2017-18 baseball off season

Shane

Re: 2017-18 baseball off season

Postby Shane » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:40 am

Shocking development that the Pirates are starting over.......

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:51 am

I get trading McCutchen but it seems they just about gave him away. I guess the market for him was really soft.
Hire Alex Cora

pennstate92

Postby pennstate92 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:20 pm

McCutchen's been losing value for about three years now. Doesn't mean he's a bad pickup for the Giants, esp. given they gave up relatively little to get him.

Regardless, I've given up on any sort of hope that the Mets will do anything substantive for the remainder of the offseason. And I don't like what they've done so far. Hope is not a method, but every year it seems that's SA and the Wilpon's entire methodology for building a team. Thankfully, I'm past the point of really caring about the Mets. Might watch some Braves games this year, instead.
If at first you don't succeed, give up. There is no hope for you.

PittGradPSUMad

Postby PittGradPSUMad » Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:13 pm

Blue&White wrote:I get trading McCutchen but it seems they just about gave him away. I guess the market for him was really soft.

The Pirates received prospects in exchange for McCutcheon who becomes a free agent after the coming season. At 31, McCutcheon could possibly return to the form that led the Pirates out of wandering the post-season desert for twenty years, but his production has fallen off significantly the past two seasons. I'm sure it was a difficult decision to trade a player much beloved in the 'burgh, but it appeared to be inevitable. The Pirates shopped him around last winter without result. Better to get something now than nothing later.
Yeah, well, that's like your opinion, man.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:34 pm

The Pirates received prospects in exchange for McCutcheon

You and I define prospect differently. The outfielder, Reynolds, is a former 2nd round pick who is not living up to expectations. He has no pop, no speed and strikes out 25% of the time. He also can't seem to take a walk, which shows a lack of plate discipline and pitch recognition. But, surprisingly given his secondary numbers, he has hit for a decent average in the minors. But, unless he develops some power, I doubt he plays a day in the majors.

The pitcher, Crick, came up and pitched some with the big club last year. I looked at his numbers. Looks like he throws strikes and is probably a middle relief guy.

I get trading McCutchen. And, this may be what the market would bear, but I'm just surprised at how little they got for him. Not even a highly valued lower tier prospect. Someone with a high upside kind of a player. None of that. I hope he has a bounce back year and makes the Pirates regret selling low on him. I always liked him as a player and he always comes off as a good guy. So, don't like the Giants but I'll pull for him.
Hire Alex Cora

PittGradPSUMad

Postby PittGradPSUMad » Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:44 pm

I do, too. I really like the guy. Athletically, he's the whole package, he's a good clubhouse leader and a good person to boot. I will miss seeing him in the black and gold.
Yeah, well, that's like your opinion, man.

pennstate92

Postby pennstate92 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:08 am

So, collusion or just the market doing market things this offseason?
If at first you don't succeed, give up. There is no hope for you.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:01 am

A recent poll in Fangraphs rated the Mets as having the worst ownership in all of baseball. Some disputed this and threw out the Marlins or Pirates as ownership groups that are at least as bad, if not worse, than the Wilpons. Seeing their triumph of being the undisputed #1 in something slipping away, the Mets scrambled to find a way to cement their distinction as the worst ownership in baseball. Ultimately, they decided the only way to prove that they really sucked more than any other ownership in baseball was to release Jeff Wilpon from his cage in the basement of Citi Field and allow him to speak to the press.

No one is questioning that #1 rating now, I promise you that.

<sigh>
Hire Alex Cora

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:22 am

In my next life, I'm going to have a really rich dad who owns a baseball team. I'll be able to spend my entire youth goofing off. It's going to rock.

Didn't Adam Sandler make a movie about this?
Fire Alex Cora.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:32 am

Yes, but the Adam Sandler character was endearing. There is nothing endearing about Jell Wilpon.

Btw, the last 2 paragraphs of that article really sum up the Wilpons:

I’m guessing every team has a line item, someplace, about the costs of insurance. They’re businesses after all, and all businesses have to deal with that. They do not talk about it as a barrier to spending more money on players to the press, however, as they likely know that fans want to be told a story of hope and baseball-driven decisions heading into a new season and do not want to hear about all of the reasons the club will not spend any money despite sitting in a huge market.

This doesn’t change a thing about what the Mets were going to do or not do, but it does have the added bonus of making Mets fans roll their eyes and ask themselves what they did to deserve these owners. And that, more than almost anything, is the essence of Mets fandom these days.
Hire Alex Cora