What I am thankful for

Blue&White

What I am thankful for

Postby Blue&White » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:28 am

It being the season, I thought I'd list what I'm thankful.

- I am thankful for yoga pants, sizes XS, S, and M
- I am thankful for women who show up at the gym at 6:30 AM wearing yoga pants, size XS, S, and M with shirts that barely cover their stomachs
- I am thankful that somehow women were convinced that stretch pants, a tight sweater and boots was an acceptable dress at work for casual Friday and think the guy who a) came up with this look and b) convinced women to wear it should win the Nobel Prize for Awesome.
- I am thankful that so few people read this board that my misogyny and chauvinism are unlikely to come back and bit me in any real sense.
- I am thankful that JG/Sourthernlion is my personal savior and will come to my defense should a stray female read this board and be upset about my yoga pants comments or, even worse, come out of nowhere to accuse me of inappropriate touching when I was in my early 20s
- I am thankful that spring training is ~12 week away and the Mets are currently tied for first

And, on a more serious note - I lost a good friend this year after a short battle with cancer. He was diagnosed with stage 4 colon cancer Thanksgiving week last year and died the Tuesday after this past labor day. So, I'm thankful myself, my wife, my kids, my parents and sister and brother/sister-in-laws, in-laws, nieces, nephews and friends are all (as far as I'm aware) in good health and looking forward to the holidays and 2018 instead of facing their own mortality. 2017 has been a tough year and hoping that 2018 is a whole lot better.
Alex Cora sucks. Mickey Callaway sucks. Baseball sucks. Everything and everyone just sucks. Is it football season yet?

sameoldlama

Re: What I am thankful for

Postby sameoldlama » Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:50 am

Sounds like Mrs. B&W is getting 23 pairs of yoga pants and a dozen work out tops for Christmas.

Being a gym rat I can tell you - there's sure been a change since I stepped into Rec Hall 35 years ago. Gyms used to be 90% guys. When girls first started going they only did cardio / aerobic classes. Some used machine weights. And it was mostly baggy sweats. Now you will see girls doing any lifting movement a guy would do and as B&W chronicles - their workout wear can be both distracting and inspirational.

As much as wealth inequality has grown so to has body inequality. There are far more women I see with very fit, athletic, toned, muscular builds than ever before. There are also way more and to a greater level - obese women. I'm 6'1" 200lbs and it never ceases to amaze me that I can walk into a bar and half the women outweigh me. Never would have been the case 25 years ago. And with the effects of Father Time and running there are a handful of girls that can out deadlift / squat / leg press me at the gym now.
Wendall : That's very linear Sheriff
Ed Tom : Age will flatten a man Wendall

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:00 pm

I think that body disparity is with guys, too. I'll be 49 in January and I'm not in the shape I should be. I go to the gym regularly but I don't eat as well as I should and I drink too much (and I don't really drink much, but I'm sure it's too much). You wouldn't look at me and think "wow, that guy has really let himself go!" or anything like that, but I know I need to drop some weight, maybe 20lbs. But it's really tough. For me to lose weight, I have to pretty much starve myself. My metabolism is non-existent at this point. I eat a lot of salads, I don't eat that much junk, but I do eat it from time to time. And, I find whatever good I do is offset by one bad day. Getting older sucks.

So, I'm not grateful for my aging metabolic system, but there are other things on the list, obviously.
Alex Cora sucks. Mickey Callaway sucks. Baseball sucks. Everything and everyone just sucks. Is it football season yet?

LioninVa

Postby LioninVa » Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:52 pm

I need to do more cardio now that I’m in my (early) 50’s. During my Navy days, I would swim the fitness test with little effort due to good form from my high school days. Having a desk gig coupled with a slower metabolism kind of requires me to do something to keep the weight off, and I don’t see me cutting out beer...

As for thankfulness, I am very thankful for my family. While I wish o got to see my dad and siblings more often, I enjoy the chances when they come. My in laws are good and I am grateful for everything they do for my wife and kids. It seems that I have grown on them.

Then there is this whole group, a more successful Nittanu Lion football team than most expected, life and health and a bunch of other things that I am forgetting.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:06 pm

I need to do more cardio now that I’m in my (early) 50’s.

I do almost all cardio at this point. I want to do more weights but it's tough. I've had a lot of small injuries over the years. I can't run anymore. And I have to be careful lifting. So, I do a lot of cardio. I love the stair climber but will do other things. I used to do things like box jumps but even those are not great on my back.

I want to start doing some lifting again starting the new year. That will really impress the ladies in spandex as probably all of them will be able to out-lift me for a while. Given my history with back issues, and some other joint stuff, I will have to start very light and build back up.

At this point, my best feature is I still have all my hair, and it retains a lot of its original brown color. So, there's that.

Crowbar

Postby Crowbar » Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:56 pm

Sorry if I missed this somewhere.

I am thankful for THON. Over $10 million dollars raised this year. Kudos to all those involved in that very important and very worthy cause. Penn State's culture at its finest.

WE ARE!
41-33.

Carl Spackler

Postby Carl Spackler » Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:14 pm

I sorry for your loss B&W. I understand, it is tough.

I'm thankful for things I've been thankful for in the past. My amazing wife who takes care of me and works full time, plus.

I'm thankful for two successful children, both leaders who will end up more successful than mom and dad. I think that is great but was raised in a valley where that success level emoted jealousy and occasional rage.

I'm thankful for friends, many seen at funerals recently, who came just to see me. Surprising and comforting. Your true friends show up, even forty or more years since you saw them last and you pick up right where you left off, in comfort because they were always your friend no matter how long its been.

I'm thankful for old movies that I can enjoy. So many out there and so little time to see them all, just watched For Whom The Bell Tolls, really enjoy Gary Cooper, Alan Ladd, Van Hefflin, and so many more. Saw The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance again, never tire of that movie, nor Sgt. York, Mrs. Minniver, How the West was Won and many more obscure one's I'm sure no one here has ever viewed.

I'm thankful for healthy grandchildren we can enjoy. Hope we remain healthy enough to retire back to PA and see them more.

I'm thankful for the health I have. I'll never enter a gym like many here do and I'm happy to still be able to mow the lawn and maintain the tractor so far but the day is coming that I'll be sending that work out to a shop to perform.

I'm thankful to be able to see the sunsets. Still be able to travel at times and see sights I've always wanted to see. Still have LIttle Bighorn and Glacier In MT for special reasons so on our 50th anniversary, in 2026 we must be at Little Bighorn for its 150th anniversary of the last stand and the multiple tribes greatest victory. Americans won and lost on that day. The losers lost it all but the winners never won again. Therefore we need to celebrate all our victories as one of them will be our last.

I'm thankful for having a pretty good life. Better than most around the world. I'm thankful God placed me in a small community in Western PA where solid values were instilled in me and my wife. Values that have stuck with us and by observation - successfully instilled in our children and hopefully in our grandchildren. Those who do not have adult children yet will be surprised to hear yourself in their voices some day, good or bad, it all comes full circle back to you.

I'm thankful to live in such a beautiful home on a beautiful property. That is an opinion but so is everything else typed above, and above and above.

I'm not familiar with Yogurt pants but they sound messy. I'll have to guggle that and see what all the fuss & bother is about. As for your muscular, toned women, you can keep them. I like a woman that looks like a woman, nice and curvy in all the right places, soft to the touch. Not hard and stick like. To each their own. That is why there is diversity. ;)
So I got that going for me...which is nice. It's a cross between Kentucky Bluegrass, Featherbed Bent and Northern California Sensimilla so you can play 36 holes on it,take it home at night and get stoned to the begesses belt

PittGradPSUMad

Postby PittGradPSUMad » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:22 am

Just watched For Whom the Bell Tolls on TMC....a great movie and one of my favorite Gary Cooper films. It is also the only Hemingway novel that translated succesdfully to the silver screen. It was true to the novel and the only film that Hemingway was pleased with.
Yeah, well, that's like your opinion, man.

Crowbar

Postby Crowbar » Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:13 am

It's also a great Metallica song!
41-33.

Shane

Postby Shane » Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:20 am

Crowbar wrote:It's also a great Metallica song!

That it is!!!