These are a few more of my favorite peeves

Shore Lion

Re: These are a few more of my favorite peeves

Postby Shore Lion » Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:04 pm

psu_dad wrote:KInda rural isn't it? I thought most of the cougars lived in Scottsdale.

Those in the know call it "Snotsdale". It's a pretty uppity attitude there. Which is fine if you're into that sort of thing . . .

sameoldlama

Postby sameoldlama » Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:11 pm

Kingman is about 10 degrees cooler on average than Phoenix, it's remote but about 30-40 mins from Laughlin, maybe just over an hour to Vegas and I actually like the remote (I need to get away from the insanity for a bit). And I think the cougars went to Paradise Valley and Cave Creek.
Wendall : That's very linear Sheriff
Ed Tom : Age will flatten a man Wendall

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:13 pm

KInda rural isn't it? I thought most of the cougars lived in Scottsdale.

Not all. One lives a few doors down from my parents in their 55+ community. She moved in last year.
Alex Cora sucks. Mickey Callaway sucks. Baseball sucks. Everything and everyone just sucks. Is it football season yet?

sameoldlama

Postby sameoldlama » Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:33 pm

Blue&White wrote: KInda rural isn't it? I thought most of the cougars lived in Scottsdale.

Not all. One lives a few doors down from my parents in their 55+ community. She moved in last year.

How does she look in yoga pants?

Parts of Northern Scottsdale are kind of toney but southern Scottsdale isn't anything special - trust me - I lived there for several years.

tempe

Postby tempe » Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:46 pm

well - depending on finance, climate and your interest, I think there are a lot better places than Kingman. Consider Prescott, Payson, and Showlow, for a mild winter and a treeline - some woods and still a town. If you look at a AZ map Coconino and Tonto National forest areas are pleasant. Flagstaff is nice, but there is a winter there for sure. If your cold, you head south (as opposed to if you get hot you head north from the Phoenix valley. Payson is nice with a mild winter and pleasant summers - gets in the 90s when it is 105+ in the valley. Outside the forest areas (which are quite different than the forest of pa) there is high desert - cactus type stuff. Plenty of pictures now with the internet. I live in Tempe in an old area not far from the Salt river. The Salt no longer flows - outside of some flooding now and then - but my property has water rights and we receive flood irrigation. This allows us to have lots of trees such as Ash and Pine. We garden and have great fruit trees. Our peaches were great - as good as you can ask for. And we have orange trees. Grapefruit are killer. Nothing like off the tree fruit. So downtown Tempe is a bit of an oasis.

The heat is unbearable and never gets easier to take. And for for my wife and me, there is not a lot of places to go. We love out house and yard - but five acres would be nice. As far as living in any of the phoenix metropolitan area, I like Tempe - location, location, location. And the local government suits my ethics. There are some really nice neighborhoods in Phoenix also. Horse properties in Casa Grande - probably cheap land and easy to drive to Phoenix. Look up and watch a Haboob - unreal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0qY84aJnBQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7hJf9ye_Rk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3jOXJHxYDo

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:31 pm

How does she look in yoga pants?

I pray I never find that out.
Alex Cora sucks. Mickey Callaway sucks. Baseball sucks. Everything and everyone just sucks. Is it football season yet?

Carl Spackler

Postby Carl Spackler » Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:14 am

tempe, in about six years we have 7.5 acres of rural land, beautiful that you could end up with to beat the heat. You do have to plow snow occasionally although not as much for the past five years. Plus, I have a tractor ready to go for you! IF you can stand a bunch of buckeyes hanging around you all the time (they are not too bad as I constantly wear PSU garb and never get a rise from them) and a change of seasons it's a very nice place. I can't match that 110 degrees for you but there are always trade-offs.

tempe wrote:well - depending on finance, climate and your interest, I think there are a lot better places than Kingman. Consider Prescott, Payson, and Showlow, for a mild winter and a treeline - some woods and still a town. If you look at a AZ map Coconino and Tonto National forest areas are pleasant. Flagstaff is nice, but there is a winter there for sure. If your cold, you head south (as opposed to if you get hot you head north from the Phoenix valley. Payson is nice with a mild winter and pleasant summers - gets in the 90s when it is 105+ in the valley. Outside the forest areas (which are quite different than the forest of pa) there is high desert - cactus type stuff. Plenty of pictures now with the internet. I live in Tempe in an old area not far from the Salt river. The Salt no longer flows - outside of some flooding now and then - but my property has water rights and we receive flood irrigation. This allows us to have lots of trees such as Ash and Pine. We garden and have great fruit trees. Our peaches were great - as good as you can ask for. And we have orange trees. Grapefruit are killer. Nothing like off the tree fruit. So downtown Tempe is a bit of an oasis.

The heat is unbearable and never gets easier to take. And for for my wife and me, there is not a lot of places to go. We love out house and yard - but five acres would be nice. As far as living in any of the phoenix metropolitan area, I like Tempe - location, location, location. And the local government suits my ethics. There are some really nice neighborhoods in Phoenix also. Horse properties in Casa Grande - probably cheap land and easy to drive to Phoenix. Look up and watch a Haboob - unreal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0qY84aJnBQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7hJf9ye_Rk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3jOXJHxYDo
So I got that going for me...which is nice. It's a cross between Kentucky Bluegrass, Featherbed Bent and Northern California Sensimilla so you can play 36 holes on it,take it home at night and get stoned to the begesses belt

tempe

Postby tempe » Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:39 am

we are actually going to have a June day predicted for 89 as a high this Friday and mid 70s as a low - very very nice for June this close to the solstice. I can not remember the last time I saw rain. I have often thought about moving back to the Northeast. 7.5 is a nice chunk of land. I really miss land. When I moved to AZ in the middle of August - my sister and I drove down off the rim from Flagstaff. She had a little thermometer in the car and we watched it peek past 100. But-, once we got to Phoenix suburbs it was not the heat that amazed me - it was that every house as far as I could see had a block wall around it. Every yard walled off. Coming from Warren Pa - I never saw anything like that. As kids, we ran from property to property along the edge of the woods. The only thing people fenced was their gardens.

sameoldlama

Postby sameoldlama » Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:50 am

The thing I really like about Arizona was that the weather was so predictable and boring - joke was "Today's forecast - same as yesterday and same for tomorrow". You really didn't have to plan your activity around the weather. I played softball 2 nights a week year round and had one night rained out in 3 years. I'd put the top down on the Jeep in April and put in back on in November.

The Phoenix metro area has really grown since I moved back East (mid 90s) - temp - I lived about 5-10 from Papago Park (Scottsdale - Thomas St.) and went to Tempe often (the town, not the guy) - when I was there last year the amount of development was striking - the office complexes by stadium were not there when I was there and the downtown went way beyond Mill. That Culinary Dropout place is just a cool place to get a bite on an afternoon weekend and hang out. My guess is with the growth of the area and the work you put into your property someone will be inheriting one hell of a valuable home.

The congestion of the metro area is probably too much for me - I've looked at Wickenburg, Apache Junction (stills gives you proximity to Phoenix) and Prescott (though I like desert more than forest). Page is a bit too remote for me although from a straight natural beauty very way you go it's hard to beat. Areas I am least familiar with are Eastern / Southeastern - Wilcox, Bisbee, Eager. If I could find an "isolated" town like Tempe was 25 year ago - mid-size -with the climate of Kingman (warm and dry but not the oven heat) with reasonable proximity (2 hours) to a major metro area that would be ideal. Sedona / Jerome / Cottonwood all look nice but they actually have winters.

Carl Spackler

Postby Carl Spackler » Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:43 pm

I have a romanticized imagination of Prescott Az as a great place to live. Also, Cloudcroft, NM. I think I could live in either place and enjoy it a lot. The only down side is moving further away from family, grandchildren. My days are numbered and I'm on the back side of the hill as they say so I must be practical and that means moving back to PA. But one can dream.

Tempe: Warren to Tempe is quite a shock in so many ways. In june we have recorded 4.45" or fain. This is above average and its very green around here. I'm not mowing more than usual though and I acquired a toothed bar for the leading edge of the front end loader bucket so I can now dig, dig, dig. Any young man's delight. I have a few projects to work on that require digging so it was necessary. Now we need to acquire a ballast box for the 3 pt. hitch to counter the front end loader weight so I don't do another fall over, off the tractor. While the distance would be less the weight of a tractor on top of me would be a increase over the bundle of shingles, so much so that I'm afraid I will require more medical assistance. I'll buy a ballast box and avoid the falling issues, haven't fallen for several weeks, I'm on a roll, really a roll. When you guys get older you will understand all about this and more, really fun stuff about getting older.
So I got that going for me...which is nice. It's a cross between Kentucky Bluegrass, Featherbed Bent and Northern California Sensimilla so you can play 36 holes on it,take it home at night and get stoned to the begesses belt