These are a few more of my favorite peeves

Blue&White

Re: These are a few more of my favorite peeves

Postby Blue&White » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:40 pm

sameoldlama wrote:Sad because a lot of very good people donate their time, effort and money to good causes and never seek - and unfortunately don't always get adequately recognized for their tangible contributions.

This is me in a nutshell. I give and I give and no one ever seems to care.

Seriously, I don't know why I bother.
Is it baseball season yet?

Carl Spackler

Postby Carl Spackler » Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:54 am

Blue&White wrote:I never understood the purpose of those chains and asking you to repost something. Ok, I shared it - now what? Did a disease get cured? Was money raised? Did angles sing? What happened? It's the epitome of feel good/do nothing actions.

It's like these awareness campaigns. I promise, I'm aware of breast cancer. Can we stop the awareness campaign and funnel all the money into research for cures? That must be a huge industry where people are making a ton of money because there are a ton of "awareness" organizations. I am highly suspicious of all of them.

Right on brother!

When I read a decent request to repost a note with a shaming portion or threat to repost, I delete all reference to repost and then share it if it is worthy.

At the DMV I signed up for another 4 years of my license. When you pay you were asked if you want to donate a dollar to organ donation AWARENESS. I said no, the lady paused and gave me a look, I stood firm and signed the charge slip. How the H will donation to awareness of anything do any good? Who isn't already aware of Organ donation?

I threatened to coin my own awareness ribbon for sale. It will be black and will be for awareness of EVERYTHING thus removing all need for other ribbons. It will cost you three dollars to cover everything, cash is accepted.
So I got that going for me...which is nice. It's a cross between Kentucky Bluegrass, Featherbed Bent and Northern California Sensimilla so you can play 36 holes on it,take it home at night and get stoned to the begesses belt

hbendle

Postby hbendle » Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:34 am

I should program an ad-block plugin to filter out awareness shaming, whingy "repost if you're still my friend" calls for attention, and those infuriating hyperbole memes from either wing. I'd make a killing, join the top 1%, and rest on my laurels while thumbing my nose to the rest of you.

I need some cheap programming labor, though. Back to the politics thread for that...

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:48 am

If you're looking for investors, let me know, because that sounds like a winning investment to me.

And, when the countries south of our boarder send us people, they are not sending their best .... programmers. You'll need to outsource that to India or Eastern Europe.
Is it baseball season yet?

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:32 am

I'd make a killing, join the top 1%, and rest on my laurels while thumbing my nose to the rest of you.

How do you know we're not in the top 1% already? For all you know, I just came from the stable after my morning ride. And I've heard that Mark pays B&W mid-6-figures to monitor this board.

Me: Do we have any Grey Poupon?
Mrs psu_dad: We have Guldens. And put the damn cap back on when you're done with it.
Klaatu barada nikto

tempe

Postby tempe » Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:14 pm

I want to get the MGB painted. Do you think it's bad to start a "Go Fund Me" page?

Crowbar

Postby Crowbar » Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:23 am

hbendle wrote:I should program an ad-block plugin to filter out awareness shaming, whingy "repost if you're still my friend" calls for attention, and those infuriating hyperbole memes from either wing. I'd make a killing, join the top 1%, and rest on my laurels while thumbing my nose to the rest of you.

I am completely on board with this.
National Champions 1911, 1912, 1969, 1981, 1982, 1986, 1994

sameoldlama

Postby sameoldlama » Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:28 pm

sameoldlama wrote:
hbendle wrote:I've often said my dream second job would be to get deputized to issue violations to Emmert-heads that park the fire lane at the donut shop, handicap spaces, dual spaces, double park, etc. Throw in the non-hands-free cellphone idiots and I could really make the town a few bucks.

Wouldn't that be an awesome "transition to retirement" job.

On the handicapped thing I get it a person may not look handicapped but have a condition that is not readily evident - if you see those people on machines or in pool doing aqua aerobics that's plausible - but I Emmert you not - I've seen people take a handicapped spot and then see them running on a treadmill, playing basketball or squatting 225lbs 10 times.

There was a day an age when public shaming may have been a good idea but now when people can take any form of criticism as a personal challenge it just isn't worth worrying whether you are going to end up in a fight, have your car vandalized or even worse have someone pull a weapon.

Now your best option is to vent on nf.com.

If anyone has seen the story out of Clearwater it appears venting your pet peeves on nf.com is sage advice.

Apparently a self appointed Circle K parking lot enforcer (witnesses say guy had a history of doing this) confronted a woman about illegally parking in a handicapped spot because he can't just call cops or let it go - instead of just moving her car the woman escalates argument - her boyfriend comes out of store and instead of just talking and getting in car and driving away goes straight up to guy and shoves him to the ground - and instead of the guy getting up and walking away and calling police he shoots the guy.

Everyone had a chance to be "the bigger person" and walk away or say "my bad' - but nope - everyone had to escalate things beyond reason - and now a man is dead - a woman is without her partner - kids don't have a father and a guy should be facing a murder charge.

We all want to right a wrong when we witness them - be it a petty crime or discourteous act - but in these times you need to say - is this worth getting into a fight or shot over?
Wendall : That's very linear Sheriff
Ed Tom : Age will flatten a man Wendall

Nat@PSU

Postby Nat@PSU » Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:42 pm

The guy who shot him apparently has a laundry list of issues but due to "Stand your ground" laws he will face no charges for murdering another human being in cold blood.
- Nat

Let's Go State!!

sameoldlama

Postby sameoldlama » Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:30 pm

Nat@PSU wrote:The guy who shot him apparently has a laundry list of issues but due to "Stand your ground" laws he will face no charges for murdering another human being in cold blood.

Based on accounts I've read, per my post - this guy initiated confrontations over people illegally parking in handicapped paces on a routine basis - for reasons known only to him he decided this was his injustice to save the world from. If I were to speculate - in prior instances when he confronted people he probably got a similar reaction so instead of saying "maybe I should just report these things and leave it to the cops" he decided "I'm going to get a gun and if someone comes at me I'll shoot them".

The Sheriff isn't pressing charges - I will be surprised if the DA doesn't go forward with charges. Just looking at the video it's hard for me to see how the guy could make a reasonable argument he was in fear for his life. And quite frankly I would say - that's why we have a justice system - let a judge or a jury decide whether his actions were within the confines of the law.

But this is where we are at - most of us wouldn't park in a handicapped spot - and if we were in a hurry or lazy and did and got called out we would sheepishly admit wrong and move are car (video indicated there were open spots when woman pulled into lot).

Most of us would just shake our heads and maybe give the person a dirty look - we wouldn't wag out finger at them.

Most of us when legitimately called out for being a jerk and parking in a handicapped spot wouldn't walk up to the person who called it out and lay a blindside hit on them.

And none us would pull out a gun and shoot a guy who shoved us to the ground who was five or six feet away from us and didn't present an immediate, serious threat.

Nobody can act reasonably anymore.
Wendall : That's very linear Sheriff
Ed Tom : Age will flatten a man Wendall