2017-18 baseball off season

psu_dad

Re: 2017-18 baseball off season

Postby psu_dad » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:45 am

Given all of the by-the-book ways ownership is holding back free agents, though, there doesn't even need to be something illegally untoward going on here for the c word to be invoked. And until J.D. Martinez, Jake Arrieta, Yu Darvish, and the rest of the gang get theirs, expect to keep hearing it used.

All three of those guys are represented by Scott Boras. He's probably asking for 2x what they're worth. There's been some local buzz about the Red Sox acquiring Martinez and the asking price being reported is Totally Ridiculous.
Klaatu barada nikto

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:59 pm

Mets sign Jay Bruce for 3 years/$39M. I'm not wild about 3 years but $13M/year really isn't crazy given where salaries have gotten the past few years. I presume they will have him not only play outfield but also some first base. Bruce never really played first before but, fortunately, it's not that hard.
Is it baseball season yet?

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:16 am

Pirates trade Cole to the Astros. Sorry Pirates fans, but that's your season right there. From what I read, the prospects they got back aren't all that.

In other news, Mets sign Adrian Gonzalez to a major league contract but for the league minimum. I guess that's a high reward/low risk kind of a deal. If he's got nothing left in the tank, you cut him and move on. But, maybe he can still play. He had an awful 2017 but also had some back issues. In 2016 he batted .285, 18 HRs and 90 RBI. So, he's not that far removed from being a decent player. Worth a flight for the minimum, I think.

Not much else happening in baseball. The market is really slow to move.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:16 am

I remember just before Christmas, the Braves acquired Gonzales and a couple of other guys from the Dodgers in a trade (for Matt Kemp). Then they gave him his release a couple of days later. He still had 22M coming for 2018. That had to be an arranged thing. Perhaps part of the deal was that the Braves had to buy out the last year of his contract ... or maybe share the cost with the Dodgers.

I don't understand why a guy who just completed a $150M+ contract would want to continue playing for the minimum. Beats sitting around the house, I guess.
Klaatu barada nikto

pennstate92

Postby pennstate92 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:18 am

Mets have to decide whether they like Dom Smith or not. Some talk indicating AG is there to mentor Dom, but I think that's horsespit. Frankly, in reviewing the Met's 1st round draft picks, I don't see any difference makers. Thought SA was a maestro of sabermetrics, but frankly he's acted more like Robert Duvall in the Godfather, than a professional baseball GM since he's been there.

The Wilpons are a scourge, and the older Fred gets, the more responsibility Jeffie takes on. There's no happy ending here unfortunately, except to hope the blind squirrel finds a nut every now and again. Oh, and Omar Minaya coming back...might as well bring Jim Duquette back to and GM by committee.
If at first you don't succeed, give up. There is no hope for you.

PittGradPSUMad

Postby PittGradPSUMad » Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:26 am

Blue&White wrote:Pirates trade Cole to the Astros. Sorry Pirates fans, but that's your season right there. From what I read, the prospects they got back aren't all that.

Cole tanked in all significant metrics last season, and it wasn't for a lack of support. Having said that, watch him register a monster comeback season with the 'stroes. Some good, young arms in the offing, but they'll need another season or two (or three) to develop. Pirates strength just a few seasons ago has become their biggest liability.
Yeah, well, that's like your opinion, man.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:19 am

Dad - are you asking why he would only take the minimum or why he would come back at all? The answer on the minimum is he's getting his full contract from the Braves and probably some from the Dodgers. Typically when a player gets cut like that he then plays for the minimum. Teams generally don't pay you twice. I suppose it could happen but, generally, a player who will generate a bidding war wouldn't have gotten cut to begin with.

92 - Alderson drafted Conforto and I'd say he's worked out pretty well. He was turning into a superstar before he got hurt. The jury is out on Smith right now. He may bomb out but too early to say. He played 6 weeks in the majors and didn't show much. But, he may improve. He's barely 21 right now. Give him a chance. Agree with you on the Wilpon's though. They need to go.

Mad - Cole still throws hard. Will be interesting to see how he does in Houston. That's not a great pitchers park but he'll have greater run support. Time will tell.

Jerry Garcia

Postby Jerry Garcia » Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:48 pm

Collusion? The fans could use a little collusion at this point. As a matter of fact, I'm all for it.

Also, any front office turmoil in the Mets organization is a joy to behold. I'm all for that, too.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:40 pm

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:48 pm

McCutchen traded to San Francisco. Pirates are taking the whole thing apart.