2017-18 baseball off season

Blue&White

Re: 2017-18 baseball off season

Postby Blue&White » Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:36 am

All that said, Jeter can't take enough abuse from the fans down there to suit me. :D

That was really my point. I don't think the approach is wrong. They have all this talent and they aren't winning. So, why pay all that money to lose with these guys when you can save money and look to build a winning organization going forward. There is a logic to it. I just like watching him get hammered. The interesting thing is Jeter is insisting they are not going back to those days where they build up for one good run and then suck for many years. He claims he's trying to build a sustainable winner. I don't see how that is really possible in Miami. Even when they win the Florida teams just don't get enough support to really sustain the kind of payroll you need to be the Yankees or Dodgers.

92 - saw that on Omar. Whatever. That is way down on the list of things that are pissing me off about the Mets this offseason.
Alex Cora sucks. Mickey Callaway sucks. Baseball sucks. Everything and everyone just sucks. Is it football season yet?

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:20 pm

He claims he's trying to build a sustainable winner. I don't see how that is really possible in Miami.

That part is total BS from Jeter. KC couldn't pull that off. Pittsburgh couldn't, either. So Miami sure as hell isn't going to. They got a one-year goose in attendance when the new park was built, but other than that, they've been near the bottom of MLB in attendance since forever. But like I said, the bad PR from the new park financing makes the truth hard to admit.

I don't see this ending up with him a hero. Which is fine by me.
Fire Alex Cora. (On hold pending further review)

PSUgrower

Postby PSUgrower » Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:56 pm

As many of you know, I really like listening to the Le Batard show. Anywho, I suggest listening to his interview the baseball commish, Manfred. It is awesome. Le Batard is brutally honest and it is a great interview. All of the sports outlets are showing about minutes of the interview but it was almost 20 minutes long. It is fantastic!

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:20 pm

Le Batard is going after the wrong people. He should be going after the politicians who agreed to pay for a new park with taxpayer $$$ without any contractual agreement that the team would commit a certain amount of $$$ to their annual payroll. The folks in Miami were begging to be screwed. And now, they're acing like Captain Renault in Casablanca.

"I'm shocked ... SHOCKED ... to find we are getting screwed here!"
Fire Alex Cora. (On hold pending further review)

PSUgrower

Postby PSUgrower » Sat Dec 23, 2017 1:49 pm

Agree, but it is easier to make Manfred the villain verses the local politicains

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Sat Dec 23, 2017 3:31 pm

There were a lot of shenanigans around that park in Miami. I don't recall all the details but from what I recall there were a number of politicians in Miami who were dead set against forking over the money for the stadium. They were willing to pony up some cash because they thought it would bring some level of investment and business into that area but they felt that the majority of the cost should be borne by the Marlins as their ownership was rich and they were profitable. The Marlins came out with a whole sob story about how poor they were, they would move the team if they couldn't get help in Miami, and what a great jobs and city renovation project this would be and how everyone would benefit. Ultimately, the officials who thought this was nuts were overruled by their colleagues, and the stadium was built on tax payer dollars.

A few years later, there was a massive email leak from MLB and in included in that leak were financial documents for the Marlins (and the Pirates, who told a similar story about having no money to get a new stadium in Pittsburgh). Turns out the Marlins and Pirates were making a healthy profit and they lied about their financial condition. The politicians who were against this from the beginning went nuts and threatened to sue. I don't think anything came of it, though.

EDIT: This article explains what happened in Miami.
Alex Cora sucks. Mickey Callaway sucks. Baseball sucks. Everything and everyone just sucks. Is it football season yet?

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:27 am

Numerous reports out this morning that a number of other bidders for the Marlins, all of which were spurned by MLB, said they planned to increase payroll and not trade away all their talent.

Someone has some 'splainin to do.

sameoldlama

Postby sameoldlama » Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:23 pm

The Marlins are an organization that needs to build for a 4-5 year window and then clean house and start ground up again. They are not like the Yanks, Red Sox, Dodgers or Cubs where they can carry or eat some big money when not contending.

I wish the Orioles had realized this at trade deadline last season. But no they thought by picking up a starter with a 6 ERA to go with the other 3 batting practice starters they had they could overtake the Red Sox and Yanks. And they finished in last.

Now they are stuck with an $18MM Adam Jones, injured Zach Britton and going to walk can't get good trade value for him Machado all in final year of their contracts. They are stuck with bad contracts on Davis and Trumbo (at least Tillman, Jiminez and Hardy rolled off) and are 3 starters away from a respectable starting rotation. Had they moved Jones, Britton, Machado for prospects they had some future hope and another nearly $50MM to go after free agent pitchers. With Mancini, Schoop, Hayes and Sisco in the fold they could have hoped three years down the road to have a young foundation they could keep together for a few years augmented with good FA signings.

(K)hris Davis and many other dead weight contracts have shown small market teams can't go all in on a single player for long term unless they have enough parts around that guy to be contenders for the majority of that deal. The Marlins weren't going to overtake the Nats anytime soon and weren't going to challenge Cubs or Dodgers in next few years.
Wendall : That's very linear Sheriff
Ed Tom : Age will flatten a man Wendall

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:16 pm

The Davis contract was ridiculous at the time. No one was offering him anything close to that. Sluggers no longer seem to command top dollar anymore. That market had started to shake out at the time the Orioles signed Davis. It was just a really stupid thing to do.

sameoldlama

Postby sameoldlama » Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:13 am

Given his track record of inconsistency and a PED suspension in his pocket it was a really dumb thing to do. He's fast looking like the Ryan Howard of Baltimore.
Wendall : That's very linear Sheriff
Ed Tom : Age will flatten a man Wendall