These are a few more of my favorite peeves

Blue&White

Re: These are a few more of my favorite peeves

Postby Blue&White » Sun Jul 29, 2018 5:51 pm

Anyway, now for something completely different:

How an Ex-Cop Rigged McDonald’s Monopoly Game and Stole Millions

This is a long, but interesting, story. I have no recollection of any of this happening or making the news. The article itself gives an explanation at the end for why most people don't recall this event, but I read this whole thing and it doesn't sound vaguely familiar. I'm certain I did not follow this at all when it hit the news ~17 years ago. But, if you've got about 20 minutes to fill, I recommend you read this article. It was, to me, really interesting. How it was done, how they got caught, just all of it.
Is it baseball season yet?

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:09 pm

I'm confused. What is your pet peeve? McDonald's? Monopoly? Middle-aged bachelors?
Klaatu barada nikto

sameoldlama

Postby sameoldlama » Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:16 pm

In the world of crazy there was a viral video of a McD's where a manager / customer got into a brawl. The customer asked for a water cup and tried to fill it with soda. The manager called the person out and turned off soda machine - so the natural reaction of this person wasn't "I'm sorry" it was a rant, throwing food and hitting the employee with a tray - which was a bad move because the McD's employee had about an 8 inch height and 100+ lb weight advantage and there was some whup ass on the extra value menu. And BTW - these were two women.

I think many people who follow the laws / rules / societal norms have become frustrated because the entities who should be enforcing norms - police, schools, businesses, political institutions just are failing to do it - and the masses are just being left to deal with it themselves. And rule followers are getting tired of being pushed around / taken advantage of by the Type A asshats. In the gym example you shouldn't have to confront sweaty Betty and I shouldn't have to confront steroid Steve when he crashes weights on the floor - the gym management should do it (and yes I have gone to the front desk along with others I know to complain - does no good). We lost the ability to enforce and condition people to show common courtesy in public and we have all decried the coarsening of our society - and you can say that's one of the negative aspects of Trump - his behavior is part and parcel of that me first / confrontational personality.

I don't stake my life on it but one of my pet peeves is waiting in lines - so I really can't tolerate line cutters - be it in my younger days going to bars, at a retail store, amusement park, in airports when weather related canceled flight chaos occurs or when you approach road construction and it goes to one lane - you always have that line cutter. No my business card doesn't have the title Line Monitor on it - but if somebody cuts a line I'm in I say something. And it's been guys, girls, big, small, black, white, gay, straight, rich, poor - line cutters come in every demographic. I'm not confrontational - I just point out them that there is a line. Generally in retail or airport lines the person will back down and get in line or they will say "this will only take a minute or I'm really in a rush" so I point out that all the people in line only need a minute and they are in a hurry too. The only place I got more confrontational responses was bar lines - probably due to group mentality, youth aspect and male posturing. Some will say what's the big deal it's only 2 or 3 people - so I'd say - well then I guess you don't mind if me and my friends get in front of you - and I would get in front of them - and then I'd invite everyone they cut in front of them to join me. Some women would get bitchy - some guys would flex a little but I was about 220lbs and built in my bar hopping days so it never ended up being anything.
I still call it out at retail stores and in airport but no more at bars (mostly because I don't go to the hip crowded bars anymore)

I can tell you this - everyone who got cut in front of loved me - especially women who were usually too intimidated to confront the a-hole line cutter.

This guy in Florida took too far - and again I don't know why this was a life mission for him - maybe he had a handicapped person in his family - who knows. He certainly could have taken a better approach. And I do think a judge or jury should decide if his actions were criminal (and BTW I don't see how the sheriff could be a witness as he was present when the act occurred - he's basically a guy offering an opinion). But as a society we shouldn't be afraid or intimidated into thinking we shouldn't be able to call out bad behavior. While I am comfortable with much of the policy direction of this administration people are absolutely right in calling out DT on his personal behavior and his basic style / approach to dealing with people - especially his critics (not that many of them couldn't use a civility lesson). On a personality level he's a Class AAAA jerk. We just had a 4.1% GDP growth and people are still bickering and his obnoxious style contributes to that.
Wendall : That's very linear Sheriff
Ed Tom : Age will flatten a man Wendall

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:47 pm

psu_dad wrote:I'm confused. What is your pet peeve? McDonald's? Monopoly? Middle-aged bachelors?

Whoops. Meant to put that in Random Thoughts. Still interesting, though. At least I thought so.

sameoldlama

Postby sameoldlama » Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:22 pm

Ominous start to a business trip

- you check in and discover you don't get a notification your NEXUS / TSA Pre Check is expiring - you find out at check in it is expired
- security line is over an hour long an in an unconditioned area
- you look at the impending storms and just wait to get effed on getting out

If I do get out - although I don't wear a suit - I will suffer the B&W work experience - going to our plant Mexico - where it is currently 100 degrees - with humidity - and the plant does plastics processing at 400 - 550 degrees.

This will not be a pleasant week.
Wendall : That's very linear Sheriff
Ed Tom : Age will flatten a man Wendall

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:48 pm

I really miss traveling on business.

Mrs psu_dad: Seriously?
Me: No.
Klaatu barada nikto

Carl Spackler

Postby Carl Spackler » Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:12 pm

Blue&White wrote:PS - There have been something like 100 SYG cases in Florida since the law was passed. The vast majority don't become national stories because the vast majority involve black-on-black or white-on-white shootings. No one marches in the street for those.

Just out of curiosity, how many of those incidents involved a shooter who had a known history of having confronted people, presumably while armed, over petty things and who is seen on video starting the incident, and then shooting an unarmed man who is backing away from him and clearly not brandishing a weapon and then has the local sheriff misstate the relevant law while giving an excuse for not even arresting the guy? Because - and I'm just spit-balling here - I think that maybe, perhaps, that kind of makes this case pretty egregious on its own regardless of the race of the two individuals and is sufficient for reasonable people to stop and say "no, that can't be right".

Carl - yep, it's all the medias fault and if only there was a way, just some way, to have an idea of what the truth is. I mean, other than the video that shows the entire incident.

Didn't view the video. Read varying comments on the incident and commented on media reporting what they want, letting out facts pertinent but that would change public opinion, etc. The Sandusky case is classic because the media chose a victim, Joe, and crucified him yet he didn't comment the crime. If we don't recognize media reporting to their own belief system by now I don't think we ever will. It's not new but its become virulent and malignant at this point.

As an aside, Carl is officially pack'n as of 2:00 p.m. today. Better be careful out there, another one walks among you, concealed and accurate.
So I got that going for me...which is nice. It's a cross between Kentucky Bluegrass, Featherbed Bent and Northern California Sensimilla so you can play 36 holes on it,take it home at night and get stoned to the begesses belt

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:17 pm

If I do get out - although I don't wear a suit - I will suffer the B&W work experience - going to our plant Mexico - where it is currently 100 degrees - with humidity - and the plant does plastics processing at 400 - 550 degrees.

I'm flying tomorow and hope I have better luck than you. It looks like it's going to rain all day tomorrow on both ends so hopefully that doesn't screw my flight plans.

Oh, and don't drink the water!

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:45 pm

While I'm working in my home office tomorrow, I'm going to wear my "Dude" bathrobe in honor of you and lama.

Klaatu barada nikto

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:50 pm

Lama and i will be sending a Chinaman to pee on your rug sometime this week.