Random Thoughts Again

PSUgrower

Re: Random Thoughts Again

Postby PSUgrower » Sun May 13, 2018 8:53 pm

He is 16 years old being raise by white parents in white suburbia. They haven't instilled in him the antitrust he should have in the police. He was being a kid walking to his friend's house. I got what your saying Bdub but this kid probably has a better chance at winning the lotto than being shot by police. Next time I golf with my buddy I will ask him if he has talked to his son about this stuff. I guarantee he has talked to his son but I have no clue as to how deep it has gone.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Sun May 13, 2018 9:31 pm

I got what your saying Bdub but this kid probably has a better chance at winning the lotto than being shot by police.

No, he doesn't. You'd like to believe he does. I'd like to believe he does. But, sadly, that statement is absolutely incorrect. And, it's not a factor of him. It's a factor of the society he lives in.
Hire Alex Cora

PSUgrower

Postby PSUgrower » Sun May 13, 2018 11:02 pm

It was kind of a sarcastic comment. I completely get what you are saying. I think the black/white issue in this country is a huge issue that a lot of people don't think exists.

sameoldlama

Postby sameoldlama » Mon May 14, 2018 11:20 am

psu_dad wrote:I've never understood the Jeep thing. I've known people who love them but they seem pricey for what you get. I'm probably missing something.

If you just view a car a practical means of conveyance and economy is what you value then the Jeep is not for you. I like driving (under certain conditions) and I've had two vehicles I loved.
I loved my Mustang convertible (Buddha rest its soul and curse the soul of the jerk who killed it) - on the open road with top down it handled so smoothly even at high speed it felt like you were a part of the road. I've rented convertible Mustangs and Camaros on vacations out West - nothing like being only vehicle on the road to nowhere with miles and miles of visibility, a long, smooth straight shot and cruising along at 90mph.
Love the Jeep. Love the fact that if it snows a foot I can still leave my house and go wherever I want. When I lived in Arizona I loved driving off road in the desert and getting to places 95% of the population never gets to see. I love riding with the top & doors off - especially at night in the summer - it just feels great.

I just get a sense of independence and freedom with Jeep because it is a simple, rugged go anywhere, anytime vehicle.
Wendall : That's very linear Sheriff
Ed Tom : Age will flatten a man Wendall

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Mon May 14, 2018 12:59 pm

If you just view a car a practical means of conveyance and economy is what you value then the Jeep is not for you.

That sums me up perfectly. I'm not much of a "car guy". I just want something to get me from point A to point B.

When I was in college, I used to tutor this vet. He had purchased an Alpha Romeo Spider when he got out of the service, but he got married a year later and needed to economize. He offered it to me for a great price to avoid the remaining payments. I was totally smitten with it after driving it, but I couldn't swing the payments, either. That was the first/last car I ever got emotionally attached to, but realistically, it probably would have been a high-maintenance headache. Like dating an incredibly hot chick who is also batshit crazy.
Fire Alex Cora. (On hold pending further review)

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Mon May 14, 2018 1:08 pm

Like dating an incredibly hot chick who is also batshit crazy.

Different topic, but I defy you to find a incredibly hot chick who isn't batshit crazy.

As for jeeps, I like the Wranglers but I don't get the Cherokee. It's just another SUV. But, the Wranglers? Those I like. I've always wanted to get one but it's just not realistic for my lifestyle and I can't really justify the expense of a 3rd car as a toy.

If I were a superhero I'd be Practical Man! The most boring superhero of them all.
Hire Alex Cora

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Mon May 14, 2018 1:11 pm

speaking of superheroes, no sooner did I post that than I got a phone blast that Margo Kidder just died. She played Louis Lane in the Superman movie that starred Christopher Reeves.
Hire Alex Cora

LioninVa

Postby LioninVa » Mon May 14, 2018 1:38 pm

I saw that about Margo Kidder when I got back to my desk. (The batshit crazy ties into this with her as well; not a dig as much as a statement of fact)

Anyway... I love the Wrangler as well, but the Cherokee isn't just another SUV. It is arguably the original SUV. Mine was boxy with precise edges, not like the smooth and rounded looking ones today. These days, you can't tell one brand from another.

sameoldlama

Postby sameoldlama » Mon May 14, 2018 1:40 pm

Jeep is supposed to becoming out with a pick up based on the Wrangler next year if that helps with the "practical aspect" for some of you guys. I will have a freedom top and you can get extended cab like the Wrangler Unlimited for more seating space / 4 door.

sameoldlama

Postby sameoldlama » Mon May 14, 2018 2:24 pm

SCOTUS has opened the door for legalized sports gambling for any state interested - 25 years too long in the waiting but happy day.

Could be a real boost for A.C.