These are a few more of my favorite peeves

psu_dad

Re: These are a few more of my favorite peeves

Postby psu_dad » Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:26 pm

Not on a business trip. And I still have my bathrobe on.

Fire Alex Cora

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:09 pm

I think I woke and became B&W.

Oh, wait...... :o
Is it football season yet?

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:57 am

Hey Lama - have you had to fly again lately?

I'm flying south week after next and I'm starting to get concern. I saw that the union that represents the pilots and flight attendants issues a statement earlier basically saying they were very concerned about airline safety if this doesn't get resolved soon. They are predicting the TSA people are going to walk off the job at some point soon. I'm suprised they haven't already.

So, I have that to look forward to. Hope your travel is going well.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:13 am

I'm surprised they haven't already.

Probably not a good career move. When the air traffic controllers walked off the job in the early 80s they were all fired and replaced. And they were a lot harder to replace than TSA agents.
Fire Alex Cora

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:23 am

Probably not a good career move. When the air traffic controllers walked off the job in the early 80s they were all fired and replaced. And they were a lot harder to replace than TSA agents.

That's the only reason they haven't, but that was a different situation. The air traffic controllers went on strike. They walked off the job in violation of federal law. Here, they have been told to keep showing up for work despite not being paid in the past month.

The TSA guys are pretty low skilled and easily replaceable but you are not going to find free replacements. If they walk off the job, that's it. No one is coming in to take their place. And, can you imagine the political backlash of firing a bunch of blue collar workers because refused to keep working for no pay? You want to talk about not a good career move, try being an elected official trying to defend that after the fact. That's a career move.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:30 am

They wouldn't be fired for "refusing to keep working for no pay". They would be fired for refusing to keep working for deferred pay. That's not the same thing.

The average TSA agent makes 40K a year with a good benefits package. Only a HS diploma is required. No, that's not Warren Buffett money. But the average person with only a HS diploma makes less than 30K a year with squat for benefits. There will be people lined up to replace the TSA agents if they walk.
Fire Alex Cora

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:34 am

I disagree with your conclusion but it's academic. If they walk off and get fired, I guess we will find out.

LioninVa

Postby LioninVa » Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:49 am

TSA training takes three weeks. This is on top of the hiring process, which is not exactly quick as it is a government process. Firing all the TSA agent would result in easy longer than a month, probable two, without security at airports. I don’t see how any politician can get behind that.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:02 am

There is No Way On God's Green Earth that TSA agents are going to be a critical factor in settling the budget fiasco. The air traffic controllers are INFINITELY more difficult to replace and they've been replaced before without a Zombie Apocalypse occurring.

PS - They're not getting paid either.
Fire Alex Cora

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:21 am

We survived for years without TSA. And, I think we would be just fine without them. But, that creates a bit of a problem for the government. We've been told for the past 18 or so years that we need this new branch of government and all these incursions into civil liberties just to get onto an airplane or we are all going to die! The dire predictions that were used to sell this current level of airport security were ridiculously over the top. But, they can't just now say "well, it's not really necessary and all will be well if we dont' do any of this". I think it will be, but admitting that really highlights that all this was a power grab AND an great job by lobbyists to sell stuff at tax payer expense.

Given that this administration sells fear like this country hasn't seen since the Cold War, I think it would be very, very dificult for them to say "hey, it will be fine if TSA walks off the job and these security measures are mostly BS anyway". So, I think TSA has a little bit more power here than you are giving them credit for. As for the "its only deferred pay" comment, when you're living on $40k a year, not getting a pay check means you are not paying your rent/mortgage, insurance, car payments, and probably dont' have a lot of money for food. It's great to say "hey, they will get paid eventually" but those people are really struggling right now. And, rich politicians and wives and relatives of rich politicians telling them how they are taking one for the team probably is really pissing them off.

As for the air traffic controllers, I think they are going to walk off the job at some point too. I used the TSA in my example, but the same logic applies. At some point, they are going to all say "screw this". And, this is not the 1981 strike. Firing them is going to be politically untenable.