2017-18 baseball off season

Blue&White

2017-18 baseball off season

Postby Blue&White » Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:16 am

Here comes the Hot Stove. Rumors already swirling on where Stanton may end up. Marlins have made it clear they want to trade him and that contract. Who has the prospects to give and the money to spend? I suspect the more of that contract a team is willing to take on the less they will have to give up to get him.

Managerial changes are already well underway, with a head scratching hire by the Phillies.

I'm not sure who the big FAs are. The biggest name I can think of is Darvish and he's had a lot of injuries. Crapping the bed in game 7 of the World Series also didn't help his value any. Not sure who else is out there. Is Todd Frazier a big name FA? Guy is all stick, no glove.

Anyway, it's a long slog until next season. Glad I have PSU football to keep me going for a while longer.

Jerry Garcia

Re: 2017-18 baseball off season

Postby Jerry Garcia » Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:10 am

Carrying my consternation over the Phillies managerial hire to the new thread, I'd love to be offered a few drinks with Charlie Manuel and Larry Bowa - both kept on by the Phils - to discuss Gabe Kapler (might as well be Gabe Kaplan, come to think of it).

Bowa: So I hear he's into coconut oil...

Manuel: My wife made me throw that stuff away years ago.

Bowa: No...I mean with himself...

Manuel: Bartender! Another round - make it triples!

Can't wait to hear what Mrs Dad makes of this.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:13 am

I remember Kapler. He was on that 2004 Red Sox team that steam-rolled the Yankees and Cardinals in 8 straight. He was a backup outfielder. Not a great talent, but an adequate backup. The Red Sox were pleased enough to offer him a new contract (at backup $$$) but some Japanese team offered to over-pay him, so he played in Japan for a couple of years.

The coconut oil doesn't surprise me. I remember he had a rep for being a very serious health food nut. I don't recall any indication that he was a "nut", in general. He made it abundantly clear back then that he aspired to be a manager some day. I'm certain he managed in the Red Sox farm system (A-ball?) for at least one year.

Jerry Garcia

Postby Jerry Garcia » Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:20 am

Maybe he'll be the second coming of John McGraw, who knows. Call me skeptical.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:32 am

I'm sure he'll look good in the uni. A lot of baseball players have terrible diets that they get away with while playing. Then they balloon up when they retire. I haven't seen a photo of him in years, but I seriously doubt he's one of those guys.

So there's that.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:37 am

I checked. I thought he has no managerial experience but he actually did manage one season with the Red Sox organization. He steered their Single A team, the Greenville Drive to a 58 - 81 record back in 2007. He was a coach for the Israeli team during the lead up to the 2013 WBC but was done with that in the fall of 2012 as Israel didn't get past the qualifying rounds. And he ran player development for the Dodgers were he ended up part of an accusation of discriminating against a veteran.

And now he's the Phillies manager.

I don't get it. The Phillies are a big enough club in a big enough market that they don't have to hire someone with zero managing experience and pay him on the cheap. If Kapler bombs out with the Phillies, his next career should be on how to handle a job interview because he must have put on some show to get that job.

Jerry Garcia

Postby Jerry Garcia » Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:00 am

I think he's more or less Matt Klentak's new-age baseball cyborg fantasy that is programmed to run around making perfect analytical decisions throughout every moment of every game. And part of that is fine, I actually like the analytics approach to a game that hadn't changed that much tactically in a hundred years. And Klentak has taken a solid approach to the Phils' rebuild, even if some of his dice-rolls came up craps (Morton, Buckholz, Saunders, etc.). He's earned the opportunity to implant his own guy into the manager chair. So he's gone ALL-in with Kapler (rhymes with Crap-ler :)). Philly fans will give him a fair shot - oh, maybe the entire first homestand in April - so no worries there.

This may actually be fun.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:06 am

It's no stranger than Alex Cora being hired as the Red Sox manager. His ENTIRE coaching/managing career consists of one year as a bench coach. One year.

PS - Regarding Kapler, I'm a little surprised that an attorney would hold "being accused of something" against him. A perfectly innocent person can (and often does) find themselves in that situation.

PittGradPSUMad

Postby PittGradPSUMad » Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:48 am

Jerry Garcia wrote:I think he's more or less Matt Klentak's new-age baseball cyborg fantasy that is programmed to run around making perfect analytical decisions throughout every moment of every game. And part of that is fine, I actually like the analytics approach to a game that hadn't changed that much tactically in a hundred years. And Klentak has taken a solid approach to the Phils' rebuild, even if some of his dice-rolls came up craps (Morton, Buckholz, Saunders, etc.). He's earned the opportunity to implant his own guy into the manager chair. So he's gone ALL-in with Kapler (rhymes with Crap-ler :)). Philly fans will give him a fair shot - oh, maybe the entire first homestand in April - so no worries there.

This may actually be fun.

Funny. And inevitable. I will forever recall the abuse rained down upon Jim Fregosi in his last season as manager of the Phils. Took Young Mad to see the Giants play the Phils at the Vet that year.....YM was a huge Will Clark fan....and witnessed one of the fugliest beat downs in Phils history....a 19-to-something stinker. The few Phillies fans in attendance set new records in showering Fregosi with some of the more creative profanity that I've ever witnessed. YM was thirteen at the time, and it was futile to try and shield him from the non-stop shit-storm coming from a few rows above where we sat.
Gabe Kapler, welcome to Philadelphia....the place where manager's careers go to die.
Yeah, well, that's like your opinion, man.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:51 am

That's the Yankees approach now, too. Word is that is why they got rid of Girardi. He wasn't on board with the analytical approach as much as they wanted and they want a manager who is more a conduit of decisions made by the front office vs. someone who actually manages in the traditional sense. Since Girardi left it's come out that the Yankees stat guys want to dictate everything - the batting order, the shifts, when players can swing, etc. So, if that is the Phillies philosophy too, then I guess a guy like Kapler is perfect. The last thing you need is someone who thinks they know stuff or has experience.

I guess we will see how it goes. I think the A's proved you can field a competitive team this way. The players still need to perform but if you can reduce the randomness some and get the most out of each player in terms of where they bat, where they set up for each batter while in the field, etc., you certainly increase your odds of winning.

It begs the question if you even need a manager. Or a manager that is remotely competent. If they are nothing but a conduit, does it matter if they know anything? I guess the Phillies figure putting an actual baseball guy will still matter with the fans, but, ultimately, if this goes the way JC is suggesting it won't matter much if the fans like Kapler or not.