Random Thoughts Again

sameoldlama

Re: Random Thoughts Again

Postby sameoldlama » Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:43 am

After the snowstorm I am hoping for a serious push of global warming for about 48 hours - otherwise getting my Jeep out of airport parking lot is going to be a PITA
Wendall : That's very linear Sheriff
Ed Tom : Age will flatten a man Wendall

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:29 pm

You better hope they plow because it's really coming down now. 30 minutes ago it was a light flurry. But, now there are giant snow boulders falling from the sky. It's actually pretty impressive. But, if this keeps up we are going to hit that 8 - 12" forecast.
Alex Cora sucks. Mickey Callaway sucks. Baseball sucks. Everything and everyone just sucks. Is it football season yet?

Crowbar

Postby Crowbar » Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:23 pm

Yeah, glad I stayed home today.

On the other hand, I have a hunch my brother is going to be delayed flying back from Arizona today. Not that being in Arizona is a bad thing today.
41-33.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:58 pm

I apologize to the Snow Gods for doubting them and making light of their power.

Now, please, make it stop. Seriously, we've gotten over 6 inches since freaking noon. It's 3 as I'm writing this. I blocked out an hour in my calendar starting at 3:30 to go and start clearing it.
Alex Cora sucks. Mickey Callaway sucks. Baseball sucks. Everything and everyone just sucks. Is it football season yet?

Crowbar

Postby Crowbar » Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:52 pm

I just got done shoveling snow. The older I get the more I resent it.
41-33.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:04 pm

After that big storm last March, I went to Sears and bought a snow blower on sale for ~$600. It was marked down from around $700. Buying it so late in the season got me an upgrade over what I was willing to spend. I put it together last year and it has sat in my garage waiting to be used. I put gas in it for the first time and fired it up. My drive is about 60' long and this was around 8 inches of dense, heavy snow. I cleared 90% of it in like 40 minutes. I will have to shovel around the cars, but the blower was great. Best $600 I have spent in my life.

My advice is go to Sears this weekend or in the next few weeks and buy a blower for next year. If you have a Sears card, you can even get 0% interest for 6 months (I did that and just paid it off in 5 months - I'm the kind of the 0% interest pay off). You'll have it next year and shoveling will be a whole lot easier.

Seriously, that was easy. It's still some work - my hands got a little numb at the end, but it is dramatically easier than shoveling. It would have taken me hours to clear the drive, even with my sons helping me. Doing almost the whole thing in 40 minutes was amazing.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:31 pm

When my sons were both away at college and shoveling the driveway myself became too much of a chore, I initially hired a local guy with a plow on his pickup truck. He did an OK job, but it wasn't cheap and he had a lot of houses so he couldn't do mine exactly when I wanted it done.

So I bought a snowblower and immediately regretted not having done so 30 years ago. Somehow I had it in my head that they were high maintenance and awkward to use. I don't recall why. But mine is easy to use, has required no maintenance so far other than oil changes I do myself and it's an enormous time (and back) saver over shoveling. My driveway is about the same size as yours and I can usually do that and the front walk in about 45 minutes (vs hours shoveling). If we get a foot or more, I'll even plow a "racetrack" for my boxer in the back yard. I have the scoop set slightly above ground level so I don't chew up the lawn.
Fire Alex Cora. (On hold pending further review)

LioninVa

Postby LioninVa » Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:01 pm

I haven’t really considered a snowblower as we get,at most, a snowfall of more than a couple inches every few years. We have had a foot or more three times in almost 20 years. We did buy a generator four or five years ago when a hurricane had us in her sights and I was working 12 hour days. The storm veered off and no other one has come too close since. My wife suggested selling is, since we haven’t put oil or fuel in it yet, but I am not one to tempt fate!

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:19 pm

But mine is easy to use, has required no maintenance so far other than oil changes I do myself and it's an enormous time (and back) saver over shoveling

I was actually physically exhausted from using the blower and am feeling it still. I suspect that's because that snow was so wet and heavy that it was a lot of extra work. I had to keep backing the thing up and pushing it to get the snow. And, I had to continuously clear the shoot. I imagine that for lighter snow this is a breeze but for this wet stuff it was hard work.

Still a whole lot easier than 3 hours of shoveling, though.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:35 pm

Interesting. Perhaps mine is a bit larger and more powerful. It's a 24-inch Ariens with a 250cc engine. It has 6 speeds in forward and 2 in reverse. I never have to apply any force. The only time I have to go "back & forth" is when we get a large snowfall and the street plows leave 3 feet of packed snow at the end of my driveway.
Fire Alex Cora. (On hold pending further review)