Politics

PittGradPSUMad

Re: Politics

Postby PittGradPSUMad » Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:32 pm

One a-hole resigns, another a-hole is hired to keep the swamp....well...swampy. At long last, Scott Pruitt resigned as EPA administrator today after racking up numerous ethics controversies during his short tenure. The man who would be king tweeted that Pruitt has done " an outstanding Job" at the EPA. He didn't identify who pruitt did a job on, but I believe we know the answer to that question. At the same time, the liar-in-chief hired ex-faux news exec Bill Shine as White House deputy chief of staff for communications. Shine, you might recall, left faux news in the midst of the roger ailes sexual harrassment allegations. Shine allegedly downplayed sexual harrassment and racial discrimination complaints from staffers. He should fit right in. That is all. I broke my vow to ignore the daily news cycle so it's back to radio silence.
Yeah, well, that's like your opinion, man.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:56 pm

Shine, you might recall, left faux news in the midst of the roger ailes sexual harrassment allegations.

I couldn't have told you who Bill Shine was if you threatened to shove a live tarantula down my pants. They should have hired Generoso Pope for that position. The man is a national treasure. He founded both the National Enquirer and the Weekly World News.

Mrs psu_dad: Isn't he dead?
Me: What's your point?

LioninVa

Postby LioninVa » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:02 am

I assume most of you saw the news (real or fake) this morning with POTUS in Brussels with our Allies. I think they are still our Allies, anyway. He stirred the pot blasting Germany for being dependent on Russia (go figure) and accusing the rest of not ponying up to the bar, so to speak. All at a friendly phot-op breakfast.

Well, I read a comment from former NATO Ambassador Nicholas Burns that struck me as the quote of the day. He, obviously, has more experience and knowledge, but my small time dealings in the Navy pretty much align with this:

“Frankly, it’s just infuriating to watch this happen. You cannot imagine any American president all the way back 75 years deciding to become the Critic-in-Chief of NATO. I mean, it’s Orwellian. He’s making our friends out to be our enemies and treating our enemies, like Putin, as our friends, and he’s misrepresenting the facts. There have been four straight years of budget increases by every NATO ally. The great majority of them will be at this magical 2% of gross domestic product level by 2024. All of our ability to project power in the world, in the Middle East and Afghanistan comes out of the air bases, the naval bases in Italy and Spain that the Europeans pay us for. They pay us $2.5 billion a year to keep our forces there. It would cost us more money to bring the troops home than to keep them in Europe. So what is the point of this? It’s all about politics, and the president’s base, not about the power of the United States. This incredible alliance that we’ve built, every president from Truman, it’s infuriating to see this happen. It’s diplomatic malpractice.”

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:55 am

and he’s misrepresenting the facts.

That's the amazing part of this. Just before going over to Europe for these meetings he tweeted or commented about how the US covers 99% of the cost or something like that. But, none of that is true. He's going on and on about things that are just not based in reality. And, the idea that the EU And NATO were formed to screw the US is preposterous.

I don't even get what the end game is here.
Is it baseball season yet?

LioninVa

Postby LioninVa » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:11 am

I have no idea what the end game might be, assuming there is one.

What shocks me the most, aside from the comments from POTUS, is how FOXNews basically cheers him on regardless of the message. I realize there are a few voices there (more recently) that are somewhat based in common sense, but the clowns in the morning couldn't get enough of this act in Brussels today. It wasn't too long ago that the GOP was in favor of strong defense and military support for our allies. Not that I am equating my fathers GOP with the Cult of Trump...

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:33 am

My Christmas shopping this year is going to take me two seconds. I just need people's hat sizes.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:14 pm

I think Robert Mueller needs to investigate the influence the Russians are trying to exert on NF.com.

PittGradPSUMad

Postby PittGradPSUMad » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:36 pm

psu_dad wrote:My Christmas shopping this year is going to take me two seconds. I just need people's hat sizes.

I'll be needing two of those hats.
Yeah, well, that's like your opinion, man.

Crowbar

Postby Crowbar » Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:08 am

He's probably going to win again. The Dems will figure out a way to screw it up.
41-33.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:46 am

Taking out an incumbent president isn't easy and it's rarely happens because of anything the challenging nominee does. It's almost always because of something that happens on the incumbentant's watch, and that "something" is usually some sort of economic collapse. GH Bush was a 1 term president and the economy collapsed on his watch. Carter was a one term president and you had the gas crises. The Iranian Hostage situation didn't help but if the economy had been strong I don't know that would have mattered. Ford was a 1 term president (almost) but he took office following Nixon's resignation and then he pardonened him. Tough to say if the pardon was what killed him or if it was just the general stench of the whole Watergate affair but I still consider those some extenuating circumstances.

If the economy is humming along come November 2020, Trump will get 4 more years. If it's not, then he won't. I think it's really that simple.
Is it baseball season yet?