Random Thoughts Again

Carl Spackler

Re: Random Thoughts Again

Postby Carl Spackler » Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:08 pm

Crowbar wrote:It makes no sense to me how someone not old enough to buy a beer can buy an AR-15. And buy the weapon with little or no problem. It's absolutely mind boggling.

I couldn't agree more. This young man had some major problems and not unlike the Air Force dishonorably discharged murderer a check was fruitless due to lack of reporting by other agencies.

This country has had firearms before it was a country. We didn't have psychotic drugs (beyond booze I think), violence inducing video games, TV shows or movies glorifying murderers nor a 24/7 media popularizing murder as a way to be infamous. Why is it a problem today and not in the 1920's or 50's? You actually could own an automatic weapon way back when. Something changed folks and its not a type of weapon.

It is society, indifference to the value of life, me first attitude and if I don't get my way look out, incivility, lack of courtesy, all small steps toward our current position. I don't think all this is a big surprise. I think the media drums it up due to their agendas, scoring ad dollars, etc. or they wouldn't trot out all the same arguments and the same people citing the repeated items at every opportunity.

With things as they are, trying to ID an individual hasn't worked. I believe a different approach is justified, guarding places where a crazy person, a vindictive person, an evil person (which they all are :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: ) must be intervened before entering a public place. When I go to an airport I'm checked top to bottom, sometimes I'm taken to another room to have my luggage inspected, etc. Why, 9-11, that's why. Now our schools are targets, no matter the manner in which the carnage is carried out, they need protected just as air travelers need protection and people entering stadiums and other places we guard. And when the expense factors come forth I suggest we lay off several top end administrators, they are very highly paid and often are not heard or seen nor appear to provide much production, excepting the one's who do that is, my hat's off to them. Just an idea for some quick funding.

I heard a Florida school Psychologist and a Judge last evening, they were very informative and they focused on the need of having good parents, the issue with embedded cultural violence, a lack of discipline in the home to name a few, wish I could remember more.
So I got that going for me...which is nice. It's a cross between Kentucky Bluegrass, Featherbed Bent and Northern California Sensimilla so you can play 36 holes on it,take it home at night and get stoned to the begesses belt

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:45 pm

Here is a link a political cartoon drawn to honor the football coach in Florida who died protecting other people's children. The people welcoming him are supposed to be all the victims of school shootings. From the accounts that were given, he deliberately put himself in harms way and had to know what was going to happen. The man died a true hero.

Unless you have no feelings at all, or you're psu_dad, there is no way this can't choke you up.
Is it baseball season yet?

Crowbar

Postby Crowbar » Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:14 pm

Wow. That cartoon is powerful.
National Champions 1911, 1912, 1969, 1981, 1982, 1986, 1994

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:18 pm

It really is. It stops you right in your tracks.

Carl Spackler

Postby Carl Spackler » Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:18 pm

My understanding is that the coach RAN TO the sound of the gunfire. That is a HERO. Actions denote heroes, not garb or rank or status, ACTIONS.

This man acted without regard to his own welfare, he went above and beyond the call of duty. :(
So I got that going for me...which is nice. It's a cross between Kentucky Bluegrass, Featherbed Bent and Northern California Sensimilla so you can play 36 holes on it,take it home at night and get stoned to the begesses belt

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:37 pm

The blame, and pressure, is piling up on the FBI because they got a tip on this kid and didn't follow through. I continue to think this is total bullshit. What were they supposed to do? Prior to him pulling the trigger, what crimes were committed? What was done that would have prevented him from being able to buy a military style weapon through legal means? Nothing that I can see.

The gun lobby and their allies in elected positions have spent a lot of time and money and effort making sure that, absent an actual criminal conviction, people like this lunatic in Florida were able to legally walk into a gun store and buy an AR15 and enough ammo to have a mutli day stand off with a marine platoon. That he was able to buy that weapon was not a bug, it was a feature.

And now the same people who cheered that on want to throw the FBI under the bus. I hope at some point soon the FBI comes out swinging.

sameoldlama

Postby sameoldlama » Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:40 pm

What was FBI supposed to do - act on the tip. Authorities have appealed to the public to come forward when the see something suspicious. They even have PSA regarding the subject. So you can't fail to act on a tip regarding a threat, the threat becomes a reality and then say your failure to act wouldn't have mattered and call criticism of your failure to act bullshit.
Wendall : That's very linear Sheriff
Ed Tom : Age will flatten a man Wendall

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:41 pm

What does that mean, "act on the tip"? Or, more to the point, how does it change anything?

The problem here isn't that the FBI didn't follow through. The problem is that there was nothing the FBI or the local cops could do to prevent this disturbed young man from buying a military grade weapon and killing 17 innocent people.

If they had checked him out and found that he seemed disturbed and posed a credible threat, they couldn't have stopped him from buying that gun.

If they had concluded he was a threat to national security and put him on the no-fly list, they still couldn't have stopped him from buying that gun.

If he had been diagnosed as being mentally ill and was drawing social security benefits due to a mental defect, they couldn't stop him from buying a gun thanks to Trump rolling back those regulations last year.

The problem isn't what the FBI or local cops did or didn't do. The problem is a combination of what they couldn't do and the availability of these massive death machines to the general public. There is no need for a civilian to have these weapons. None. And calling the FBI isn't changing shit.

Crowbar

Postby Crowbar » Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:36 am

Should the FBI have looked a little closer into this? Yes.

However, like BW said, I am not sure what they could have done. The You Tube post said something like he wanted to be a professional school shooter. Obviously anyone who writes something like that is a deranged asshole. But I don't know if can get him on making terroristic threats for it since he didn't make a specific threat against anyone. As awful as it sounds, but in my non-lawyer opinion, I would think that type of statement would be protected under free speech and would be unprosecutable (if that is such a word).

The much larger issue is that a TEENAGER with a history of mental problems and troublemaking was able to legally purchase a God damn AR-15. I just can't wrap my head around that. Sorry, I just don't understand that.
National Champions 1911, 1912, 1969, 1981, 1982, 1986, 1994

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:47 am

You're not alone.