost of insulating the attic. At the time, heating oil price was high and natural gas low. My system paid for itself in four years. The insulation also helped since my old, brick barn was a sieve.
Yeah, well, that's like your opinion, man.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:26 pm

I question the value impact of gas vs. oil. I'd be curious to see if there is any kind of data that supports the theory gas heat adds value to your house. I've heard this before, but I really question it.

Regardless, that gas line is ~100 yards away. I consider that an insurmountable distance for me to consider. If everyone of my neighbors were up for it, then maybe. But, even then I think it's signficantly more than just replacing the tank. And, with all the other expenses I have right now, it's just not in the cards.