Random Thoughts Again

psu_dad

Re: Random Thoughts Again

Postby psu_dad » Sat May 12, 2018 12:18 pm

I've never understood the Jeep thing. I've known people who love them but they seem pricey for what you get. I'm probably missing something.
Fire Alex Cora. (On hold pending further review)

LioninVa

Postby LioninVa » Sat May 12, 2018 1:06 pm

They are overpriced today, but most vehicles are. In the mid 90’s, a used Cherokee wasn’t too bad. And they were easy to maintain and work on.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Sat May 12, 2018 2:12 pm

I'm loyal about some things. The girl who cuts my hair I work my schedule around hers. There are other people I can use in her place, but I don't. I wait for her. And, she appreciates it. She has even joked with me about it. But, she does a good job and I like her, so I'll work my schedule around hers so she cuts my hair. I used to go to the same place to get work on my cars done but the manager left over some fight with the owner. I always felt he was really honest with me and cut me a break on a few things over the years. But, when he left, so did my loyalty to that shop. I started taking my cars to the Firestone across the street from them. I've also been using the same plumber since I bought this house. I found him at random when I moved in but they showed up, did work and the price was reasonable. That was enough. I've used that company for 10 years now. And, they know me (I have a 50 year old house. copper piping, well water and it's very heavy so we get a lot of leaky pipes). The relationship is such that when I have a problem, they come and I always feel I'm getting an honest assessment from them. But, to your point, screw me over one time and we're done.

Commodity type services I have zero loyalty. I switch oil suppliers every year. I always take advantage of a "new customer" rate and then I leave in a year. Anything like that I go for the lowest cost supplier every single time.
Alex Cora sucks. Mickey Callaway sucks. Baseball sucks. Everything and everyone just sucks. Is it football season yet?

Crowbar

Postby Crowbar » Sun May 13, 2018 8:28 am

Happy Mother's Day to all our mothers!!!

And if there are any mothers who read or post here, hope you have a blessed day!
41-33.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Sun May 13, 2018 10:30 am

Our society is doomed.

What sane person can possibly think this is ok for their kids? The money doesn't make it ok. People are really sick.
Alex Cora sucks. Mickey Callaway sucks. Baseball sucks. Everything and everyone just sucks. Is it football season yet?

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Sun May 13, 2018 10:59 am

"In the future, everyone will be world-famous for 15 minutes." -- Andy Warhol, 1968

In retrospect, that was a stunning prediction. At the time, the Great Unwashed had no access to any medium of public expression. You had to own a TV station or a newspaper. And because of the limited "bandwidth" of a daily newspaper and one hour of news on TV a day, the average person had to do something significant to get noticed. Now everyone has media access. And unfortunately, "everyone" includes a lot of knuckleheads.

It's a new world. A scary new world.
Fire Alex Cora. (On hold pending further review)

Crowbar

Postby Crowbar » Sun May 13, 2018 12:53 pm

Blue&White wrote:Our society is doomed.

What sane person can possibly think this is ok for their kids? The money doesn't make it ok. People are really sick.

I agree.

We are doomed. That was disgusting.
41-33.

PSUgrower

Postby PSUgrower » Sun May 13, 2018 5:26 pm

A change of pace a bit. Yesterday I was able to golf with my best friend that I met when I was 8. We rarely see each other during the winter but once golfing season hits we see each other once a week. Anywho, he adopted 2 kids and he has 2 of his own. We grew up in a middle class white area- farming community too. He adopted a black/hispanic girl and a black kid. The girl brought some baggage because she was molested when she was really young. She struggled in school and still struggles today, but they have given her an awesome life.

The black kid is really struggling in white suburbia for obvious reasons. There are a few other black families in the community so he has been able to make a few friends that are black. Last week he decided to skip school with another kid. The kids parked their car in a neighboring development because they didn't want people to know they cut school. That makes sense in my opinion. Well, when they were walking through one of the neighbors yards, that neighbor decided to call the police and say that there are 2 people in the neighborhood burglarizing homes. I am willing to bet $1,000,000 that if it were 2 white kids walking through that development the police would not have been called. My buddy's boy got in a good amount of trouble from his dad but he also got a lesson in life. Unfortunately, It is one of those lessons that should not be happening in 2018 but it does.

Crowbar

Postby Crowbar » Sun May 13, 2018 7:30 pm

PSUgrower wrote:A change of pace a bit. Yesterday I was able to golf with my best friend that I met when I was 8. We rarely see each other during the winter but once golfing season hits we see each other once a week. Anywho, he adopted 2 kids and he has 2 of his own. We grew up in a middle class white area- farming community too. He adopted a black/hispanic girl and a black kid. The girl brought some baggage because she was molested when she was really young. She struggled in school and still struggles today, but they have given her an awesome life.

The black kid is really struggling in white suburbia for obvious reasons. There are a few other black families in the community so he has been able to make a few friends that are black. Last week he decided to skip school with another kid. The kids parked their car in a neighboring development because they didn't want people to know they cut school. That makes sense in my opinion. Well, when they were walking through one of the neighbors yards, that neighbor decided to call the police and say that there are 2 people in the neighborhood burglarizing homes. I am willing to bet $1,000,000 that if it were 2 white kids walking through that development the police would not have been called. My buddy's boy got in a good amount of trouble from his dad but he also got a lesson in life. Unfortunately, It is one of those lessons that should not be happening in 2018 but it does.

God Bless your friend for adopting the kids. That is truly awesome.

It's a shame about the run in with the police though.
41-33.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Sun May 13, 2018 8:35 pm

My buddy's boy got in a good amount of trouble from his dad but he also got a lesson in life.

He's lucky he has a life. Being black is a threatening thing in this country and sometimes cops shoot first and ask questions later. As for the lesson, what did he expect? In the past week there was a story about a woman in CA who called the police on some black people because they didn't smile and wave at her. Another white woman called the police on some black folks for having a bar-b-q in a park. And then in NJ you had an LA fitness that kicked out a black member and his guest. The amazing thing about the last story is the same manager who signed in the men then questioned their right to be there. Subsequent follow-ups on that story revealed that this had been an ongoing thing in that gym and LA Fitness fired 3 people over it.

But, point is, being black in an almost all white neighborhood and having someone call and accuse you of burglary is a good way to end up arrested or dead. Glad your friends kid is ok. Hopefully he did learn a less about cutting school. Unfortunately, he also learned a lesson about being black in this country.