These are a few more of my favorite peeves

psu_dad

Re: These are a few more of my favorite peeves

Postby psu_dad » Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:10 pm

I still get alarmed by people walking towards me screaming at no one. The downside of working from home, perhaps. Maybe I should get out more. Or maybe people speaking at high volume in public should be tasered. One or the other.
Fire Alex Cora. (On hold pending further review)

Carl Spackler

Postby Carl Spackler » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:25 am

It is annoying while in public places hearing conversations, supposedly private, that appear directed at you only to discover they are playing office on their little cell phones stuck in their ears. A nice slap would be satisfying but likely problematic. I'm with dad on this one, as if often the case.

dad, we chronologically gifted here must hang together or we shall most assuredly hang out somewhere else. Ben Franklin & C Spackler.

LioninVa

Postby LioninVa » Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:06 pm

That Emmert drives me crazy, too!

I have no problem with the Bluetooth auto connection, and actually think it is a decent idea when it is set up or used properly. My wife, who is somewhat technologically challenged (but is making strides), has trouble with the voice dial commands and gets frustrated when it wont do what she wants. My son's used car, a 2000 Subaru Forrester, doesn't have an input or Bluetooth so I have looked at the visor option. It is more affordable than a new stereo, and easier to install, but he really digs "his music" when he drives so we may end up sprawled over the car interior once the weather brakes...

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:27 pm

My wife loves the built-in Bluetooth on her CRV. Answering the phone and/or hanging up is pretty simple. She can reach the button on the steering wheel with her thumb.

And speaking of voice commands, I'm really impressed at how well that works on the new GPS unit I just got. I don't own a smartphone, so I was somewhat out of touch with advances in that technology over the years. The early voice command systems were awful.

hbendle

Postby hbendle » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:18 am

We have a couple Mazdas and I find the Bluetooth (no navigation installed) a bit klunky. I think there is a broad spectrum across auto companies when it comes to making a good Bluetooth interface in the vehicle. For example mine's OK for making calls but I had to make a phonebook in the car, it won't use my phone's contact list. Or, it will interrupt the radio for a phone call, but not other notifications like if I just missed the turn on Google maps. And, sending a text or replying to a text hands-free is either impossible or extremely hard to figure out, but I think that's more my phone than the car.

Not that it's a good idea anyway. As B&W pointed out earlier distraction is the major issue and hands-free is a subset of that.

LioninVa

Postby LioninVa » Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:13 pm

My wife drives a Mazda VC7 and has the same problems with Bluetooth.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:04 pm

I leased a Subaru for almost 2 years and while the car was cheap, the sound system and Bluetooth were great. I was able to access my entire phonebook off my phone. I regularly streamed music off of apps, etc. I dumped that car a year ago and bought an Acura. The Bluetooth is actually inferior. I have to load phone numbers into a phonebook and it is a lot more limited. I think if I bought a more expensive car I got a better system but the system from Subaru was superior to what I have in the Acura. I can still stream music and apps and that actually works pretty well but I liked the Subaru system better.
Alex Cora sucks. Mickey Callaway sucks. Baseball sucks. Everything and everyone just sucks. Is it football season yet?

LioninVa

Postby LioninVa » Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:50 pm

I have not heard a bad review of a Subaru before this, B-Dub. I owned an Impreza in the early 90’s and we bought the aforementioned Forrester last year after the Dodge Caiber was taken out in a hit and run overnight. Neither of these had Bluetooth, as they predate the improved technology, but I have no complaints regarding the mechanics and operation. I would buy another in a heartbeat. Of course, in my history of vehicular ownership, my only gripes have been with Ford and their customer service. So, I may not be the best resource.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:21 pm

I had a few Subaru's over the years. I had an Outback for a number of years that started to give me a lot of headaches at around 100,000 miles. That's why I walked away from them. The Acura is really a Honda and I got a great deal on it. It was a 2016 sitting on the lot last January and it was priced to sell. They took $8,000 off the price, waives all the fees and bought me out of my lease. Too good a deal to pass up, and I'm never that lucky.
Alex Cora sucks. Mickey Callaway sucks. Baseball sucks. Everything and everyone just sucks. Is it football season yet?

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:31 pm

We had a Subaru back in the 1980s that gave us a lot of trouble and we never bought another. This was back when auto makers were transitioning from carburetors to electronic fuel injection systems and the one in our Subaru was a chronic problem.

That said, we have acquaintances who swear by Subarus.