These are a few more of my favorite peeves

Carl Spackler

Re: These are a few more of my favorite peeves

Postby Carl Spackler » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:05 am

Not wanting to kick a dead horse, morbid, this is what we ran into last Sat. People are so self centered, self important, oblivious, entitled, arrogant, on and on the list grows. People we know so peripherally as to not justify more than three mins. of conversation tried to tie us up for a half hour at a funeral. One was very small, not in stature but in experience and social cognizance. The other was on a mission to tell me something but took so long to do so that I had to cut her off although she didn't get the hint of course and someone else cut her off physically, thank goodness.

These were not millennial(s) who have their own issues but more physically mature types who have never grown socially and lack common courtesy. Of course, common courtesy is uncommon to the point of nearly being extinct. We discussed this on our trip home, its remarkable that the lack of awareness of the setting and distance one travels to attend seems to make no difference to some. They target you and want to dominate you with their stories or woe, physical infirmity, gossip, local news, personal info no one wants to hear and so on. When you have to cut them off, and I'm quite polite, they do not get it.

Don't get me started on courtesy on the roads, it rarely exists. B&W's parking lot experience is common, they walk down the middle of the lane looking for their car as if it moved. No, it is where you left it pal and by the way you can walk to one side so I can pass without hitting you. Attending a PSU game many years ago, maybe in the late 70's we ended up parked in the middle of a group having a party. Fine, party away but do not set your wine bottle on the hood of my car and then proceed to sit on my car yourself, talk about the entitled self important type. We backed out, to jeering by the group, and drove to the end of the row where the parking guy said he wondered how long we would put up with what he saw. Thanks for helping. Any way life is full of these inconsiderate types and I'm sure I've probably done some inconsiderate things unknowingly and unaware at times, it happens yet I don't make a life's work of it. Please, just say no to inconsideration.
So I got that going for me...which is nice. It's a cross between Kentucky Bluegrass, Featherbed Bent and Northern California Sensimilla so you can play 36 holes on it,take it home at night and get stoned to the begesses belt

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:49 pm

Flying again. Nothing specific this time, but a TSA agent took umbrage with another guy and I highlighting what a joke airport security was, and how the deviations by airport pretty much proved a lot of the requirements were nonsense. She, to put it mildly, disagreed. And she was upset with our comments.

That's a no-win scenario for someone trying to catch a flight. But, when she informed me all these precautions were for MY benefit and MY safety, I almost blew out my teeth holding in the laugh. I left it at "agree to disagree", collected my stuff and left.
Alex Cora sucks. Mickey Callaway sucks. Baseball sucks. Everything and everyone just sucks. Is it football season yet?

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:00 pm

I have an idea. I have a great recipe for fudge brownies. Roughly 2500 calories per brownie. Why don't I make you a large batch and you can drop them off at a Weight Watchers meeting?
Fire Alex Cora. (On hold pending further review)

LioninVa

Postby LioninVa » Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:03 pm

And my mind immediately saw the scene from Meet the Focker's where he said to the flight attendant, "It isn't like I said 'Bomb" on a plane" "Sir, you can't say bomb on a plane..."

I feel your pain, B-dub, and am thankful that my new job doesn't have me fly like the old one did. The TSA people seemed to have put their senses of humor in the same storage vault with the secret service.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:32 pm

This is B&W on his next flight.

sameoldlama

Postby sameoldlama » Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:54 pm

Hope I am not jinxing myself as I have a flight next week - but I fly on average about 10 trips per year and I've never been treated impolitely or unprofessionally by TSA. My issues generally are more directed to fellow passengers who make the experience more miserable than it needs tobe.

B&W - I assume your TSA pre-check? That should help you avoid some of the nonsense. Or it could be a Philly / Newark thing. My most frequent trips go through Allentown and Nashville.
I would also say if you can avoid travelling Mondays / Fridays and can do midday flights there is a lot less volume through airport and less hassle.
Wendall : That's very linear Sheriff
Ed Tom : Age will flatten a man Wendall

PittGradPSUMad

Postby PittGradPSUMad » Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:14 pm

I had a TSA agent get very annoyed with me on a recent flight. I had to pass through the detector five times before we finally figured out what was setting it off. After the fourth attempt, she scolded me and said "we can just keep doing this, sir, you don't have to make your flight. I've got ALL day." I didn't respond because I could see an anal cavity search in my future. It was the metallic wrapping from a pack of certs that had come off in my back pocket.
Yeah, well, that's like your opinion, man.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:29 pm

I've never been treated impolitely or unprofessionally by TSA.

I ran into one TSA agent who was kind of a dick, but putting aside whether or not they serve a worthwhile purpose, I would have to say that most TSA agents I've encountered have been nicer than I would be in their position.

PS - Anyone who attempts to sneak a metallic certs wrapper onto a plane needs to be tasered. And if I'm waiting in line behind them, they should also be clubbed for good measure when they regain consciousness.

Mrs psu_dad: What is it with this taser obsession?
Me: If they were made legal here, I'd be heading to Best Buy two seconds later.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:36 pm

Lama

Believe it or not, I've not done the pre-check. It's been on my "to do" list for over a year. And, similar to you, my experiences with TSA people are generally fine. This was the exception by far. And, it's not even that she was rude as much as adamant.

Anyway, after that my flight was fine. Caught a cab, got to my hotel and was asked if I'd "mind" having a room with a pull out couch instead of a bed.

Ummmmm ...... yeah. I mean, who wouldn't.

Then they asked if I wanted a different room. I said I'd be fine with the same room if they just moved an actual bed into it. The woman thought that would be a lot of work and maybe just move me into a different room that had a bed.

I was tempted to push the point and ask why would you offer me the room of last resort if you had another room with a king size bed available? I decided to just take my victory, and my room key, shut up and move it along.
Alex Cora sucks. Mickey Callaway sucks. Baseball sucks. Everything and everyone just sucks. Is it football season yet?

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:47 pm

They were hoping to find someone willing to take that room before having to force it on someone. Sorta like when an airline asks for volunteers to give up their seat on an overbooked flight before booting someone off. Which is going to happen to you on your next flight, BTW.