What I am thankful for

Blue&White

What I am thankful for

Postby Blue&White » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:28 am

It being the season, I thought I'd list what I'm thankful.

- I am thankful for yoga pants, sizes XS, S, and M
- I am thankful for women who show up at the gym at 6:30 AM wearing yoga pants, size XS, S, and M with shirts that barely cover their stomachs
- I am thankful that somehow women were convinced that stretch pants, a tight sweater and boots was an acceptable dress at work for casual Friday and think the guy who a) came up with this look and b) convinced women to wear it should win the Nobel Prize for Awesome.
- I am thankful that so few people read this board that my misogyny and chauvinism are unlikely to come back and bit me in any real sense.
- I am thankful that JG/Sourthernlion is my personal savior and will come to my defense should a stray female read this board and be upset about my yoga pants comments or, even worse, come out of nowhere to accuse me of inappropriate touching when I was in my early 20s
- I am thankful that spring training is ~12 week away and the Mets are currently tied for first

And, on a more serious note - I lost a good friend this year after a short battle with cancer. He was diagnosed with stage 4 colon cancer Thanksgiving week last year and died the Tuesday after this past labor day. So, I'm thankful myself, my wife, my kids, my parents and sister and brother/sister-in-laws, in-laws, nieces, nephews and friends are all (as far as I'm aware) in good health and looking forward to the holidays and 2018 instead of facing their own mortality. 2017 has been a tough year and hoping that 2018 is a whole lot better.

sameoldlama

Re: What I am thankful for

Postby sameoldlama » Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:50 am

Sounds like Mrs. B&W is getting 23 pairs of yoga pants and a dozen work out tops for Christmas.

Being a gym rat I can tell you - there's sure been a change since I stepped into Rec Hall 35 years ago. Gyms used to be 90% guys. When girls first started going they only did cardio / aerobic classes. Some used machine weights. And it was mostly baggy sweats. Now you will see girls doing any lifting movement a guy would do and as B&W chronicles - their workout wear can be both distracting and inspirational.

As much as wealth inequality has grown so to has body inequality. There are far more women I see with very fit, athletic, toned, muscular builds than ever before. There are also way more and to a greater level - obese women. I'm 6'1" 200lbs and it never ceases to amaze me that I can walk into a bar and half the women outweigh me. Never would have been the case 25 years ago. And with the effects of Father Time and running there are a handful of girls that can out deadlift / squat / leg press me at the gym now.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:00 pm

I think that body disparity is with guys, too. I'll be 49 in January and I'm not in the shape I should be. I go to the gym regularly but I don't eat as well as I should and I drink too much (and I don't really drink much, but I'm sure it's too much). You wouldn't look at me and think "wow, that guy has really let himself go!" or anything like that, but I know I need to drop some weight, maybe 20lbs. But it's really tough. For me to lose weight, I have to pretty much starve myself. My metabolism is non-existent at this point. I eat a lot of salads, I don't eat that much junk, but I do eat it from time to time. And, I find whatever good I do is offset by one bad day. Getting older sucks.

So, I'm not grateful for my aging metabolic system, but there are other things on the list, obviously.

LioninVa

Postby LioninVa » Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:52 pm

I need to do more cardio now that I’m in my (early) 50’s. During my Navy days, I would swim the fitness test with little effort due to good form from my high school days. Having a desk gig coupled with a slower metabolism kind of requires me to do something to keep the weight off, and I don’t see me cutting out beer...

As for thankfulness, I am very thankful for my family. While I wish o got to see my dad and siblings more often, I enjoy the chances when they come. My in laws are good and I am grateful for everything they do for my wife and kids. It seems that I have grown on them.

Then there is this whole group, a more successful Nittanu Lion football team than most expected, life and health and a bunch of other things that I am forgetting.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:06 pm

I need to do more cardio now that I’m in my (early) 50’s.

I do almost all cardio at this point. I want to do more weights but it's tough. I've had a lot of small injuries over the years. I can't run anymore. And I have to be careful lifting. So, I do a lot of cardio. I love the stair climber but will do other things. I used to do things like box jumps but even those are not great on my back.

I want to start doing some lifting again starting the new year. That will really impress the ladies in spandex as probably all of them will be able to out-lift me for a while. Given my history with back issues, and some other joint stuff, I will have to start very light and build back up.

At this point, my best feature is I still have all my hair, and it retains a lot of its original brown color. So, there's that.