Politics

sameoldlama

Re: Politics

Postby sameoldlama » Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:38 am

Donald Trump swings at pitches being thrown by someone in the bullpen. I understand his need for feeling he needs to counter an openly hostile media and mainstream political body (notice how little attention Strzok's firing for bias received - you remember the guy who helped tank the HRC investigation and initiated the Russian collusion investigation) but he his strategic selectivity in this regard is lacking.

On a lighter note - if anyone recalls me posting about the esteemed former mayor of Allentown who was convicted on 47 counts related to accepting bribes for city contracts - well he's now done something quintessentially social media age. He's started a GoFundMe page to cover his legal expenses. Here are some of the highlights:

1. He had his wife post page - I guess he has too much pride to beg for money - he'd prefer to steal it
2. The initial plea is for $8K to cover their lawyer's hotel bills which they put on credit cards (how politically budgetarily metaphoric is that)
3. The post notes her husband "recently lost his job" and that is what has led to the financial hardship - and she only works part time
4. If they surpass the $8K - keep giving - they can use that to actually pay their second lawyer his fees
5. Oh even better - since GoFundMe takes a cut if you want to reach out to her personally and send he the money directly so they can avoid the GoFundMe cut that would be super (yes they really did this right on the GoFundMe page)
6. And if you do reach out to her - just so you know - the non taxable gift limit on cash you can give them as a gift is something like $13.9K - so you can give them that much and they won't have to pay any taxes on it - it's all for them!
7. Oh yeah, Ed's totally innocent - so start saving up your dough for that appeal
Wendall : That's very linear Sheriff
Ed Tom : Age will flatten a man Wendall

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:47 am

I'd like to retire early. I wonder if I can start a GoFundMe campaign to fund my early retirement? Well, more accurately, I wonder if I can successfully start one that actually funds my early retirement? Obviously starting one is easy.

Two other thoughts: first, I thought the Strzok firing was reasonable covered. All the networks covered it and it was in all major newspapers. I'm not sure what else was supposed to happen there. Second, anyone see how the entire West Virginia State Supreme Court is being impeached?
Is it baseball season yet?

sameoldlama

Postby sameoldlama » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:25 am

If you want to engender sympathy for your GoFundMe page mention being a Mets fan, commuting into NYC in a work uniform (yes a suit is a work uniform) not suitable for weather conditions and never ending battles with Russian hackers.
Wendall : That's very linear Sheriff
Ed Tom : Age will flatten a man Wendall

Crowbar

Postby Crowbar » Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:25 pm

Andrew Cuomo just said America was never that great. Good job you dumb ass left wing liberal looney bird.

Why can't there just be a third party dedicated to centrist America?
41-33.

LioninVa

Postby LioninVa » Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:30 pm

I have been saying that for years, Crowbar. A viable centrist or moderate party would be huge.

On another note, Trump revoked Brennan’s security clearance. I’m sure there was due cause and this isn’t a diversion from anything else...

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:51 pm

I don't care that Brennan lost his clearance. As I said previously, I had no idea that former officials kept their clearance once they left their post and was very surprised to learn that they generally did. I thought clearance was for people with a need-to-know. Once you are no longer in that job, why do you need to know? Just stuck me as odd, but apparently it's perfectly normal.

What I did find hilarious about this entire thing is the statement about Brennan the White House released. Apparently they are concerned about his "erratic behavior" and the fact that he has made " series of unfounded and outrageous allegations – wild outbursts on the internet and television – about this Administration."

Yep, that's what it actually said. That's some good ole fashioned irony, right there.

LioninVa

Postby LioninVa » Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:26 am

The word irony doesn't even scratch the surface, in my opinion.

I understood the question regarding no longer being in a position to need to know. Something I learned today as the talking heads were discussing this development is that, at least in previous administrations, these guys would talk to each other especially to the cat who held the same position in the previous administration, to get a feel for the thought and decision making processes before making recommendations or taking action. I heard Clapper, I think, say that he talked with others regularly, so I suppose that is one reason they maintain a clearance.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:32 am

I dont' think there is any question that this was petty and vindictive but it's Trump's perogative. And, I doubt they are talking to Brennan much given his criticisms of the administration and everything they do. So, there is probably no legitimate reason to keep his clearance. I just thought the explanation was hilarious.

Nat@PSU

Postby Nat@PSU » Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:48 pm

Honestly, it seems fairly logical that these people would retain clearances to serve as resources for people in the current roles. I know we are in a hyper partisan era but the idea that National security people could call on their predecessors for info/advice/context seems both useful and appropriate.

This move from Trump further demonstrates how petty and vindicitive he is and I'd imagine does NOTHING to help.improve our National Security. Further proves he is FOS with regards to his "concern" for our Nation's safety. He is, always had been, and always will be preoccupied with one thing and one thing only: himself.

This administration's characterization of Brennan is laughable. We have handed to keys to the Ferrari to a petulant toddler of a man. He is a disgrace to our country and will be viewed as such by history. Can't wait until 2020 when someone, ANYONE other than this dolt occupies the oval office and the national disgrace that is this presidency comes to an end.
- Nat

Let's Go State!!

PittGradPSUMad

Postby PittGradPSUMad » Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:51 am

"Truth isn't the truth."
Rudy Giuliani, Legal Counsel to the Liar-in-Chief

"What you're seeing and what your reading is not what's happening."
Donald Trump, Liar-in-Chief

I reread George Orwell's 1984 last year. I don't recommend it unless you're in the mood to be truly disturbed by the corrallary to today's events.
Yeah, well, that's like your opinion, man.