Random Thoughts Again

Blue&White

Re: Random Thoughts Again

Postby Blue&White » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:24 am

Another school shooting, this time in Maryland, near DC. Early reports were 3 people shot but I expect early reports to be off. I was just thinking "aren't we overdue for a school shooting? It's been like 2 weeks!".
#Emmertknew

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:46 am

Texas and Federal law enforcement figured out who that lunatic bomber was in Austin. When they closed in on him, the bastard blew himself up.

Good riddance. And, great job by the local authorities for nailing that guy. Shame they couldn't get him even sooner but given it was looking for a needle in a haystack I'd say that was pretty quick. I read earlier that they tracked him a number of ways, including the batteries he used to build the bombs.

Glad they got him. I bet the people of Austin are really happy.
#Emmertknew

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:08 pm

It was largely modern technology that brought him down.

He paid for stuff with a CC instead of cash. Not terribly bright. And the authorities electronically scanned receipts from local stores to find "suspicious" purchases. When this made him a suspect, a Federal search warrant was used to get his IP address. That revealed that he had been making "suspicious" Google searches.

Fifty years ago, they're probably still looking for him.
Fire Alex Cora.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:32 pm

Probably.

I am surprised they are being so forthcoming about how they caught him. Just highlights what not to do for the next lunatic.
#Emmertknew

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:04 pm

Ted Kaczynski (the Unabomber) eluded capture for something like 18 years. But he was (violently) opposed to all modern technology so they weren't going to nail him that way. He lived like a hermit in a cabin with no electricity. He wasn't using CCs and he wasn't wandering into FedEx stores that videotaped all its customers. He was placing his packages in old-school corner mail boxes.

It was hubris that eventually brought him down. He sent a "manifesto" to the media which they printed. His younger brother immediately recognized the unique style of prose and knowing of his older brother's mental "issues", he contacted the FBI.
Fire Alex Cora.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:43 pm

I remember Kaczynski, including his manifesto and how it brought him down. He had been seen previously, btw. But, he did generally stick to mailing vs. drop off. But it is a radically different time now and him even mailing bombs may have gotten him caught a lot sooner if he were operating today. Just buying the supplies may have done it. It's a counter-factual and impossible to answer, but law enforcement has a lot more tools than they had when they arrested Kaczynski 23 years ago.
#Emmertknew

LioninVa

Postby LioninVa » Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:41 pm

To ship or mail a package now, you need some form of contact with a carrier; either at the office to pay the fee or something online to pay the fee and arrange pick up. We can't just drop a box with stamps into the mailbox anymore. I don't remember if that was a reaction to the Unabomber or just part of post 9-11 life.

I am also kind of surprised the investigators outlined how this guy was caught. I would think they want to keep that kind of process more under wraps.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:43 pm

We can't just drop a box with stamps into the mailbox anymore.

Interesting. I didn't know that.

In the Olden Days, you could slap a few $1 postage stamps on a package and drop it into a street corner collection box. If it fit in a collection box,the cost to mail it was just a matter of weight, so you could figure that out yourself. And there would be no record of you mailing the package. That's how the Unabomber mailed his packages. But according to USPS.com, if you drop ANYTHING over 13 oz. into a into a street corner collection box with postage stamps on it, the package "will be returned to you".

That's not much. The average hardcover book weighs more than that. Apparently, this rule was established about 10 years ago and is described as a "security measure".

Mrs psu_dad: Maybe you should stop doing Google searches on the mailing of bombs.
Me: You may have a point.
Fire Alex Cora.

Carl Spackler

Postby Carl Spackler » Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:04 pm

Dad and all, this is an informational day for me. I don't access boxes, other than our personal mail box at the end of our driveway, so I rarely use them to mail anything. I had no idea there was a restriction on weight, there isn't one in our mail box, :)

Yes, why would the authorities reveal the method they apprehended this criminal. It only serves to warn others to use other manners to distribute weapons of terror. Were they bragging or self aggrandizing? That is a potential motive to elevate themselves given the current sentiment after the Florida police cowardice at the school. I have no idea but won't be mailing things weighing more than 13 oz anymore, not that I did in the first place other than packages to our daughter for our grandchildren. Those never seem to be able to be sent for several $1 stamps, unfortunately.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:19 pm

Yes, why would the authorities reveal the method they apprehended this criminal. It only serves to warn others to use other manners to distribute weapons of terror.

My wife feels the same way about the active shooter drills at her school. All they are doing is showing a future psychopath the routine so he knows where all the kids will be and how to reach them.
#Emmertknew