These are a few more of my favorite peeves

Carl Spackler

Re: These are a few more of my favorite peeves

Postby Carl Spackler » Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:39 pm

Interesting, my next older bro absolutely won't buy a car that is not a Subaru. He loves them and has had good luck with them. As far as azure tooth and talking radios, he is like me, stubborn, old school, no smart phone, anti fad/trendy and won't change (plus he turned 72 yesterday so he is on the back side of the hill).

He bought a used (always used, like me, never a new car in my life) Subaru w/17K on the odo. He told me in our call yesterday to acknowledge his bday, that this Subaru would be his last car to buy, see him out the door. I wish him well and hope his car does him well through it all. I'm surprised that so many board members have had the same brand of car. I did not know they were that popular? I thought is was a quirk of my brother....not like me at all who only buys USED Buick's.
So I got that going for me...which is nice. It's a cross between Kentucky Bluegrass, Featherbed Bent and Northern California Sensimilla so you can play 36 holes on it,take it home at night and get stoned to the begesses belt

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:46 pm

Subaru's reputation is they are low maintenance and run forever. I think my outback was the exception. Before thst I had a Baja (which I loved). 9 years ago last December some idiot made a left turn right in front of me. I was doing 45 and he turned in front of me leaving me under 50 feet to stop. You do the math.

I t-boned the guy. The front of my car plowed into him broadside. My then 7 year old son was in the back. The car blew apart. It was destroyed. My son and I walked away without a scratch. Can't argue with that. They are well built cars. Even with my one bad experience after 100k I may have bought another one if the Acura wasn't such a good deal.
Alex Cora sucks. Mickey Callaway sucks. Baseball sucks. Everything and everyone just sucks. Is it football season yet?

Carl Spackler

Postby Carl Spackler » Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:31 pm

Good to know, guess my bro was correct, for him. I don't think a Subaru will accommodate my bad back, at all. I'll take an old LeSabre or Park Avenue with high profile side wall tires, a cruiser that also protects you fairly well if you are involved in an accident. As I'm more often chaffered my Lucerne's electric controlled passenger seat is set for me and the drivers side has presets so Mrs. Spackler has hers as I do my own very different seat positions. I saw a commercial from Lincoln about a fancy dancy new seat that is all that AND down town w/ new shoes. Down the road I'll look at a used Lincoln w/ fancy dancy seats. Mrs. has fancied a Lincoln for some time now so it won't be a hard sell. She will hate to give up her LaCrosse CSX w/ the more powerful engine and shorter wheel base. She loves to push that pedal. :D
So I got that going for me...which is nice. It's a cross between Kentucky Bluegrass, Featherbed Bent and Northern California Sensimilla so you can play 36 holes on it,take it home at night and get stoned to the begesses belt

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:25 am

I don't think a Subaru will accommodate my bad back, at all.

I don't have a bad back, but I am considering breaking my streak of driving Honda Civics exclusively for over 30 years. I'm not a "car guy". I want reliable and economical and Civics fit the bill. But they're small and low to the ground and I'm getting weary of contorting myself to climb into them. It was also a big mistake getting a 2-door coupe last time. The doors are large to accommodate people getting into the back seat, but that makes them impossible to open completely when parking in my garage.

I'm going to look for something a tad larger next time, maybe with an electronic butt massage, like B&Ws luxury chariot.
Fire Alex Cora. (On hold pending further review)

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:17 am

Upgrade to the Accord over the Civic. Not that big a mystery.
Alex Cora sucks. Mickey Callaway sucks. Baseball sucks. Everything and everyone just sucks. Is it football season yet?

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:49 am

That's Plan A.

I've purchased a half dozen cars from a local Honda dealer over the years, so I usually get a very good price from them. And I don't have to deal with salesmen. I email the sales manager directly (the owner's daughter), tell her exactly what I want and get a price. I've never beaten their price elsewhere. You have to know exactly what you want going in, but as car transactions go, it's pretty painless.

Just thought I might examine some other options while I'm upgrading.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:11 am

My parents have owned nothing but Camry's since the mid 80s. Never had a problem. My mom just bought a new one in December and gifted her 2003 to me for my son who just started driving. I've had it about 6 weeks and already had to put $600 into it due to bad struts but the car is almost 15 years old with 120k on it, and it was free (other than the sales tax) so I can't complain. But, my parents both have them and swear by them. I figure I'll get another 50k out of it if it's taken care of.

Anyway, point is, if you have something you know us reliable you stick with it. You can't ever go wrong with a Toyota or Honda. Probably true of a Nissan too. And, Subaru fits that category too.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:48 am

Probably true of a Nissan too.

When I bought my first Honda Civic in the early 80s, it was a toss-up between that and the comparable Nissan model at the time (Sentra). I don't even recall what tilted the scale towards the Honda.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:21 am

Chick's dig the Civic. That must have been it.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:18 pm

I don't know about chicks, but thieves sure dig them.

For some reason, both the Accord and Civic have been at the top of the list of car models in terms of numbers stolen for many years. The last data I saw was from 2015(?) and indicated that about 50k of each model was stolen that year. The third place car (a pickup as I recall) was about half that.