2017-18 baseball off season

psu_dad

Re: 2017-18 baseball off season

Postby psu_dad » Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:17 pm

After his first three seasons, he seemed to be heading for the HOF. That seems less likely now. He would have to play 7 or 8 more years at his current level of production to get to 400 HRS and 1500 RBIs (and he's 31). And' he's not the ,290-ish hitter he used to be. He's more of a .270-ish hitter.

Still VERY good, though. And he's one of the best bargains in MLB, if not THE best. He signed a 15-year/144M contract when he was still in his early 20s. That prevented him from landing a big FA contract in his prime . I guess he decided the financial security was worth it.
Fire Alex Cora. (On hold pending further review)

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:12 pm

It doesn't seem like he has much left in the tank, though. Maybe he will bounce back but his offensive production has been trending downward for a while. He's still a good fielder, but how long until age and wear and tear impact his ability to field? The giants take on the last 5 years of his contract and he's still owed over $80M. If he was a free agent, there is no chance that he would be signed to a 5 year/$80+M contract. And, the Giants gave up some good prospects to get him.

I'm going to assume the Rays threw in a bunch of money because, otherwise, this was a stupid move by the Giants in my opinion. That contract is not going to age well and they gave up an infield prospect that projects to be a solid major league starter. "Projects" doesn't always translate into reality, obviously, but it Longoria has been showing he is in the back end of his career for the past couple of years. So, I don't really understand the logic here.
Alex Cora sucks. Mickey Callaway sucks. Baseball sucks. Everything and everyone just sucks. Is it football season yet?

Jerry Garcia

Postby Jerry Garcia » Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:25 pm

My son and I attended the 3rd game of the Phils-Ray World Series in '08. Whenever Longoria came up to bat, a stadium-wide cheer went up: "EEE-va! EEE-va! EEE-va!" It was a very comical touch to a perfect night of sports - Phils win in the 9th, and during the rain delay we all got to watch PSU beat OSU at the 'shoe as Pat Devlin led the Lions to the winning TD in the 4th quarter. A magical night that I will always associate in a minor way with Evan Longoria.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:17 pm

It doesn't seem like he has much left in the tank, though.

If he played his entire career against just the Red Sox, he'd be a lock for the HOF. He's owned them for 10 years. I'm not sorry to see him go to the NL.

Sounds like Longoria's contract was seriously back-loaded, because the average salary over the 15 years was less than 10M per. Now that he's entering the fat part of the contract, I guess the Devil Rays wanted no part of it. I read that they're kicking in 14.5M for what Longoria is owed, so that makes the contract more reasonable for the Giants. And it's not like the Pujols or Cano contracts that go to age 40. He''ll just be 36 when the contract ends.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:47 pm

I don't think this is a new revelation. I'm pretty sure he's talked about this before. He's been pretty open about everything he and Gooden would do when they were basically kids and with the Mets.

Gooden and Strawberry are a case study in how not to manage young players. Strawberry came up when was 21. He was an inner city kid who grew up poor in LA, didn't have a whole lot of boundaries, and suddenly was a big star with some cash in his pocket. He grew up around drugs and it didn't take a fortune teller to predict how he would react to the big city. Gooden grew up in the burbs and had a lot more to work with but he was 19 when he came up. was suddenly a big star, and was hanging round with big party guy (Strawberry). The Mets management just shrugged their shoulders and said "hey, they're adults" and didn't do anything to protect them. And, I guess technically that was true, but they should have tried to protect their investment. I'm not sure what they could have done, but maybe bringing them up so young was a mistake. By the time the Mets made the 86 World Series run, Gooden was already into his tailspin. He managed to pitch 200 innings that year but he wasn't the same guy he was his first 2 years. He had developed a massive coke habit and sometimes he just vanished. Both of those guys could have been Hall of Famers if they could have kept it together. Pity.
Alex Cora sucks. Mickey Callaway sucks. Baseball sucks. Everything and everyone just sucks. Is it football season yet?

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Thu Dec 21, 2017 2:37 pm

... he was 19 when he came up

I have feelings for 19-year-olds who come back from foreign conflicts in a box or with damaged bodies or minds. For Strawberry, I have none. A wonderful gift, pissed away by self-indulgence. If that makes me an a-hole, then fine, I'm an a-hole.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:54 am

Since Jeter came up as a rookie in 1995, he has known nothing but pure adulation. Everyone loved Derek, cheered his name, and told him how awesome he was for the next 20 years. That's why I am really sorry I can't personally watch him get hammered by Marlins fans at these "town halls" he and his fellow owners have started holding with season ticket holders. He probably can't believe people aren't just telling him how great he is. I think I'd even be willing to buy a ticket to get in and watch people tell him how much he sucks.

Shame these things aren't being recorded. I've only been able to read about them.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:51 am

In fairness to Jeter, the conventional wisdom in MLB now seems to be that if you're a small-market team mired in mediocrity, you have to take extreme measures to rebuild. You can't just buy FAs to rebuild like big-market teams can, So you dump whatever decent veterans you have for prospects, totally suck for several years, and take advantage of the high draft picks you'll get as a result.

The Astros were mired in mediocrity several years ago, hovering just under or over .500 every year and not getting anywhere. Then in 2010 and 2011, they dumped all their decent veterans for prospects. This produced a 4-year stretch from 2011-14 where they averaged 100+ losses a year. That gave them access to high draft picks. Now they're the WS champion.

The problem in Miami is that they've gone though that several times before and the fans (mistakenly) thought that building the team a new stadium would end that. Plus, Jeter can't come out and say "Our plan is to totally suck for several years". That's not going to go over well when you were just handed a new stadium on the taxpayer's dime.

----------------

All that said, Jeter can't take enough abuse from the fans down there to suit me. :D

pennstate92

Postby pennstate92 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:24 am

Jeter's just trying the same methodology that won the Marlins 2 world series. Can't fault him there. He's just got to make it work then the fans will forget Stanton.

As for the Metsies, just hired Omar Minaya to be special agent in charge, or some typically inane title. Apparently it's got the rest of the front office in a tizzy. LOLMets.

So glad I'm not so invested in baseball anymore.

:lol:
If at first you don't succeed, give up. There is no hope for you.