Random Thoughts Again

Crowbar

Re: Random Thoughts Again

Postby Crowbar » Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:32 am

We too have had "experts" say our son should be medicated, or whatever, due to attention issues and some hyperactivity. In essence, he was a young boy and perfectly acting the part. Praise Jesus my wife and I had enough sense to say no to that garbage.

Happy to say he is fine and doing great in school. Yes, he can still get keyed up, but that is just a symptom of age.
41-33.

Crowbar

Postby Crowbar » Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:36 am

Not to double post.

Anyway, when he does go bonkers, I give him the best medication available. I send him outside to run off the excess energy.
41-33.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:25 am

On the question of why we are so violent, my favorite writer Matt Taibbi has some opinions on the topic. His thoughts are just that - opinions. But, I think he makes some valid points.
Alex Cora sucks. Mickey Callaway sucks. Baseball sucks. Everything and everyone just sucks. Is it football season yet?

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:11 am

I'm not buying that.

According to the U.N., the United States is 98th in the world in terms of murder rate (per 100k people). And there are dozens of countries ahead of us that do not have large military forces. "Giant militarized countries breed violent populations." Really? Then how do you explain Mexico having 3x the murder rate of the U.S., South Africa having 4x the murder rate of the U.S. and Brazil having 5x the murder rate of the U.S.?
Fire Alex Cora. (On hold pending further review)

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:49 am

Except for South Africa, the countries you mention all have serious problems and a lot of instability. They are really dysfunctional, and are really broken up into "haves" and "have nots". They are borderline failed states. And there is so much violence that I suspect their populations are very desensitized to it.

South Africa is a different case. They certainly have problems, but they are not Mexico. I don't know enough about SA to really guess as to what goes on there. Maybe decades of apartheid have caused it. Don't know.
Alex Cora sucks. Mickey Callaway sucks. Baseball sucks. Everything and everyone just sucks. Is it football season yet?

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:27 am

They are really dysfunctional, and are really broken up into "haves" and "have nots".

So are we. Just not as extreme.

The murder rate in this country is largely driven by the astronomical murder rates in poor dysfunctional areas. Do you really think the people there are killing each other because of the US Navy or the USMC? The mass shootings are a different animal, but they are a very small percentage of the country's murders and I suspect most of those perpetrators are motivated by mental illness.

I don't really know for sure, either. I just didn't think Taibbi's explanation made much sense.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:40 am

It's not perfect, obviously. I do think he's on to something with how desensitized we seem to be, but who knows what the cause is. You look at that story that Lama posted and I'm disbelief. What drives people to do things like that? I have no clue.

On other news, I'm working from home today because of the storm. On the news they are talking about how we will be forced to eat our own dead to survive by nightfall but I'm looking at the window and it's barely snowing out. In fact, I'm questioning why I didn't go into the office. There seems to be a disconnect between what the local news is saying and what my eyes are telling me. Clearly my eyes are wrong.

LioninVa

Postby LioninVa » Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:00 am

I haven't watched much news the past few days as I am working on stripping and painting some bedroom furniture that my wife found. I didn't accomplish much over the weekend after whatever storm it was that passed by left at least a billion pine cones and branches in my yard. I can't believe there are still any in the trees. I had heard that some of my friends from up northeast way mention that there was no school, but I didn't realize why. I will say, the weather guessers do tend to dramatize the potential effects of the next storm of the century of the week. When I was in junior high, we had a series of storms blow through over a 3 week period, many brought tornado warnings (which are unusual in Erie). By the time a tornado actually hit, the area was tired of hiding in their basements every time it rained.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:18 am

There seems to be a disconnect between what the local news is saying and what my eyes are telling me.

The local news here is basically saying "we have no idea". We're right on the edge of the projected snow/rain line, but there's a large enough margin of error in the projection to make a forecast with any certainty. Maybe just rain. Maybe an inch or two of snow. Maybe 18 inches.

So they haven't officially posted the Zombie Apocalypse Alert yet.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:41 am

The forecast here is holding steady and the snow is starting to pick up some. It's still not accumulating on the road but that's supposed to start by noon. I am hoping for enough to break out the snow blower I bought last year but I am equally hoping we don't get 12 inches because that's going to be a big headache.