These are a few more of my favorite peeves

Blue&White

Re: These are a few more of my favorite peeves

Postby Blue&White » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:00 am

Another travel morning, another airport, another set of randomly generated security rules implemented for my benefit. :roll: I did keep my mouth shut this time, though.

Another discovery that has the potential to be a future pain in the rump - my usual MO in Philly is to clear security at Gate A. All the gates are connected and a always has the shortest lines. B, C, and D are all done together and it's painful. This morning they were checking tickets to make sure you were hitting the right gate. They let me through since I was flying American (Gate A domestic is only American ) but that was not an encouraging sign.

It's almost like there is someone employed to figure out how frequent travelers are reducing the stress of flying and closing all those loopholes.
Alex Cora sucks. Mickey Callaway sucks. Baseball sucks. Everything and everyone just sucks. Is it football season yet?

sameoldlama

Postby sameoldlama » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:45 am

I took a minor loss on the seat lottery for my return trip last week - a woman from the body positivity movement was seated next to me - her overflow of seat was an annoyance but not too bad. Certainly not what a guy a couple rows ahead of me suffered - a guy who I regularly see flying out of my home airport - is basically round - and I mean he's as wide facing you as he is turned sideways. He had the aisle and had the arm rest up and overflowed into aisle so much people had to turn sideways to get by him.

I'd punch myself in the nuts to get out of sitting next to this guy on a flight - especially come summer.

May the travel Gods look upon you favorably B&W.
Wendall : That's very linear Sheriff
Ed Tom : Age will flatten a man Wendall

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:03 pm

Thanks. After this week no airplanes until early May. I've got some time booked in NYC in April but I just take the train in.

On the plus side, when I mentioned expensing the TSA precheck to my boss, he said he was shocked it has taken this long for me to bring it up. So, I'll kick that off next week.
Alex Cora sucks. Mickey Callaway sucks. Baseball sucks. Everything and everyone just sucks. Is it football season yet?

PSUgrower

Postby PSUgrower » Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:23 pm

I got blood work done in November of 2016 but I just got $218 bill. I call the doctors place and they talk to m. I ask them what can I do and they tell me to call my insurance company. I want to burn all of it to the ground! BTW- I wouldn't do that but it is enough to make someone crazy! Who doesn't have 30 minutes of a day to sit on the phone and listen to some shitty upbeat music!

Carl Spackler

Postby Carl Spackler » Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:58 pm

Welcome to my world. I've wandered through more phone trees than an arborist.

Just finished an argument with a dental ins. co. Their rules are atrocious. Now the appeal. :x

Of course, since I met my deductible and out of pocket maximum on Jan. 3rd I'm in the position to push them for about anything now.
So I got that going for me...which is nice. It's a cross between Kentucky Bluegrass, Featherbed Bent and Northern California Sensimilla so you can play 36 holes on it,take it home at night and get stoned to the begesses belt

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:39 am

I've got one that isn't quite a "pet peeve". It's more like a peeve that scrounges for food around my house. It's more of a feral peeve.

When I write a check for some large amount (anything over a few hundred dollars) and it takes a long time for the person or entity to cash the check. I rarely write checks. All my bills are set up with bill pay and the money is blocked off my account the day that I set it up to send, regardless of when the receiver actually cashes the check in. I live with my debit card and my checking account is very transactional. But, every now and again, I have to write a check for something large. Usually taxes. And, it takes forever to clear.

I'm having that right now with my local quarterly taxes. I usually figure out what I think I think I'm going to owe for the year for my wife and I. The quarterly taxes are a pain and I always am rushed at the end to get around to it. So, a few years ago I just started writing one big check at the end of Q1 and being done with it (sometimes I have to add a few dollars in Q4 if I underestimated a little bit). So, right now I have a large check sitting out there and it's taking forever for them to cash it. So, I have to make sure as money goes in and out of that account I constantly have enough to cover that check. It's not a big deal, just a pain in the rump.

Every morning I look at the account online hoping this is the day it clears. Nope. And, the worst part is I had both my quarterly taxes and school tax checks sitting there. So, over $3,000 between the two. The school taxes cleared this morning which took up a decent chunk of it, but I really need that quarterly tax bill to clear before my wife looks at the account and says "hey, money! I think I'll go buy something I don't need that covers that amount".

Shore Lion

Postby Shore Lion » Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:59 pm

One good thing about Maryland (yes there are a few) is that school taxes are just part of your county property tax bill. Counties run the school system in Maryland and the elected school board doesn't have independent taxing authority. They have to deal with what the county doles out to them and whatever contribution comes directly from the state. As far as economies of scale I think it makes a lot of sense.

psudelco

Postby psudelco » Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:05 pm

As someone who works in the service/hospitality industry people who are on their phone and continue their conversation and expect to be waited on, I will ignore you as long as you carry on your phone call, hang up the phone and I will gladly assist you.

Carl Spackler

Postby Carl Spackler » Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:55 pm

delco, you da man. Keep it up. I can't abide inconsiderate jerks as you describe. The "I"m so important I need to talk on my phone while I make you wait and waste your time because you don't count" jerk is a weed in society. :evil:
So I got that going for me...which is nice. It's a cross between Kentucky Bluegrass, Featherbed Bent and Northern California Sensimilla so you can play 36 holes on it,take it home at night and get stoned to the begesses belt

Crowbar

Postby Crowbar » Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:12 pm

psudelco wrote:As someone who works in the service/hospitality industry people who are on their phone and continue their conversation and expect to be waited on, I will ignore you as long as you carry on your phone call, hang up the phone and I will gladly assist you.

Amen.
41-33.