Politics

Blue&White

Re: Politics

Postby Blue&White » Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:50 pm

Sure. I'm the same way. I want them having as little a possible about me. I just know, in the back of my head, that ship has sailed, hit an iceberg and sank with all hands on board.
Alex Cora sucks. Mickey Callaway sucks. Baseball sucks. Everything and everyone just sucks. Is it football season yet?

Carl Spackler

Postby Carl Spackler » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:51 pm

In point I agree with Bdub. Our info has been lost/stolen/hacked so often it is common knowledge on the black market. Yet, our govt. doing is dancing with some amendments and search and seizure issues, etc. I'm just as disgusted with corporate America doing what they are doing but hold the govt. to a higher standard. One they consistently miss. Oh well, on we go. Green side up.
So I got that going for me...which is nice. It's a cross between Kentucky Bluegrass, Featherbed Bent and Northern California Sensimilla so you can play 36 holes on it,take it home at night and get stoned to the begesses belt

LioninVa

Postby LioninVa » Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:54 am

So, Grower posted about the WC in the Random Thoughts thread and it got me thinking. (That may not be a good thing). Anyway, I see a lot a parallels between the tournament and world politics. While there are some blow-out games, many are much closer and quite a few end in a tie in the round robin stage. The rest of the world is fine with this; Ronaldo looked like his ten won after scoring to get the tie. Americans, in general, seem to have a need for victory. A clear winner or loser, and that isn’t always the case. As parents, the wife and I decided long ago that some battles just aren’t worth it. Better to live to fight another day, so to speak.

Politically, most of the adult nations seem to have a World Cup mentality where tomorrow is another day and a minor concession or a draw can be as good as a win in the early rounds. Or, maybe I shouldn’t think so much...

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:54 am

You're probably over-thinking this.

Ronaldo was happy because a tie is better than a loss and that game had "loss" written all over it. I guarantee you the fans of Spain weren't happy. And if they tie Iran on Wednesday, they're going to be really unhappy.
Fire Alex Cora. (On hold pending further review)

Carl Spackler

Postby Carl Spackler » Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:03 pm

You guys talkin bout futbol again? This is a football site. Akron Lion is giving you all "the eye" right now.
So I got that going for me...which is nice. It's a cross between Kentucky Bluegrass, Featherbed Bent and Northern California Sensimilla so you can play 36 holes on it,take it home at night and get stoned to the begesses belt

LioninVa

Postby LioninVa » Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:11 pm

Too funny, Carl!

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:21 pm

CNN is reporting that in a meeting with Republican leadership, Trump told them they better pass something on immigration because videos of crying babies was killing them, politically. Not him, though. Apparently he said he's so popular he could still shoot someone in public and everyone would be just spiffy with it.

Apparently some Republicans have a vivid memory of how they agreed with him on a compromised spending bill and the next day he basically threw them under the bus. And, they are a tad leery of agreeing to anything with him.

Unreal.
Alex Cora sucks. Mickey Callaway sucks. Baseball sucks. Everything and everyone just sucks. Is it football season yet?

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:27 pm

Trump told them they better pass something on immigration because videos of crying babies was killing them, politically. Not him, though.

He's probably right. He can't be hurt politically because he's not a career politician. I still doubt that he'll run for re-election.
Fire Alex Cora. (On hold pending further review)

Nat@PSU

Postby Nat@PSU » Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:58 pm

Just watched a documentary on Amazon called "The Brainwashing of My Dad". It was a woman documenting the effect of right wing media (Rush Limbaugh, Fox News, etc) on her father. It was pretty fascinating and definitely worth a watch.

If you have Amazon Prime it is free with that subscription.
- Nat

Let's Go State!!

sameoldlama

Postby sameoldlama » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:32 am

Trump's approval rating in last polls was 45%, Congress's was 19%. So basically he is right.

Trump hasn't authored any immigration law or policy and he wasn't a member of Congress when the current laws were put in place. He wasn't a part of decades of Congressional members kicking the can down the road on developing a viable immigration policy and then actually enforcing it - both parties in Congress have allowed the issue to devolve to it's current state because they were politically exploiting it which benefitted them more than doing the hard work necessary to solve the issue. Twenty five years ago Rs didn't give an Emmert about illegal immigration because business interests exploited the cheap labor. Ds screamed about it because it suppressed blue collar and union wage growth. Now that Rs have made inroads with white blue collar workers they all of sudden don't like illegal immigration and Ds can't accommodate illegal immigrants fast enough because it serves their identity politics ideology.

DHS is only enforcing laws written by Congress - we are supposed to be a nation of laws - not ones of selective enforcement. If the law is inadequate it is on Congress to change it - Obama challenged them to do it and they failed because of partisanship but the fallout wasn't as great because they largely kept the status quo. There was no consequence to inaction (unless you consider DT winning POTUS).

DT has brought consequences to the failure of Congress to have a coherent, enforceable immigration policy.

If you want to pick a villain pick "look at me" Chuck Schumer who claimed DT could end this "with the flick of a pen" - he and his fellow members of Congress have had DECADES to address this issue.
Wendall : That's very linear Sheriff
Ed Tom : Age will flatten a man Wendall