These are a few more of my favorite peeves

LioninVa

Re: These are a few more of my favorite peeves

Postby LioninVa » Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:50 pm

When I transferred from Charleston to Pearl Harbor, we had a two year old. The transfer clerk booked us in the middle five seat section, each end and the middle seat, gal a long flight from Atlanta to Honolulu . She was betting on nobody taking the two singles since it was August and she was right.

sameoldlama

Postby sameoldlama » Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:50 pm

PittGradPSUMad wrote:
sameoldlama wrote: Which is half as many times as he referenced drinking Tito's vodka - apparently declaring you drink this brand is a modern method of declaring you have a big cock - kind of like the suburban guy who drives an F350 truck to his accounting job and can't stop telling you about all his guns.
That was one Emmerty Friday.

So, now you're telling me I'll have to give up Tito's vodka? I figured that changing my nom de guerre from Johnny Hanglo would have been enough to fool the masses.

I'm assuming you don't work in a Tito's reference into every third sentence you utter in public venues. So as long as you just use the brand name - say when your ordering a drink or purchasing it at a spirits store you're all good.

And yes walking out to the Jeep this afternoon in the airport parking lot to clear the snow off was not pleasant.
Wendall : That's very linear Sheriff
Ed Tom : Age will flatten a man Wendall

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:30 am

I'm back on the road next week. Flying into Charlotte, and I know exactly what you mean about the bathroom attendants. I really can't stand that. I hate when places in New York have it but it's a bit much to add people into an airport bathroom. Unless you're offering to hold it, I'm really doing all the heavy lifting myself. I'm not throwing money at someone because they handed me a paper towel afterwards. I can get my own paper towel, TYVM.

So, here is another peeve - aggressive driving. Especially on the morning commute. I sort of get it on the way home. On the way home you want to get home and anyone who gets in your way obviiously deserve to have you drive 3 inches off their rear bumper until they move over - even if it's a single lane road and there is someone in front of them. They should sitll find a way to move so you can get home. But, people who slalom between cars on the way into the office just baffle me. You're going to risk smashiing into someone so you can be in the office 3 minutes earlier? Really? Screw that.

I had a real eppiphany about aggressive driving about 20 years ago. Back then, my morning commute had me taking a road that at one point went from 3 lanes to 2, and also had a merge from another road. So, it was effectively 4 lanes to 2 lanes. And, it was ugly every morning. People tried to stay in that 3rd ending lane as long as they could and then fight all the way to the left lane to avoid that next merge of traffic. And, every morning you saw people trying to squeeze their cars in, trying to not let cars squeeze in front of them, and constant accidents. People were screaming at each other and you could tell just by looking at people how enraged they were every single morning. And, I was absolutely one of those people. Then one morning it hit me - what the f*ck am I getting angry about? I would show up to work every single morning extremely stressed all over my commute. So, I changed tactics.

After that, what I did was stop riding that right lane to the last minute and just got all the way into the left way earlier. Since everyone was merging into that lane, it ended up moving slower. But, I didn't care as I was already there and didn't have to fight my way in. And, to make it even less stressful, I left a lot of room between me and the car in front of me and let every single person who wanted to merge in front of me in. I would slow down and waive cars right in front of me (to the chagrin of the people behind me). The minute I saw someone try to make that move into the left lane, I would just slow down and give them a friendly waive in. And, once I started doing that I found two interesting things: I was in a much more relaxed, and happier mood when I finally got into the office. And, my change in approach had just about zero impact on what time I got into the office. Maybe it cost me 3 minutes, but so what?
Is it baseball season yet?

PittGradPSUMad

Postby PittGradPSUMad » Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:55 am

So true. That approach reduces stress and makes me feel better by being part of the solution rather than part of the problem. Except for that time when an old geezer (defined as anyone a day older than me) rear-ended my vehicle, then proceeded to explain how the accident was my fault. I explained, nicely but firmly, that in 999,999 cases out of 1,000,000, the guy who does the rear-ending is at fault. Turned out, the old geezer had a long history of causing accidents by doing stupid shit. He then offered to pay out of pocket. Unfortunately for him, the old geezer had just rear-ended my company car which I was obligated to report. And that is yet another reason why I love retirement.....my longest morning commute entails walking from the bedroom to my Cuisinart grind-and-brew to fetch a delicious cuppa joe. No hassles, no old geezers except for the one staring back at me from the mirror. He looks shockingly my dad, the old geezer. May he rest in peace.
Yeah, well, that's like your opinion, man.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:19 pm

Lama

Didn't get the drunk guy announcing his drinks. Instead, I got the 45 year old drunk woman hitting on the 20 something guy she was sitting next to. Far from a peeve. More like inflight entertainment.

We are deplaning now and I can see he's trying to get away but I think he should go for it. She's attractive and he I'm pretty sure he won't have to stay the night. Maybe he's afraid of being puked on. I know I am.

sameoldlama

Postby sameoldlama » Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:48 pm

In the 80s a guy would be looking for any semi-discreet area to take that woman up on her offer. In 2018 he should be asking for affadavits from everyone seated in the rows around him that he didn't do anything wrong.

Be taking one of my last flights Monday - AOC working on making commercial air travel obsolete - well I'm not sure if we will get all the high speed rail built in the 10 years she's targeted (hell it took PennDOT over 10 years to add a lane to 476 between Lansdale and Mid County) or if we will have solar powered planes by then - but if a part time bartender doesn't have the answer who does? Good news is B&W might have to do a lot of rowing for his next trip to England - the weight will be coming right off!
Wendall : That's very linear Sheriff
Ed Tom : Age will flatten a man Wendall

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:05 am

Driving in this morning I was behind a woman who was clearly focusing on things other than driving. On the back-roads I take to get to the highway she was drifting almost - but not quite - into the lane of oncoming traffic and was genearlly not responding the way you would expect someone NOT on their phone to drive. Sure enough, when I got to a point where I pulled up next to her to make a right turn, I could see she was holding her phone.

I f*cking hate this. Put your damn phone down and drive. I am convinced I am going to die in a headon collision with some jackass who just had to look at that email while rounding a bend at 45 mph - and jumps the lane and goes head on into me. And, as a guy who rides bikes, I really hate that people are on their phones when they drive. I've had enough close calls with people that aren't engaged with technology that I really fear the cell phone.

Given how often I see people looking at their phones on the road it's a wonder there are not more accidents.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:57 am

I was actually surprised when I first learned there was a fine here for texting while driving. It never occurred to me that enough people were that stupid/reckless so as to warrant such a law being passed. It seemed to me like passing a law against poking yourself in the eye with a sharp stick. Why bother? Who is going to do that?

Shows how much I know.
Klaatu barada nikto