Random Thoughts Again

Blue&White

Re: Random Thoughts Again

Postby Blue&White » Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:09 pm

I used to work for a British company and have a lot of British friends. One sent me that.

The real question is - what was he Googling?!
Is it football season yet?

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:17 pm

Found out earlier today that the 20 year old son of an acquaintance of my wife hung himself last week. My wife went to something this evening where this woman is going to likely be in attendance. She and I had like a 30 minute discussion about what is the proper thing to say to someone who's child committed suicide. We settle on "I'm so sorry" and that's it. Maybe a hug if it seems appropriate in the moment. But, that's it.

What else can you possibly say to someone in that situation? I'm legitimately asking because I have absolutely no idea.

LioninVa

Postby LioninVa » Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:11 am

Wow. I have no idea but think “I’m so sorry “ is the best way to go. I hope it was ok. Whatever that might be.

ShoreLion

Postby ShoreLion » Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:49 am

That's awful. And I agree, you can't go wrong with just saying "I"m so sorry". If someone wants to talk more I just let them go and I listen. If it helps them at least a little I'm glad to do it even if it is uncomfortable.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:57 am

Keep it simple and heartfelt. What you came up with is fine. It almost doesn't matter. I've attended more than one funeral at which people were burying their child. They're basically in a trance, because they're living a nightmare of unimaginable proportions.
Fire Alex Cora

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:32 am

My wife got a reprieve as the woman was not at the event last night (understandable). A mutual friend told my wife that she is very aware that people don't know what to say and has said no one needs to say anything. Just showing up is enough.

dad - multiple funerals where people buried their children? I just can't imagine. And, every time I hear of something like this i think "there, but for the grace of random dumb luck and chance, go I".

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:43 am

Yes. Multiple.
Fire Alex Cora

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:29 am

Remember the Parking Lot Vigilante? The guy who picked a fight over the woman in the handicap spot and ended up shooting her boyfriend? He was found guilty of manslaughter and is going to jail. And, I read he didn't use the "stand your ground" defense at all.

I'm both shocked and pleased by this outcome. I thought the sheriff blew it when he publicly said it was a legal shooting. I figured no way they convict him for anything after that. Glad I was wrong.

Btw, now that my wife has lost temporary use of her right leg, I totally get the annoyance about people illegally parking in handicap spots. But, I'm not packing a gun and having confrontations over it.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:45 am

Yes, I remember. I remember telling you to calm down ... that the sheriff didn't have the final say in the matter ... that the legal process would take over at some point ...

But you were going icky-balooky.
Fire Alex Cora

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:50 am

I figured the sheriff basically giving an expert opinion that it constituted "stand your ground" was seal the deal in the murderers favor. I wonder why they didn't stick with that defense. Perhaps the victim blatantly taking a step backwards before he was shot meant he couldn't use that defense? Don't know.