These are a few more of my favorite peeves

psu_dad

Re: These are a few more of my favorite peeves

Postby psu_dad » Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:06 am

But they were sitting in spacious seats and eating Chicken Cordon Bleu They weren't sitting next to a fat guy wearing sweat pants and flip-flops. It's a totally different experience now. It has all the glamour of a Greyhound bus.

But it's much more accessible now. People who complain about airline prices have no clue how expensive it used to be. It was once almost exclusively the domain of wealthy people and business travelers. Adjusted for inflation, flying costs about half what it cost in the 1970s when I first started flying.
Klaatu barada nikto

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:12 am

That may all be true, but 18 hours on a plane is 18 hours on a plane. And, that assumes you don't land and have to refuel on your way to Cairo. It was probably closer to 24 hours for New York to Cairo.
Is it baseball season yet?

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:46 am

These things are relative, I suppose. People back then flying to Europe in 10 hours thought it was a space-age adventure. Their only alternative was to spend a week on an ocean liner.

From a business traveler's perspective, I think flying peaked in the 1970s. You had fast jet airplanes, zero hassles boarding and half-empty planes were common. The latter was part of the reason it was so expensive. There was no competition for price. Airline ads back then never mentioned price. Only service. Prices were heavily regulated to ensure the airlines could make a buck, so there was no pressure to place a butt in every single seat. But it was much more expensive. I was flying on someone else's nickel, so the cost didn't matter to me.

When the industry was de-regulated in the 1980s, it changed dramatically. It became all about price and service was secondary. That's why former titans like TWA and Pan-Am died. Their entire business model was based on service, not economy, and they couldn't adapt quickly enough to survive.
Klaatu barada nikto

hbendle

Postby hbendle » Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:38 am

Got in a drag race on a neighborhood road today with some old wench in a family van. Which begs the question:
Let it go, or hell no?

Turned on to a straight road and someone else pulls in after me, from a side road. Already hot on my tail, and I may be doing about 15 over the posted 30 mph limit.
I even do a less than complete stop at the first and only stop sign, continuing straight on the 1 mile to the state highway and my intended gas station stop.
Now this lady gets all over the back end of my crossover SUV with her conversion van, and since I refuse to accelerate way beyond the limit, she starts to peek out to take me on the left down a residential road.
Now I've had it. As the road is otherwise empty at this time after school buses and morning rush, I punch it and manage to stay abreast as she floors it for as long as she can before angrily giving up. Naturally, I get the finger as I (signal and) pull into the gas station.

I could have let her sail on. Crap like this happens all the time on Long Island, although usually on larger roads. But I chose to not allow her the quarter minute she was going to gain. This one just stuck in my craw.
Last edited by hbendle on Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hbendle

Postby hbendle » Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:38 am

Got in a drag race on a neighborhood road today with some old wench in a family van. Which begs the question:
Let it go, or hell no?

Turned on to a straight road and someone else pulls in after me, from a side road. Already hot on my tail, and I may be doing about 15 over the posted 30 mph limit.
I even do a less than complete stop at the first and only stop sign, continuing straight on the 1 mile to the state highway and my intended gas station stop.
Now this lady gets all over the back end of my crossover SUV with her conversion van, and since I refuse to accelerate way beyond the limit, she starts to peek out to take me on the left down a residential road.
Now I've had it. As the road is otherwise empty at this time after school buses and morning rush, I punch it and manage to stay abreast as she floors it for as long as she can before angrily giving up. Naturally, I get the finger as I (signal and) pull into the gas station.

I could have let her sail on. Crap like this happens all the time on Long Island, although usually on larger roads. But I chose to not allow her the quarter minute she was going to gain. This one just stuck in my craw.
Last edited by hbendle on Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shore Lion

Postby Shore Lion » Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:48 pm

As I've mentioned previously, I have a hard time keeping my mouth shut when people act like a-holes. My main pet peeve is people parking/stopping in fire lanes in front of stores. I don't fly often but as we've discussed it is generally a pain. While the airlines deserve their share of the grief people in general do too. Case in point, last week while boarding several flights I kept seeing jerks putting their carry on in the overhead bins in the front of the plane even though they were way in the back. Then when the folks up front boarded there was no place to put their bags because you can't expect people to try to force their way to the back in hopes there is space and then get back up front while everyone is still up.

Anyway, on the last of my flights I saw yet another guy do this. I was sitting right up front so I glared at him and he asked me what my problem was. So I told him he was being a jerk. He said whatever and moved to the back of the plane. Well a nice old lady gets on the plane and there is no place for her bag to go. So I did what any responsible and respectful male would do. I got the guys bag, handed it to the flight attendant and said she could check my bag so this lady can keep her bag with her. She thanked me for being so nice. Hahaha. Man, I wish I could have seen that guys face when he tried to find his bag.

And this is why I'm going to hell.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:10 pm

The sewer lines on my road are leaking and need to be replaced. Their has been a crew in front of my house for over a week and the road is closed to all but local traffic. Those of us who live here have access to half the street. It's a pain but the work has to be done.

So, I'm working from home today and ran out to grab lunch. I come back and some asshole parked his car right in the middle of what's left of the passable street. I found the guy coming out of one of my neighbors houses and said something to him. He said there wasn't another parking spot. I pointed out there were several and it was a pretty dick move to block the whole road. I got a smug smile in return.

I just walked away, because if I hadn't it would have quickly escalated - and I would be the escalator. The guy was probably 20 years younger than me, and it wasn't worth it so I let it go. But, man, I was pissed.

PSUgrower

Postby PSUgrower » Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:37 pm

Blue&White wrote:The sewer lines on my road are leaking and need to be replaced. Their has been a crew in front of my house for over a week and the road is closed to all but local traffic.

Mr. Perfect and his THEIR

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:44 pm

I can see I'm going to regret making fun of your grammar. Oh well.

Speaking of perfect, the morons doing the work across the street took out the power about 30 minutes ago. I asked them what the plan was to get it back on. Shockingly (no pun intended), they do not have one.

PSUgrower

Postby PSUgrower » Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:20 pm

Blue&White wrote:I can see I'm going to regret making fun of your grammar. Oh well.

Speaking of perfect, the morons doing the work across the street took out the power about 30 minutes ago. I asked them what the plan was to get it back on. Shockingly (no pun intended), they do not have one.

I am only kidding as you know how easy it is to make a mistake when you are typing mindless words!

As for the knuckleheads! I am sure there are at least 5-7 people standing around doing nothing, 3 of them are actually doing work, and 2 of them are the ones figuring out what to do. BTW, I bet 4 people could do their jobs