2017-18 baseball off season

psu_dad

Re: 2017-18 baseball off season

Postby psu_dad » Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:25 pm

He needs to turn things around. In the last 3 years his ERA has gone from 1.77 to 3.10 to 3.53. His WHIP was still decent last year, but he gave up HRs last year at 3x the rate of 3 years ago, That probably explains the ERA.

I'm surprised he could still get 25M per. Probably because he was willing to sign for just 3 years.
Fire Alex Cora.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:46 pm

He gave up a lot of home runs at Wrigley. What do you think that translates to in Philly? You think more or less? I'm thinking a whole lot more. And, I agree that $25M per seems like a lot for him at this point. Especially since it's mid-March and it's not like people were beating down the door to sign him. I figured he would sign a 1 year deal to prove he can still pitch. He did well getting 3 but the Phillies really choked in that negotiation giving up $75M guaranteed. Especially when you look at what some of the other people have signed for the past few weeks. Scott Boras has looked like a schmuck most of this offseason, but the Phillies just made him look like a genius again.

That's ok, though. He still has some decent stuff and he's going to have some good outings. I'd much rather have him wasting in the top of the Phillies rotation than have to face him as the #3 or #4 started with the Nationals.
#Emmertknew

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:02 pm

The lack of buzz locally for the upcoming season is palpable.

There's an interesting trend going on here. The Red Sox have successfully marketed the park to Boston-area yuppie dilettantes as an "in" place to be. So they'll likely do fine, attendance-wise. But in terms of the hardcore sports fan, polls by local sports talk stations indicate that baseball interest is trending way down. And the majority of people who call in wanting to talk baseball are older. My youngest prefers the Celtics because (as he put it) "you don't have to invest an entire evening to watch a game in which nothing is happening 90% of the time. A basketball game is over in 2 hours."

I'd never thought I'd see the day when baseball didn't totally dominate local sports talk radio, but it has arrived.
Fire Alex Cora.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:11 pm

I've been thoroughly annoyed by the attempts to speed up the pace of the game. Didn't seem to me it was a problem that needed fixing. But, maybe I'm just an "old timer" and they looking to a younger generation where it is a problem. Don't know. For a while baseball attendance was going crazy. The trend is down some now, but it's still at historical highs". See below:

As for how Red Sox fans feel, I suspect part of that apathy is due to the team the Yankees are putting on the field. The modern era single season run record is 1,067 by the 1931 Yankees. The 2018 Yankees may crush that number at the All Star Break. Ok, probably not, but they should be chasing that number all season. That team is going to hit a ton, especially at home. The record for most home runs by a team is 264 by the 97 Mariners. That record has to be in serious jeopardy this year.
#Emmertknew

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:54 pm

Neil Walker signed a 1 year, $5M deal with the Yankees. Jeez, that's cheap.
#Emmertknew

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:30 pm

Everything in that attendance chart you posted screams "Baby Boomers".

Notice how attendance was fairly flat from 1950 to 1970 when the Boomers were growing up? Then in the mid-to-late 70s when the Boomers started entering the workforce and acquiring disposable income (as I did) attendance starts to climb. And it continues to climb over the decades as Boomers acquired more disposable income. And now that Boomers have begun retiring, attendance is starting to trend down.

The Boomers were/are the most affluent generation in the history of the country. And baseball was huge with them when they were growing up. But MLB is not going to sustain those attendance numbers unless they figure out a way to appeal to the subsequent generations.
Fire Alex Cora.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:36 pm

I guess we've just identified the one thing the Boomers haven't completely ruined - baseball.
#Emmertknew

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:10 pm

You see the influence in other sports as well.

You probably don't remember, but in the 1970s when the Boomers were in their 20s, tennis became HUGE. Tennis courts at public parks and schools that were previously mostly empty on weekends were now mobbed. You literally had to get up at dawn on the weekend to get a court. Some public parks had to hire attendants to keep things orderly. Vic Braden (a tennis coach) had a weekly show on PBS. And tennis clubs sprang up all over the place. Then in the 90s, as the Boomers began to age, they were looking for something a little less physical and golf had a similar monster surge. And the public tennis courts were mostly empty again.
Fire Alex Cora.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:12 pm

Mets are going to pitch inside this season

I realize that mid-March, just over 2 weeks before the opener, the media is really digging around for any baseball story to print. There are a few competitions for spots left on the big club still going on, and a few guys are trying to make a case for the rotation instead of the pen, but generally the baseball news starts to get really slow around now. So, I read this article in that context. But, still, there is something odd to me that the idea of throwing inside even required a discussion and can be credibly billed as a "philosophical change".

As for your tennis/golf comment, that is probably true. My dad still plays tennis regularly (he just turned 79) but I never really got into it.
#Emmertknew

Shore Lion

Postby Shore Lion » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:00 am

Not to hijack this thread but those boomers that were tennis players have now reclaimed a lot of those tennis courts by re-purposing them for pickleball. It's still good exercise but less stressful on joints and things like that. It's an incredibly fast growing sport and the demand for courts is non-stop. It can be played indoors too. The city I work for can't satisfy the demand for court time for pickleball. To try to limit it they make people be 45 and up to play.