These are a few more of my favorite peeves

PittGradPSUMad

Re: These are a few more of my favorite peeves

Postby PittGradPSUMad » Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:03 pm

psu_dad wrote: I've never been treated impolitely or unprofessionally by TSA.

I ran into one TSA agent who was kind of a dick, but putting aside whether or not they serve a worthwhile purpose, I would have to say that most TSA agents I've encountered have been nicer than I would be in their position.

PS - Anyone who attempts to sneak a metallic certs wrapper onto a plane needs to be tasered. And if I'm waiting in line behind them, they should also be clubbed for good measure when they regain consciousness.

Mrs psu_dad: What is it with this taser obsession?
Me: If they were made legal here, I'd be heading to Best Buy two seconds later.

I will be sending Mrs. Dad her own, personalized, monogrammed taser in the color of her choice. It's long overdue. Please be so kind as to forward me your address.
Yeah, well, that's like your opinion, man.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:06 pm

psu_dad wrote:They were hoping to find someone willing to take that room before having to force it on someone. Sorta like when an airline asks for volunteers to give up their seat on an overbooked flight before booting someone off. Which is going to happen to you on your next flight, BTW.

I concluded the same thing, but why even have that room? If it can fit a pull out sofa, It can fit a queen size bed, right?
Alex Cora sucks. Mickey Callaway sucks. Baseball sucks. Everything and everyone just sucks. Is it football season yet?

sameoldlama

Postby sameoldlama » Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:16 pm

B&W - get the pre-check. I've had it since it was implemented - it should take your blood pressure down 20 points. I had Nexxus when I went to Canada frequently and that was a big bonus - getting it was more of a hassle than TSA pre-check but Toronto airport was a nightmare for security screening delays. Absolutely brutal.

If you have status with an airline or your company uses a travel service they might be able to hook you up with the TSA pre-check.

I don't recall ever being pulled out for additional screening since I got pre-check - so either I don't look dangerous or the pre-check lowers your odds.
Wendall : That's very linear Sheriff
Ed Tom : Age will flatten a man Wendall

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:28 pm

My company will pay for it. I've just not done it. I'll ask my bosses admin how to kick off the process when I see her tomorrow.

Btw, I have Nexxus already. It's been a few years, but I assume that makes the process easier.
Alex Cora sucks. Mickey Callaway sucks. Baseball sucks. Everything and everyone just sucks. Is it football season yet?

LioninVa

Postby LioninVa » Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:43 pm

I flew commercial air a lot after I retired from the Navy but not so much while active duty. One time was a few months after Sept 11th. I checked in with using my military ID. Several folks gave me the “ thank you for your service” response but TSA gave me a treatment that some folks pay for on a Friday night. Meanwhile, four guys of obvious Middle Eastern descent breezed through. I actually saw people tell the gate people they would not take the flight if those guys did.

Flying since the TSA Precheck, that one is a no brainer. I think it probably defeats the purpose of all the knee jerk requirements, but what do I know?

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:47 pm

I concluded the same thing, but why even have that room?

When I drove to Hooterville, PA for my son's graduation, I booked a couple of rooms in a hotel about a half-hour away (forget the town). One of the rooms was adjacent to a room that housed the hotel's massive central AC system. The noise was extremely annoying. The hotel manager apologized and explained that they always left that room empty unless they were booked solid and that I had literally booked the last two rooms when I made my reservation (almost a year earlier).

What could I do? They had me. There probably wasn't another room available within 100 miles.
Fire Alex Cora. (On hold pending further review)

LioninVa

Postby LioninVa » Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:22 pm

Sounds like State College on a football weekend. A Motel 6 room that goes for $49 runs 10 times that and you have to book two nights. At least, that was the case years ago when I last looked!

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:30 pm

I was lucky that I was posting here at the time. Early in the Summer before my son's senior year I mentioned that my son was graduating the following Spring and someone (old_lionesss?) suggested I make hotel reservations ASAP if I hadn't already. It hadn't occurred to me to make reservations nearly a year in advance.
Fire Alex Cora. (On hold pending further review)

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:39 pm

Summer before my senior year I was home and I told my parents they should book the hotels for graduation before I went back to school for the fall. My parents said "we'll do it closer to the event, no problem". I said it will be a huge problem and they were making a mistake. They ignored me.

Around spring break they started calling for hotels. The closest one they could find was east of Harrisburg. I warned them.

Carl Spackler

Postby Carl Spackler » Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:32 pm

Our son has the pre-check and says its great.

The ticketing agent generally looks at me walking up and asks if I need a wheel chair, actually insists. My pride used to keep me from it but once I tried it I'll never to back to standing in a 100 yd line of passengers when it's so much fun to be wheeled past them ALL and put in the front of the line for metal check, pocket check, etc. It's a breeze, of course I'd give a lot to not be so imminently qualified to ride by but those are the cards I was dealt long ago. Occasionally I get a benefit and finally I'm taking it. I'll picture B&W in the line I'm passing next time we fly to NYC to visit our son and DIL. :)
So I got that going for me...which is nice. It's a cross between Kentucky Bluegrass, Featherbed Bent and Northern California Sensimilla so you can play 36 holes on it,take it home at night and get stoned to the begesses belt