These are a few more of my favorite peeves

Blue&White

Re: These are a few more of my favorite peeves

Postby Blue&White » Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:57 pm

I bought a used Accord when I was in law school. I think it was an 88 or somewhere around there. Sport coup. Great car. I loved it. Anyway, one day someone in a parking lot backed up and tapped the back and broke the tail light. Not a big deal and a easy to fix. The back light came in a pre-set compartment unit. You opened up the trunk, unscrewed 2 screws, disconnected the wire, snapped out the old unit, snapped in the new unit, connected the wire, put the screws back in, and done. It took all of 5 minutes. It was even easier to do than it sounds. There was, unfortunately, one small catch - that small part cost more than the whole freaking car did. Or, some number pretty close to it. It was criminal what both Honda and auto-parts stores wanted for that light housing. I dug into it and it turned out that Honda made changes to their parts - all their parts - like every 2 years. That meant the replacement costs for parts for Hondas were outrageous. And, as you could guess, that made the demand for stolen parts - and stolen cars - really high.

At that time my dad worked with someone who's son dealt in used auto parts (as far we know he was legit - his mom at least was). He was able to get me the part for a fraction of what it costs if I bought it through Honda or a store. I think I paid like $50 for it, and that was in the early 90s. The guy who hit me gave me $100 and we called it even.

I don't know if they still do that and I don't know if Toyota does that but Honda's used to be stole for their parts because they were so damn hard to find.
Is it baseball season yet?

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:30 pm

I found an article that supports your theory. Someone in the article claimed that because Hondas last a long time, there's a big demand for used parts and thieves can get top dollar for such parts. And yes, purchasing parts from Honda for older models is still outrageously expensive, which I'm sure helps the thieves get a good price for parts.

When I was in college, I had a VW Beetle. Half the college students in the country had one. I used to get it serviced by a local guy who advertised himself as an "unauthorized" VW Beetle repairman. He was much cheaper than the local dealership, largely because he had access to used/rebuilt parts he insisted were in perfect working condition. So one night I meet this guy at a party (a friend of a friend) and the topic of Beetles comes up and he mentions that he knows my WV mechanic well. When I asked how, he says "I used to steal Beetles for him."

Carl Spackler

Postby Carl Spackler » Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:04 pm

One issue about having a 2005 and 2007 auto is that shocks, struts, etc. begin to bleed oil eventually and need to be replaced. Older cars have deterioration issues that require ongoing maintenance. The benefit of having an older car is NO PAYMENTS. You can justify some repair with no payments. Plus you can still find some larger softer riding units that are good for aging backs, butts, necks, etc. My tire shop guys told me they have numerous 60 plus clients looking for pre-2005 LeSabre's, Park Avenues, Lincolns, Caddies, etc. for the ride and the 75 series sidewall for the flex in the ride. Our Lucerne has a 55 series sidewall. Even with the 17" size which I thought would make for a nicer ride the higher sidewall makes a significant difference when slightly under-inflated.

Our days of having 2 cars are numbered and when the Mrs. retires we will become a one car family unless we keep a cruiser for my back and just in case. Hate to insure & license a 2nd car just for that but its sure is nice when your #1 is in the shop, snow is in the forecast or you want to travel.
So I got that going for me...which is nice. It's a cross between Kentucky Bluegrass, Featherbed Bent and Northern California Sensimilla so you can play 36 holes on it,take it home at night and get stoned to the begesses belt

PittGradPSUMad

Postby PittGradPSUMad » Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:20 pm

We're on our 7th Subaru Outback since 1990. Not sexy, just reliable. Why look elsewhere?
Yeah, well, that's like your opinion, man.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:28 pm

When I was in college, I had a VW Beetle. Half the college students in the country had one. I used to get it serviced by a local guy who advertised himself as an "unauthorized" VW Beetle repairman. He was much cheaper than the local dealership, largely because he had access to used/rebuilt parts he insisted were in perfect working condition. So one night I meet this guy at a party (a friend of a friend) and the topic of Beetles comes up and he mentions that he knows my WV mechanic well. When I asked how, he says "I used to steal Beetles for him."

I grew up near the Englishtown Auction which used to be the largest outdoor market in the US and, per their advertising at the time, in the western world (it once advertised they were the biggest outdoor market in the "free world" but dropped that moniker at some point - not sure why). They sold off some of the land 20+ years ago so it's not as big but it's still pretty large and probably still is the largest flea market in the US.

Anyway, back in highschool before I was old enough to drive I used to get up before the crack of dawn and head out there on Saturday mornings to hustle for work. I could always find vendors who needed day help loading and unloading stuff and what acting as a runner. So, I spent a lot of time there in the early-80s. There used to be this guy in the back who sold hubcaps. He would spend the morning setting up these giant racks with hubcaps hanging on them. And, he had these kids that worked for him who all ran out during the day and would mysteriously come back with more hubcaps! The running joke was people would walk by, look at the display and think "hey, he has hubcaps that look exactly like mine" and then you'd get back to your car later and find out that they probably were yours!

chas

Postby chas » Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:53 am

PittGradPSUMad wrote:We're on our 7th Subaru Outback since 1990. Not sexy, just reliable. Why look elsewhere?

I drive cars into the ground. I would reconsider my buying habits if I replaced my car of choice every four years.

Carl Spackler

Postby Carl Spackler » Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:48 pm

Chas, we drive them close to into the ground, until the nickel and dime stuff begins to add up and the hand writing is on the wall. Wife hates car payments, so now she pays a TRACTOR payment each month (0% interest) but she still hates it. Rather pay it off and be done with it, maybe some day or next years tax refund unless another disaster hits in Jan. as usual. The tractor is the only new, large scale item other than a house that we every bought. Used cars all the way for us. Good used cars with roughly 30 to 60K miles on them. Last was an 07 Buick Lucerne, for my back, and it rides nice, has bells and whistles but no phone/radio connections, that I know of anyway. Heated seats that move in seemingly all directions electrically. Heated steering wheel which Mrs. Spackler loves also the heated seats, she really loves them on cold mornings. Do not like the tire pressure monitors that cost a hundred bucks to replace so we haven't replaced that last one that failed and the car still runs great. She cruises and seems to have a lot of power for a 195 hp engine. I go on but we found something we liked, wished there were less miles on it, 69K but not its 96K, they add up. Next time may be our last buy, a lower mileage auto that will take us home. On the back side of the hill now.

Everyone has a different take on car ownership and operation. interesting to read the differing ways each member looks at the issue. I can't imagine paying for a new car, the large payments, the loss of value when you drive it out of the dealers lot. That new car smell is not worth it to us. To each his/their own. Happy Days.
So I got that going for me...which is nice. It's a cross between Kentucky Bluegrass, Featherbed Bent and Northern California Sensimilla so you can play 36 holes on it,take it home at night and get stoned to the begesses belt

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:12 pm

My new peeve is that I'm not a Very Important Person. My company employees several Very Important People and I'm peeved I am not among them. I'm not sure how you get that status, but I know how to spot them easily enough. Why, just a little while ago I ran out to grab some lunch and when I came back there were 5 Very Important People walking not on the sidewalk but 5 abreast in our parking lot, making sure it was impossible to get past them. And, they saw my car was trying to get in to park but, again, they are Very Important People, sidewalks are beneath them, and they are entitled to block traffic.

And then when I came into the building I spotted 3 more Very Important People. They were the 3 women talking right in front of the turnstiles we have to pass through and swipe our badges to get into the building. They were blocking the ability of people to get back in because they were talking and, being Very Important People, it doesn't matter that they are causing a bottleneck. They matter and the rest of us peons clearly do not.

Sometimes I think what is going to lead to my early demise is my disdain at having to interact with my fellow humans. I think the primary attraction to dog rescue, for me, is that I get to deal with dogs. All dogs are great whereas most people just stress me out.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:17 pm

I believe it was psu_bob who years ago said something I'll repeat from memory:

"When I meet a dog for the first time, there's at about a 75% chance I'll find it likable. With people, it's about 25%."

sameoldlama

Postby sameoldlama » Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:06 pm

B&W
That relates to what I spoke of earlier - either people have become completely oblivious to anyone else sharing the plant with them or they feel extending a common courtesy is like being challenged.
In similar fashion, walking on any sidewalk or through an airport is like a game of chicken - yielding in any way to the person opposite you is a sign of weakness - it never ceases to amaze me that people won't tilt their shoulder or body or if walking several people abreast make any effort to accommodate the person coming in the opposite direction. Annoys me even more when I am on the exercise path running and bikers or walkers with multiple people taking up nearly the entire path width act like you don't exist - and I kind of feel the person running is expending the most effort so how about a little leeway and change your path folks.

As Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five opined - It's like a jungle out there makes me wonder how I keep from going under
Wendall : That's very linear Sheriff
Ed Tom : Age will flatten a man Wendall