Re: 2017-18 baseball off season

Postby sameoldlama » Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:54 am

Lamest of Sequels - Caddyshack 2
Wendall : That's very linear Sheriff
Ed Tom : Age will flatten a man Wendall

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:09 am

That was pretty awful, but B&W may be right. The second Bad News Bears sequel has a 0% rating on Rotten Tomatoes.
Jackie Earle Haley (who was in it) considers it "the worst movie ever made". :lol:
Fire Alex Cora. (On hold pending further review)

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:48 pm

He doesn't see enough movies, then. Find him and make him watch Ghostbusters 2. By the time they get to the walking Statue of Liberty scene he will be ready to claw out his own eyes.

The worst part of that is when you go and see a 2nd Bad News Bears movie, that does not include Walter Matthau, you don't expect much. No one thinks that a teenage Jackie Earle Haley is going to some how carry that movie and make it shine. But, when you go and see a movie with Bill Murray, Harold Ramis and Dan Aykroyd, there is an implied covenant that this movie will not suck. And, suck it did. So, for my money, Ghostbusters 2 can't hold a candle to that 2nd Bad News Bears movie.
Alex Cora sucks. Mickey Callaway sucks. Baseball sucks. Everything and everyone just sucks. Is it football season yet?

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:57 pm

Harold Ramis wrote (or co-wrote) both Caddyshack 2 and Ghostbusters 2. Pretty impressive. :D

---------------------

Edit: I' don't recall ever seeing GB2 but I just looked it up and it made a bundle ... over 5x the budget.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:03 pm

That's because it had a great cast and high expectations. People figure "this movie can't possibly suck"

Remember the scene in Zombieland when Bill Murray is dying and they ask him if he had any regrets? He says Garfield but he was absolutely thinking Ghostbusters 2.
Alex Cora sucks. Mickey Callaway sucks. Baseball sucks. Everything and everyone just sucks. Is it football season yet?

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:53 am

Players union files grievance against Rays, Marlins, Pirates & A’s for not spending money

I have no idea what the revenue sharing rules are so I have no idea if not spending money can be a violation, but will be interesting to see if the union can force teams to be more competitive. I'm inclined to doubt it, but I guess it depends on what the contracts say.

Shane

Postby Shane » Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:52 am

As a Pirates fan, I would like to file a grievance against them as well.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:14 am

Pirates president Frank Coonelly responded with a combative tone, issuing a statement labeling the [player's union] action “patently baseless” .

So there you go.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:34 am

I don't generally follow the labor side of baseball beyond the headlines so I don't really get all the ins and outs but I keep reading comments about how a lot of these frustrations are because the union did such a poor job in the last CBA. It's not clear to me what in the CBA is the problem, though.

The union is clearly frustrated, though. Hopefully that doesn't lead to a strike or lockout when this current deal expires.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:26 am

Hey dad, did you see this? Red Sox ask city to change Yawkey Way name to Jersey Street

If I were to guess, I'd bet most people who attend Red Sox games today barely know who Tom Yawkey was or his dubious history on race relations. We are not a nation of historians. I have no strong feelings either way on changing the street name, either, but I thought it was interesting the Red Sox ownership is going out of their way to address something that, as far as I am aware, at least, no one was really asking about. Maybe they were, though. Thought you would know more about it, being more local.