Random Thoughts Again

Blue&White

Re: Random Thoughts Again

Postby Blue&White » Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:13 pm

Further to the earlier discussion on the impact of guns on gun deaths: The relationship between gun ownership and death rates.

Just to be clear: this article isn't "proof" of anything. It makes the point that this shows a correlation only, and does not provide any definitive views on causation. But, that's pretty telling. And, even Hawaii as an outlier I think is pretty easily explained. Most of these deaths are likely to be suicides, and who the hell can be depressed in Hawaii?
Alex Cora sucks. Mickey Callaway sucks. Baseball sucks. Everything and everyone just sucks. Is it football season yet?

sameoldlama

Postby sameoldlama » Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:38 pm

This illustrates a point I made earlier of people being confrontational and taking everything as a perceived slight calling for a confrontation - until we can figure out why someone attacks someone - from behind as they walk away from him - for looking at him the wrong way (and likely the victim was just staring off into space on his subway ride home) - discussing the manner in which someone commits a violent act misses much of the issue at hand

https://nypost.com/2018/03/06/brute-in- ... ng-at-him/
Wendall : That's very linear Sheriff
Ed Tom : Age will flatten a man Wendall

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:45 pm

That is seriously messed up. And, I can see that being me. I avoid the subways as much as I can (mostly because I prefer to walk) but there are times that I can't. And, I've been on that train and in that exact spot. And, I'm the guy who just stares off into space listening to music but I can imagine someone thinking I'm looking at them.

There is no explanation for that. None. The article didn't sound like there was an arrest. But, given how easy it is to see his face, I bet someone recognizes him. And, if he takes the subway every day it's a sure bet the cops will grab him. Hopefully that guy ends up where he belongs.

As to your point, I don't disagree but we are not going to easily solve the problem of there being psychopaths in our society. I'm not sure how we even go about stopping something like that. Can't we maybe take away some of the tools they use to cause violence? This guy used his fists, but his victim will survive. Imagine he used a gun. Imagine he used a semi-automatic gun. How many innocent people would die because this moron had a bad hair day or whatever his excuse is going to be when he's caught? We should start with the easy, obvious things, like making weapons of mass destruction unavailable to people like him.
Alex Cora sucks. Mickey Callaway sucks. Baseball sucks. Everything and everyone just sucks. Is it football season yet?

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:50 pm

We should start with the easy, obvious things, like making weapons of mass destruction unavailable to people like him.

How are we going to identify all the people like him?
Fire Alex Cora. (On hold pending further review)

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:42 pm

We can't.

I wasn't suggesting finding the people. I was advocating removing the guns. Not all of them. I'm all for keeping hunting rifles, sport guns, pistols (6 shooters), etc. But, semi-automatic guns? Get rid of them.

Yes, I know that's not going to happen. But a boy can dream.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:42 pm

psu_dad wrote:I found this to be a very complicated thing to sort out. There are cultural, medical and political factors that affect the way individual countries deal with this. But generally speaking, we're the most "medicated" country on the planet and there isn't a close second.

I missed this response earlier.

This is a topic that I am very interested in, too, for a lot of reasons not worth getting into. Considering my penchant for becoming informed on topics that I'll never have an opportunity to do anything with, this is one that I probably should spend more time on. And yet, I do not.

As for your last point, I don't know that you're right but I'd be shocked if you were not. Does that contribute to the mentality of violence that leads to things like school shootings? I have no idea. But, it doesn't seem to be beyond reason to think that there could be some serious links. I know that certain anti-depression drugs have hade some serious negative impacts on teenagers and have contributed to violent incidents that lead to shootings, suicides, etc. So, it's perfectly reasonable, I think, to assume there is a link with shootings.

Who knows. We're all just along for the ride in this country.

Crowbar

Postby Crowbar » Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:47 pm

sameoldlama wrote:This illustrates a point I made earlier of people being confrontational and taking everything as a perceived slight calling for a confrontation - until we can figure out why someone attacks someone - from behind as they walk away from him - for looking at him the wrong way (and likely the victim was just staring off into space on his subway ride home) - discussing the manner in which someone commits a violent act misses much of the issue at hand

https://nypost.com/2018/03/06/brute-in- ... ng-at-him/

WTF is wrong with this animal?
41-33.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:36 pm

As for your last point, I don't know that you're right but I'd be shocked if you were not.

My son told me an interesting story about his recent trip to Austria. He has a minor knee issue that flares up occasionally. It flared up while he was in Austria and he asked someone at the front desk of his hotel if he could have a couple of Ibuprofen.tablets. They apologized and told him they couldn't give him such a thing and directed him to to the apothecary down the street. Not a WaWa or a 7-11. He had to go to an apothecary. The pharmacist there asked him why he needed ibuprofen. He explained and the pharmacist agreed that ibuprofen was appropriate. He then gave my son a detailed description of all the possible side effects before actually handing him the ibuprofen. That's ibuprofen. Not Xanax. Not Zoloft. Ibuprofen.

And we dish out mind-altering drugs like they were Junior Mints. I really really really hope & pray we know what we're doing, but it concerns me.
Fire Alex Cora. (On hold pending further review)

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:01 pm

That is more lobbying and money in politics in action. The NRA isn't the only group throwing money around DC. The pharmaceutical industry is laying the stuff down like carpet. Call it a crazy hunch, but I think there's a connection.

LioninVa

Postby LioninVa » Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:04 am

psu_dad wrote:And we dish out mind-altering drugs like they were Junior Mints. I really really really hope & pray we know what we're doing, but it concerns me.

This is very true. When my oldest son was in 3rd grade, his teacher contacted us because he was struggling and she wanted to test he reading comprehension. He scored somewhere between 7th and 8th grade reading levels so she decided he was holding out or had some other issue. We followed up with a therapist to see what we could due. After a couple of sessions and some diagnostic testing, he determined that our son had no attention disorders or anything, and was just lazy or bored. He did, however, offer to prescribe Ritalin if we desired it. We declined, which I hope would be the obvious choice, but I am probably wrong...