These are a few more of my favorite peeves

Blue&White

Re: These are a few more of my favorite peeves

Postby Blue&White » Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:18 pm

On the handicap parking at the gym - my wife and I used to belong to this big Athletic complex that had a gym, racquetball courts, pools, etc. Our kids took a lot of classes there when they were younger. There used to be this one woman who was probably around my age, maybe a little older who used to park her Mercedes in the handicap spot all the time. She had the hanger tag for handicap but, c'mon she clearly wasn't handicapped. She looked like she spent 5 hours a day in the gym. She was absolutely a proud trophy wife, had her hair and make-up done before showing up so everyone could be impressed by how hot she was while in her late 30s or early 40s, and she wore clothes that left nothing to the imagination (is this a great country or what?). There is no way that woman needed to take a handicapped spot. None. Used to bug me to no end. I can not stand entitled people.

On the firelane thing - I've brought that one up before on the old board. There is a bagel place by me in a strip mall and there is always some jackass who just parks in the firelane and goes to get bagels. Every time I confront one of these morons I always get the same response: "hey, I'm just running in to buy a dozen bagels". Dude, we are ALL just running in to buy a dozen bagels. What makes you so freaking special?

And finally, for the people who need multiple parking spots because they are so, so special - I recommend you invest in one of these. Easy to install, but really hard to remove once you drive away with the key.
Is it baseball season yet?

hbendle

Postby hbendle » Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:36 pm

I've often said my dream second job would be to get deputized to issue violations to Emmert-heads that park the fire lane at the donut shop, handicap spaces, dual spaces, double park, etc. Throw in the non-hands-free cellphone idiots and I could really make the town a few bucks.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:39 pm

Throw in the non-hands-free cellphone idiots and I could really make the town a few bucks.

Different discussion, but I don't think using a Bluetooth headset makes you a better drive or creates a safer environment.

sameoldlama

Postby sameoldlama » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:00 pm

hbendle wrote:I've often said my dream second job would be to get deputized to issue violations to Emmert-heads that park the fire lane at the donut shop, handicap spaces, dual spaces, double park, etc. Throw in the non-hands-free cellphone idiots and I could really make the town a few bucks.

Wouldn't that be an awesome "transition to retirement" job.

On the handicapped thing I get it a person may not look handicapped but have a condition that is not readily evident - if you see those people on machines or in pool doing aqua aerobics that's plausible - but I Emmert you not - I've seen people take a handicapped spot and then see them running on a treadmill, playing basketball or squatting 225lbs 10 times.

There was a day an age when public shaming may have been a good idea but now when people can take any form of criticism as a personal challenge it just isn't worth worrying whether you are going to end up in a fight, have your car vandalized or even worse have someone pull a weapon.

Now your best option is to vent on nf.com.
Wendall : That's very linear Sheriff
Ed Tom : Age will flatten a man Wendall

hbendle

Postby hbendle » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:06 pm

Well, it at least allows you to have two hands on the wheel, so I would disagree for that technical reason.

pennstate92

Postby pennstate92 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:26 pm

hbendle wrote:Well, it at least allows you to have two hands on the wheel, so I would disagree for that technical reason.

I have to sadly admit, guilty as charged.

That said, I tend to use speakerphone, but wind up holding the stupid thing up to my face, shouting my responses into the speaker. Of course, then I wind up getting 'Why are you shouting at me' from the nimrod on the other end.

Dixie cups were so much easier.
If at first you don't succeed, give up. There is no hope for you.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:54 pm

You can buy a Bluetooth speaker that fits on your sun visor. They are not too expensive, they don't put the piece right next to your head, and they work fairly well. I used one from Jabra before I bought a car that has blue tooth. I recommend one of those. It will set you back maybe $30 and, as an added bonus, you'll no longer annoy hbendle.

Carl Spackler

Postby Carl Spackler » Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:00 pm

Wife regales me about the Walmart in front of store waiters who drop off the mrs. and then sit right there as you have to walk around them, oblivious to others who park legally.

I've never witnessed a towing of an illegal hdqp person, ever.

As to the toned babe B&W asserts wasn't hdqp, even her looks may not obviate hdqp depending on her hdqp and a pliable doc. who will write up the hdqp for her to turn into the DMV. My doc has pre printed excuses for various hdqp's that float through his office although knowing him they are not given out like candy. Some docs can be twisted around your finger if you realize how to manipulate them. They are people just like us, really.

Got my EOB from Jan 3rd. My how quickly they act when money is coming their way and how slowly they act when I get a refund. Oh well, out she goes.................$$$$$............... Really, three days and I get hammered because the surgeon doesn't give a rats arse from a Labor Day call for emergency appt. that finally took place in mid Nov. so they could put off the surgery until the already met deductible could be paid again, not really mad at ins. but at the cavalier surgeon telling me I'm not an emergency or even a priority, if only he could suffer like I did for 4 months he might have an attitude adjustment, probably not, he's flush with cash...........good I had not received the CC license yet.........well, not really but one can dream.
So I got that going for me...which is nice. It's a cross between Kentucky Bluegrass, Featherbed Bent and Northern California Sensimilla so you can play 36 holes on it,take it home at night and get stoned to the begesses belt

PittGradPSUMad

Postby PittGradPSUMad » Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:03 pm

pennstate92 wrote:
hbendle wrote:Well, it at least allows you to have two hands on the wheel, so I would disagree for that technical reason.

Dixie cups were so much easier.

At age 10, this was the greatest discovery of my young life....the miracle of the dixie cup and string that allowed me and my bestest buddy to communicate with each other in the open field next to my house.....a field that doubled as a WWII battlefield where we played army. Then, perhaps two years later, I made the next greatest discovery of my young life................. :oops:
Yeah, well, that's like your opinion, man.

hbendle

Postby hbendle » Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:37 pm

On the down side, hands-free along with bluetooth and earbuds etc. have made it much more difficult to delineate normal people from batsh*t crazy.