Random Thoughts Again

Blue&White

Re: Random Thoughts Again

Postby Blue&White » Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:16 pm

7-year-old boy killed in crossfire, 5th child shot in Jacksonville in less than 2 weeks

The article speaks for itself, but a few things:
1. further to the point Lama has made, shootings in inner cities in mostly minority neighborhoods needs to start generating the same level of outrage and disgust as shooting in white suburban schools.
2. I can't wrap my head around this line in the article:

Authorities said they don't know who may have been the target of the Sunday night shooting, and have yet to identify suspects.

The sheriff said multiple witnesses are not cooperating with investigation.

This business where you don't cooperate with the cops also has to change. I get that people who live in these neighborhoods don't see the police as an ally or a solution to their problems. But, both sides need to quickly reach some common ground. I can't believe anyone is happy that a year old who was playing in his front yard was gunned down. The cops need help. The communities need their help. Something has to change here.
Alex Cora sucks. Mickey Callaway sucks. Baseball sucks. Everything and everyone just sucks. Is it football season yet?

PittGradPSUMad

Postby PittGradPSUMad » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:23 pm

chas wrote:Hello

I am sorry to let you know that my dad passed away last week after his long fight with cancer. He passed unexpectedly in his sleep, his heart just gave out. Dad enjoyed the debate and information sharing on this and other sites. I am sure he will be waiting for the rest of you to continue your discussions. Gob bless.

Michael

Michael, I am saddened at the news of your father's death. Only a few of us on this board have met in person, but I feel a certain bond with all of its members. My impression of Chas was that of a successful, self-assured, principled man of high intellect. Although he and I were of different stripes politically, I enjoyed his analysis of events and never detected a sense of rancor or condescension because I held a different opinion than him. This is as it should be but is sadly lacking in our national discourse. If I grieve for you and your family, and the loss of a beloved father, it is as writ in the John Donne poem: "The loss of even one man diminishes me because I am involved in mankind". God bless Chas's eternal soul.
Yeah, well, that's like your opinion, man.

Carl Spackler

Postby Carl Spackler » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:45 pm

I suspect some if not most of the murderers "legally buying firearms" are doing so illegally by falsely filling out the form you are required to which is forwarded to I forget who to do the background check. Then we have either incompetent, lazy, overworked, outnumbered people who are required to report those who misbehave to keep them off the list to buy. Two holes so far. More I'm sure.

I suspect other than military training, most on this board who voice opinions on firearm ownership have never fired one or have done so at a paper target at most. Shooting at a running game animal with a rifle is challenging and requires multiple shots at times to bring them down. Those hunting differ in skill. To defend yourself is far more challenging and the missed shots in a deadly combat situation far outnumber the scoring shots, ask police who count the shell casings post shootout, its not close. I'm not going to debate this, I know what I need in a defensive situation. My police friends all want a handgun with at a magazine of at least 15 rounds to be considered safe enough to go out and defend themselves as they know in the stress of having to defend themselves there are most likely a three to one miss to hit ratio and likely a higher number than that. The movies depicting a Lone Ranger shooting the gun from the villains hands with one shot are a million to one shots. Shooting someone in the leg, foot, knee or forearm are not much better.

All police I know shoot for body mass, body center to try to get a take down shot. It's easier to hit a 18" by 24" area than a two inch moving thumb. It takes multiple good hits to put something down barring a high caliber hunting rifle which an AR-15 is not - in hunting or any firearm vernacular. It can be used to hunt but not by the novice. You have to be a very good shot to use a weapon of that small a caliber.

Limiting to hunting rifles and some shotguns may appear to be a solution yet this kid somehow brought a rifle into a school, how he kept it hidden I can't imagine, they are not small as I'm looking at one right now and don't grasp hiding it successfully. A rifle will really murder people in public. Eliminating bump stocks has my full backing, they are not useful for any game situation and make you quite inaccurate unless you have a mass of people or game in one focused space, like a school room or theater. The very name tells you it would make taking accurate aim pretty hopeless. It circumvents the automatic operation prohibition of the firearm. That is patently wrong. I'd love to have that capability but can't since my unit was not designed to be able to have that option initiated later no matter what you may have heard. It would require the lower half to be re-milled by a gunsmith if they had the special skill to do so - illegally, to make full auto available. Now you may be able to illegally buy a fully auto firearm but that is another story.

It's time we enforced the gun laws already on the books. No fully auto firearms are available for purchase unless you purchase special permits and north of $10K to start. They are in collections generally and a few are around to be legally fired on ranges where you are supervised and can rent one for a large price as you go through ammo quickly. My brother and his wife both did it and told me they didn't hit anything but sky, they are both accomplished hand gun owners who hit what they aim at very well yet had nothing close to a target with a full auto firearm. They are very hard to learn to use correctly. It takes military style training to do so.

Enough commentary from the rural, the police are 30 mins. away, division of nf.com. KYPD
So I got that going for me...which is nice. It's a cross between Kentucky Bluegrass, Featherbed Bent and Northern California Sensimilla so you can play 36 holes on it,take it home at night and get stoned to the begesses belt

Crowbar

Postby Crowbar » Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:12 am

I am sorry to let you know that my dad passed away last week after his long fight with cancer. He passed unexpectedly in his sleep, his heart just gave out. Dad enjoyed the debate and information sharing on this and other sites. I am sure he will be waiting for the rest of you to continue your discussions. Gob bless.

Michael

I am so sorry to hear this, Michael. :cry:

May your father Rest In Peace. Take care and God Bless. You will all be in our thoughts and prayers.
41-33.

PittGradPSUMad

Postby PittGradPSUMad » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:16 am

Carl Spackler wrote: It's time we enforced the gun laws already on the books.

You make some valid points, Carl, but this argument about enforcing laws already on the books is a tired one, a red herring right out of the NRA talking points. I would to love to know which laws are not being enforced. Regardless of skill level, any knucklehead can aim an AR-15 into a crowd of people and cause mass carnage. There doesn't appear to be too much skill required for that. What is required is some courage by our lawmakers to make it illegal to own a military style weapon that is designed to do one thing and one thing only.....to kill people. Let us start there and, perhaps, have a discussion about the insidious nature of a political system that allows corporations and political organizations like the NRA to spoon feed our elected officials with millions of dollars, then hold them hostage to the 2nd amendment at election time. I'm goddammed sick and tired of watching as mass murder is justified and swept under the rug as a mental health issue. This is a cultural issue as well as a political issue. Someday...probably a long time from now....people will assess this time in our history and view it the same way we view the slavery issue leading up to the civil war. And when they do, they'll ask wtf were they thinking.
Yeah, well, that's like your opinion, man.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:43 am

In the 2016 election, 96% of Congressional incumbents were re-elected. Despite all the gum-flapping, when push comes to shove, people are clearly not clamoring for change. The only area where they said "No thanks" to the status quo was the presidential election.

BTW, Pennsylvania, which has a gun-friendly Congressional delegation, sent 15 of 18 incumbents back to Washington. And the only reason the number was that low was because two incumbents retired. So there's that.
Fire Alex Cora. (On hold pending further review)

psudelco

Postby psudelco » Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:42 pm

Michael

Sorry for your loss Michael, my condolences to you and your family

LioninVa

Postby LioninVa » Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:20 pm

PA had a bit of a gerrymandering issue that, I think, has been addressed. I'm not sure if it was corrected, but it was addressed. Of course, the President tweeted out that GOP form the Great State of PA should challenge the new districts to SCOTUS; like that hasn't already happened.

As for Congress and re-election. I have said many times, maybe even here once or twice, most people think that congress as a whole stinks but are pleased with their representatives. So, change is hard to come by unless one of them really screws the pooch. And even then, all bets are off.

sameoldlama

Postby sameoldlama » Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:39 pm

In PA (like many other places) judges are pretty much politicians too these days. Best I can summarize the PA redistricting....

R controlled legislature attempted to gerrymander in their favor
D appealed and Wolfe sent it to the PA Supreme Court (which is D controlled)
The PASC gerrymandered it in favor of Ds
Rs are vowing to take it to SCOTUS

So it's like an episode of Itchy and Scratchy - They fight, they fight, they fight they fight they fight, fight fight fight, fight fight fight ..... the Pennsylvania Legislature Show!!!!!!!

You should see them try and pass a budget.
Wendall : That's very linear Sheriff
Ed Tom : Age will flatten a man Wendall

LioninVa

Postby LioninVa » Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:48 pm

I had assumed that it had already gone to SCOTUS. Not living there anymore, I haven't paid as close attention as I used to.

And Newt is In the news again. He said we need armed teacher (6-8 per school) and more perimeter security measures. I assume this means metal detectors and barbed wire fences. Pretty much turn the schools into prisons it what it sounds like to me. I know some of you are not fans of public education and you are entitled to your opinion; but when you gut it from both the inside and outside, you can't expect success. Sadly, that is what they are trying to do to it.