These are a few more of my favorite peeves

PittGradPSUMad

Re: These are a few more of my favorite peeves

Postby PittGradPSUMad » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:27 pm

Yup, it's right up there with that plastic pocket protector you wore to keep your shirt ink-free. Chicks dug that about you.
Yeah, well, that's like your opinion, man.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:30 pm

I worked in a supermarket (Pathmark) in the mid-1980s when I was in high school. So, scanners were in use, and we were pulling away from pricing each item. One of my jobs was every Saturday I would spend like 8 hours having to put up the news tags under the items. I would get them when I came in, organize them by aisle, and spend the next several hours going up and down taking out the old label and putting in the new one. It was mind-numbingly boring. and, it took forever.

Sometimes the computer update didn't go in fast enough and the price and the label wouldn't match. Pathmark's policy was that if something scanned higher than the label price or the advertised price, you got it for free. There used to be this guy who came in in the middle of the night a few times a week with the weeks advertised flyers and would compare them to the prices on the label. Anything that didn't match, he would put in his cart. For anything that rang up at the advertised price, he said he didn't want it. For anything that rang up at a higher than advertised price, he kept. and paid $0. He cost that Pathmark a few hundred dollars every single week. He was known throughout the store as "Mr. Free". at one point there was a write-up on him in the Asbury Park Press, which was the primary newspaper in that area when I was a kid.

Mr. Free was my father's hero. He used to ask me each week how much money he took us for that week. He lived for that. I may not recall this exactly right, but I think he asked me to get him an autograph at one point. It was pretty embarrassing.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:56 pm

I had a sneaking suspicion you were the root cause of my problems.

Nope. The problem is that modern technology has made store clerks soft. When all that's required to ring up an item is to pass it over a scanner instead if manually entering a $$$ amount into a cash register, you have seriously lowered the bar. A chimpanzee can probably master that.

Back in the day, you had to be a stud to be a supermarket clerk.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:02 pm

Yup, it's right up there with that plastic pocket protector you wore to keep your shirt ink-free. Chicks dug that about you.

Those things drove housewives crazy. We had to carry mace to keep them at bay.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:39 pm

psu_dad wrote:Nope. The problem is that modern technology has made store clerks soft. When all that's required to ring up an item is to pass it over a scanner instead if manually entering a $$$ amount into a cash register, you have seriously lowered the bar. A chimpanzee can probably master that.

Back in the day, you had to be a stud to be a supermarket clerk.

Within the last year I had an experience at a sandwich place near my office. My food came to like $8.10 or something. I gave him $10.25 so I wouldn't get $0.90 back. Somehow he screwed up entering in the amount and gave me back more than $2.15 in change. It wasn't a huge error, it wasn't even a dollar, but it was wrong. So, whatever the extra was I tried to give him back. He said no, the change was right, and pointed to the number on the machine. I explained that (extremely simply and grade school) math that said he gave me too much change and must have hit the wrong key entering in what I gave him. He looked back at the machine, pointed again to what change it said to give me, and said "no, I gave you the right change".

whatever, it was a small amount and not worth my time, but I fully understood why that guy was in his mid-20s and working the register at a sub shop.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:04 pm

Some times I think they have become SO dependent on machines to do math for them, that they can't even recognize what should be obvious errors. I stopped at a Giant supermarket to pick up few things the last time I visited my son. From just a glance at the items on the conveyor belt, it should have been obvious that I had about $20-25 worth of stuff. The cashier rang it up and the following ensued:

CASHIER: $4.19 please.
ME: That can't be right.
CASHIER: That's what it says.
ME: That can't POSSIBLY be right.
CASHIER: Oh. That was just the last item. $22.15 please.

How could you work in a supermarket and even say "$4.19 please" for a purchase that was clearly 5x that much? How could the words come out of your mouth?

Jerry Garcia

Postby Jerry Garcia » Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:13 pm

So when I get around to making my referenced 'stink' (see previous page), which one of you supermarket superstars is going to make things right?

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:22 pm

I actually sucked at that job. It's amazing they didn't fire me. I was, at best, a JV supermarket employee. Best to look to someone else for help.

Just sayin'......

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:17 pm

So when I get around to making my referenced 'stink' (see previous page), which one of you supermarket superstars is going to make things right?

You would have loved my old store manager. He was an old-school type who went by "the customer is always right". No matter how big a PITA the customer was (and some of them were major PITAs) he would always take their side.

Tell you what. The next time you go to the supermarket, if I'm working the cash register I'll look the other way and you can stuff one of those ginormous Snickers bars in your pocket.

Jerry Garcia

Postby Jerry Garcia » Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:23 pm

psu_dad wrote:Tell you what. The next time you go to the supermarket, if I'm working the cash register I'll look the other way and you can stuff one of those ginormous Snickers bars in your pocket.

Well, that's something at least. But I'm sensing a whole lot of kale here and not much ribeye...

:)