2017-18 baseball off season

psu_dad

Re: 2017-18 baseball off season

Postby psu_dad » Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:42 am

If I were to guess, I'd bet most people who attend Red Sox games today barely know who Tom Yawkey was or his dubious history on race relations.

If they don't know, then they haven't read a newspaper in years. This is our version of a "confederate monument" controversy.

I think one local writer was right in saying that changing the name back to the original "Jersey Street" was smart on the part of the Red Sox. The way things are now, you name it after a person and it's probably just a matter of time before that person becomes a persona non grata and you're right back where you started,
Fire Alex Cora. (On hold pending further review)

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:29 am

If they don't know, then they haven't read a newspaper in years. This is our version of a "confederate monument" controversy.

See, I didn't know that. I had no idea this was a "thing" in Boston. I suppose I should have guessed that the Red Sox didn't just dive into this without any provocation, but I didn't. Reading a little more of that link I posted, I see - not surprisingly - that Yawkey's family and his foundation are a tad upset about this. I think they miss the point that it's possible he did a lot of charitable work and was an avowed racist, but probably best not to quibble.

I don't know enough about Yawkey to comment on him. But, I believe (and I suppose you can confirm) that the Red Sox were not the only Boston team that was slow to integrate. I believe the Celtics also were one of the last teams to allow black players. So, was the problem that Yawkey was a racist? Or, was Boston a racist city that wasn't willing to accept black athletes? Or did both the Red Sox and Celtics have racist owners? I really don't know.

I think Yawkey's reputation is dubious enough that there is nothing wrong with there being a discussion about this. The people we choose to honor should have actually been honorable people. That doesn't mean squeaky clean, no one is perfect, but if you've got some big skeletons in your closet then that should factor in.
Hire Alex Cora

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:06 am

I believe the Celtics also were one of the last teams to allow black players.

You're now 0 for 2.

They were the first team to have a black player ... the first team to have an all-black starting-5 ... and the first team to have a black head coach (Bill Russel). Russel did not like Boston, but he made it clear on numerous occasions that this animosity did not extend to the Celtics. He said they had always treated him and his family with respect and kindness.

-----------------------

The only thing that's silly about tearing down any reference to Yawkey is that you can use the exact same argument to tear down the Jefferson Memorial. Yeh, he was racist. How many white guys born in 1903 weren't?
Fire Alex Cora. (On hold pending further review)

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:28 am

Fair enough. I had heard that about the Celtics and Boston in general, but never took the time to validate because I really didn't care all that much. That's why I asked you to confirm.

And, regarding Yawkey, I agree. The sum total of the man was not that he wouldn't integrate his baseball team. Jefferson was a slave owner. That's a tad worse than not integrating your baseball team.
Hire Alex Cora

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:40 am

538.com calls BS on Manfred's claim the ball wasn't juiced last year.
Hire Alex Cora

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:51 am

Mike Moustakas signed with the Royals. 1 year, $6.5M plus incentives. Man, he went cheap! There have to be a whole bunch of teams right now thinking they would have given him a more on a 1 year deal if they knew that would land him. He's trade bait with that deal.
Hire Alex Cora

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:20 pm

Phillies signed Jake Arrietia. 3 years, $75M.

Phillies had a nice off season. I still don't think they have the pitching to even be a .500 team but they are getting closer.
Hire Alex Cora

Crowbar

Postby Crowbar » Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:35 pm

Love the NY Post headline.

Jake Arrieta finally finds a home - that the Mets won't like. 8-)
41-33.

PSUgrower

Postby PSUgrower » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:45 am

Looks like Philly is becoming to be a place where future champions want to sign! I think we are going to see all 4 teams (Flyers, Sixers, Eagles, Phils) win a championship in the next 5 years!!

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:09 pm

I think you mean soon to be has-beens. We'll see what Arrieta has left in the tank. He's been around a few years and wasn't anything special until recently and a lot of the shine came off last year. Those 3 years could be painful, especially in the band box he's now pitching in. He'll probably be ok but you're not getting the guy who won 22 games in Chicago in 2015.
Hire Alex Cora