These are a few more of my favorite peeves

Shore Lion

Re: These are a few more of my favorite peeves

Postby Shore Lion » Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:23 am

Since this thread is completely hijacked now I'll weigh in. I think I've mentioned my part-time gig as a stagehand in DC. So I've been fortunate to see just about every group mentioned thus far. In addition to excellent money (the hours can suck sometimes) seeing so many bands for "free" is a real treat plus knowing what goes into the show and getting to know the road crew and see what happens backstage. If people truly understood what all has to go into a show they wouldn't gripe as much about ticket prices for the big acts and shows. U2 is doing shows Sunday and Monday here. The load in starts tomorrow morning. That's pretty unusual because it means they have to rent the arena for a whole other day. But they can afford it. Plus it gives their crew a break. Being on the road ages these guys. I compare it to dog years because one year on the road has to equal several on your body.

LioninVa

Postby LioninVa » Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:37 am

I have often wondered about the aspect of set up for a big show, Shore. I assumed that the band coming in had a required stage and PA set-up that the promoter had to fulfill as opposed to trucked in stuff by the tour. Then the tour would build off of that foundation with the lights and instruments and all that. I know the Trans Siberian Orchestra stopped coming to my area before Christmas because the arena's here are too small to make it cost effective compared to other nearby cities when they are cramming a show in each and every day. That tour has to suck for the crew!

Shore Lion

Postby Shore Lion » Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:11 am

Actually most shows have their own staging. Almost exclusively all the big tours are designed by Tait Towers, located right in Lititz, PA. It's very interesting that a huge hub of the entertainment industry is centered there. Rock Lititz has Tait Towers and Clair Brothers Sound are the big ones but there are smaller firms too all with a piece of it. Clair is known as the best in the industry. Their people go out on the tours with the shows usually. There are lots of good articles about Rock Lititz and what it means to the music industry. Here's a 3 minute video the Washington Post did a few years ago on the load in and load out for a J-Lo concert. I'm in there somewhere. But not up on the beams. Riggers are crazy! FYI stagehands don't do the seats or clean up trash, that's the arena employees.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBvJegQXJQo&t=92s

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:01 pm

I don't thinkt he face value of tickets is too much. I think the problem is the availability. It is almost impossible to just buy a concert ticket at face value anymore unless you have some arrangement.

Most big bands now have a "fan club" that you have to pay money for. One of the perks is you get access to tickets. I am a member of the Pearl Jam Ten Club and I pay $40 a year for that. And, that gives me the ability to enter the lottery for tickets. Sometimes I'm successful and othertimes I'm not. I was able to score tickets to both Seattle shows this time around, and I thikn the ~$250/pair price is reasonable given the venue and the amount of money involved (plus they are giving the proceeds to charity).

If you don't pay to be a member of a fan club, then maybe you have a season ticket for a team that plays in that arena. Those people often get access to a show before tickets are generally available. Or maybe you have a credit card that gives you access to a pre sale. I've had that with my Citi card. As a SeriusXM subscriber I sometimes get invited to buy tickets in advance. My wife and I are seeing the Goo Goo Dolls in October and that's how I got the tickets.

But, if you are just waiting on the sale to the general public you are completely screwed. After the bands sales and the presales, the Bots buy up whatever is left. And then you are forced to go to StubHub or some other secondary market provider. That's what pisses me off. It's not that the face value of tickets is too high. It's that it is very tough to get tickets at that price. I am taking my wife and youngest son to see the Foo Fighters in Camden next month. We have seats on the lawn and I paid close to $500 for those 3 tickets. To sit on the freaking grass. It's insanity. The face value is like $75 ea. But, between the mark up, the "service" fees, and the fact that you can't get tickets from the primary source unless you meet the criteria above, that's what you have to do.
Alex Cora sucks. Mickey Callaway sucks. Baseball sucks. Everything and everyone just sucks. Is it football season yet?

PSUgrower

Postby PSUgrower » Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:57 pm

I live close to Rock Lititz and it is a pretty cool place. They are starting to bring in huge singers to just practice their tour. They will come to Rock Lititz for a few days just to figure out all of their staging, dancing, and all the good jazz!

My real reason for typing on this thread was because I am angry the US is not in the WC! I already told my family we are going to the first US game on 2026. I don't care where it is and how much it costs! I am 60 minutes into the Spain Portugal game (I love DVR) and it is amazing so far!! We head to the beach tomorrow for the week!

Carl Spackler

Postby Carl Spackler » Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:33 pm

Grower, you need to get back in the garden. The WC goes on for a long time so you will can and freeze and process many veggies before it ends. I heard the WC is returning to the USA in the mid-2020's. That should brighten your day.
So I got that going for me...which is nice. It's a cross between Kentucky Bluegrass, Featherbed Bent and Northern California Sensimilla so you can play 36 holes on it,take it home at night and get stoned to the begesses belt

hbendle

Postby hbendle » Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:52 pm

Pet peeve: social media chain letter peer pressure. Anything that goes along the lines of "blah blah awareness blah blah most people won't repost this only true friends will respond and share" My immediate response is along the lines of "eff you and the horse you rode in on".

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:10 pm

I never understood the purpose of those chains and asking you to repost something. Ok, I shared it - now what? Did a disease get cured? Was money raised? Did angles sing? What happened? It's the epitome of feel good/do nothing actions.

It's like these awareness campaigns. I promise, I'm aware of breast cancer. Can we stop the awareness campaign and funnel all the money into research for cures? That must be a huge industry where people are making a ton of money because there are a ton of "awareness" organizations. I am highly suspicious of all of them.
Alex Cora sucks. Mickey Callaway sucks. Baseball sucks. Everything and everyone just sucks. Is it football season yet?

sameoldlama

Postby sameoldlama » Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:05 pm

It's called virtue signaling - when you "raise awareness" - and B&W is correct in that it is generally something everyone with a pulse and brain functioning at 4% is aware of the you don't actually do something or contribute - your job was to raise awareness. Somebody else needs to do something and someone else pays for it. Virtue Signaling is the most rampant disease on social media - especially celebs.

Sad because a lot of very good people donate their time, effort and money to good causes and never seek - and unfortunately don't always get adequately recognized for their tangible contributions.
Wendall : That's very linear Sheriff
Ed Tom : Age will flatten a man Wendall

Crowbar

Postby Crowbar » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:25 pm

hbendle wrote:Pet peeve: social media chain letter peer pressure. Anything that goes along the lines of "blah blah awareness blah blah most people won't repost this only true friends will respond and share" My immediate response is along the lines of "eff you and the horse you rode in on".

You are correct. Hence why I limit my FB time to 20 minutes a month. Sometimes I think that's too much.
41-33.