2017-18 baseball off season

Blue&White

Re: 2017-18 baseball off season

Postby Blue&White » Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:33 pm

Chipper Jones, Jim Thome, Vlad Guerrero and Trevor Hoffman all elected to the Hall of Fame.

Jones and Thome are in on the first-ballot. I'm a little surprised they got in first time but I agree they both belong in. And, I didn't realize how good Thome's numbers actually were. He ranks 7th in career walks, 8th in homeruns, and 26th in RBIs. I didn't realize his numbers ranked that high until I just saw it. In that context, tough to argue he is in on the first ballot. I wasn't impressed with his 2,328 hits (not that it's not impressive, but first ballot?) but when I saw how high his walks ranked I was a little more forgiving of it.

We've talked about Guerrero before. He was an awesome player with one of the best arms I have ever seen. He ranks 9th in all time assists from right-field, but who knows how many guys just stopped running the bases because he was out there. The only right fielder I can think of with a comparable arm is Jeff Francoeur (who ranked first in assists from right-field 5 different seasons).

Not much to say about Hoffman. 601 saves is a lot of saves.
Is it baseball season yet?

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:27 am

Missed the first time that the Veterans Committee also voted in Alan Trammell and Jack Morris.

I can see the argument for Trammell. His offensive numbers aren't stunning but he as a shortstop, and a good one. Not a position that historically put up big offensive numbers. I would have liked to see more hits for a Hall of Famer, but he played up the middle at an elite level for a long time.

Morris is inexplicable to me, though.

Jerry Garcia

Postby Jerry Garcia » Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:38 pm

Spring training a mere three weeks away...

DUaAJiLV4AA6Em-.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Molia03

Postby Molia03 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:37 pm

Blue&White wrote:Here comes the Hot Stove. Rumors already swirling on where Stanton may end up. Marlins have made it clear they want to trade him and that contract. Who has the prospects to give and the money to spend? I suspect the more of that contract a team is willing to take on the less they will have to give up to get him.

Managerial changes are already well underway, with a head scratching hire by the Phillies.

I'm not sure who the big FAs are. The biggest name I can think of is Darvish and he's had a lot of injuries. Crapping the bed in game 7 of the World Series also didn't help his value any. Not sure rembourser crédit who else is out there. Is Todd Frazier a big name FA? Guy is all stick, no glove.

Anyway, it's a long slog until next season. Glad I have PSU football to keep me going for a while longer.

Let it be :)

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:44 pm

Oscar Gamble, he of the mighty 'fro, has shed his mortal coil at age 68. He played 17 years in the Bigs. I remember him mostly as a Yankee in the early 80s but he played a bunch of places including, I believe, the Phillies in the early 70s.

Rest in peace, Oscar.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:39 am

Seems Eric Hosmer is still asking for a more than 7 year deal.

If this article is accurate, and he had 7 years on the table from 2 teams, and he turned it down, then he is an idiot and his agent is a bigger idiot. It doesn't take collusion for owners to all decide not to be suckers. Some of the deals signed the past few years have been moronic, and not one of them has panned out. the Angels didn't win a Series after signing Pujols. The Mariners haven't made the playoffs after signing Cano. The Marlins haven't finished higher than 3rd since signing that mega deal with Stanton (and they have now traded him away). These big money, long term deals do not get you over the hump. All of them become financial anchors.

That said, I saw an interview with Todd Frazier a few weeks ago where he was saying he would entertain a 1 year deal and still no one is biting. So, something weird is going on. I keep thinking "this is the week" you'll see some of these FAs come off the board and sign with a team but it keeps not happening. And, we are like 12 days away from spring training.

sameoldlama

Postby sameoldlama » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:00 am

Agree that owners not wanting to commit mass suicide by making risky signings is not collusion. Only a handful of teams can risk multiple big money long term deals - and especially risky one with position players hitting 30, guys with PEDs in their past and it's always a gamble with a pitcher.

The Jiminez boat anchor just fell off the Orioles boat but they still have the Davis hole in the hull sinking the ship. How do they feasibly resign Manny and Schoop to the long terms deals they will want and find two quality FA pitchers. To sign Machado / Schoop long term and pick up two quality pitchers (say an Arietta / Darvish) they would have to commit near a billion dollars.

Just think what the Yankees will be paying when Stanton / Judge / Sanchez / Gregorious come due and whatever 1 & 2 starters they have will have. In one game (include a DH, middle reliever and closer) they could be staring down $250MM in salary before getting to the rest of the bench / bullpen.
Wendall : That's very linear Sheriff
Ed Tom : Age will flatten a man Wendall

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:09 am

Reports around here are that the latest Red Sox offer to J.D. Martinez was in the vicinity of 5/125M. And apparently it's not even close to what Boras wants, which is supposedly 7/200M.
Klaatu barada nikto

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:43 am

Something like 12 of the top 20 FAs are still on the board right now. And, I've read that all of them have offers on the table. They just all want more. More years, more money, just more. Boras has been making a lot of public noise about how baseball is being ruined by how this is being done, but Scott Boras complaining about spending has all the credibility of Donald Trump complaining about cyber bullying or Bill Clinton chastising someone for marital infidelity. You just can't take it seriously.

The earliest day that pitchers and catchers report is February 12, with most teams rolling in on the 13th and a few stragglers coming in on the 14th. So, there is almost 2 weeks to go. I suspect we start seeing guys get signed over the next 10 days or thereabouts, and some of them will head into spring training without a contract and will have to hope they can find someone to sign them as February rolls on. But, some of them are going to have to get a lot more reasonable.

If Hosmer wants 8 years, or Martinez is holding out for 7, they may be working out at home for a while. I don't blame teams for not giving them those contracts. And Todd Frazier may have said he is willing to take a 1 year deal, but at what price? The guy hit .213 last year and .225 the year before. Yes, he's put up 67 home runs in those 2 years, but the value of guys who hit for all-or-nothing has been declining since the Royals went to back-to-back World Series by just slapping the ball thru the infield. It doesn't help that Frazier saw a big drop off in power last year (27 home runs, down from 40, and that despite the trade to that bandbox in the Bronx). So, 1 year is nice but not if he's asking for $20M for that 1 year.

I'm still hoping the Mets are kicking the tires on some of these guys and hopefully make an offer to someone who is sitting there and getting desperate. I doubt they are, though, because spending money and signing players that can help you win is just not how the Wilpons' roll.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:43 am

There are some grumblings that the players may strike or boycott spring training for a while over the fact that teams are not signing FAs. It has gotten a bit ridiculous at this point. Is is collusion? Is it the players are just asking for to much? I have no idea. It's getting tough to believe there isn't some kind of coordinated effort in play here, but who knows.

What I do know is Mets pitchers and catchers report on February 12, a mere 9 days away. This horrific football season comes to an end tomorrow and baseball is on the horizon. I am so ready for baseball to come back, even with such low expectations for the Mets.