Politics

Blue&White

Re: Politics

Postby Blue&White » Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:57 pm

It sounds like they have been pushed into areas where they can work for cash and the ability to get jobs with traditional employers has dried up.
Alex Cora sucks. Mickey Callaway sucks. Baseball sucks. Everything and everyone just sucks. Is it football season yet?

Crowbar

Postby Crowbar » Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:08 pm

Blue&White wrote:I thought, under the Bush administration, there was a wholesale change in how hiring was done. Employers are now required to get proof of residency or citizenship with I9s and what not. The days of hotels being able to outsource their cleaning crews and turn a blind eye to the number of illegals cleaning their room were, I thought, over. I'm sure the enforcement rate is not 100%, but I had the impression that a lot of that was improved. Is that not the case?

I'm not making a point. I honestly don't know. I thought a lot of this was being enforced now.

It may be the law on the books. But I can tell you it's not enforced very well. My brother worked at a restaurant recently and he said every night a car driven by an unknown individual would sneak a group of people from Central America into the restaurant where they would do dishes and other menial jobs. None of them spoke English. And they were all very hush. They would get paid under the table and get a ride out of their in the same car. This is one restaurant. Imagine how many thousands of other businesses are doing the same.

To me this is truly why not much will be done about illegal immigration. Demorats see them as a human rights issue. Repugnants see them as a source of cheap labor.
41-33.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:17 pm

I guess it makes sense they would be driven into cash jobs like that. Large corporations are no longer employing them, but clearly there are others who are.

I wonder if it's because they work that much cheaper or because it's the only help these businesses can find. Probably some of both.
Alex Cora sucks. Mickey Callaway sucks. Baseball sucks. Everything and everyone just sucks. Is it football season yet?

Carl Spackler

Postby Carl Spackler » Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:21 pm

Blue&White wrote:I thought, under the Bush administration, there was a wholesale change in how hiring was done. Employers are now required to get proof of residency or citizenship with I9s and what not. The days of hotels being able to outsource their cleaning crews and turn a blind eye to the number of illegals cleaning their room were, I thought, over. I'm sure the enforcement rate is not 100%, but I had the impression that a lot of that was improved. Is that not the case?

I'm not making a point. I honestly don't know. I thought a lot of this was being enforced now.

BW, I had to do that for entry level staff just as it was required for my hire, all through the 1990's. I-9's, Licenses, SS#, etc. all demanded by my employer although they had many govt. contracts and possibly that drove all the required docs. for a new hire.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:39 pm

Good news for Nat and Grower

Sure, they lost the $400 tax deduction they had for having to spend their own money for teaching supplies. I mean, tax cuts for the rich aren't going to pay for themselves, right? Someone needs to chip in for that. But, on the plus side, they can now get a bonus for learning how to use a firearm and shooting people while at work.

What a great time it is to be alive! Unless, of course, you run across the wrong angry person carrying an AR 15.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:09 am

Don'''t worry about Nat and Grower. Your children will be paying for our deficit spending. And $400 will seem like peanuts when that happens.
Fire Alex Cora. (On hold pending further review)

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:43 am

Well, maybe they'll get lucky and killed in a school shooting so they can avoid all that debt.

Crowbar

Postby Crowbar » Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:25 am

I can only shake my head in disbelief when I hear talk about arming teachers. I mean, Holy Jesus. What could possibly go wrong with arming teachers? WTF??? Don't people think before coming up with "solutions" like this?
41-33.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:34 am

When Reagan was shot he was surrounded by armed Secret Service agents. This mistake was they didn't have a bunch of math teachers around him.

Shore Lion

Postby Shore Lion » Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:51 am

Apparently the "good guy with a guy" idea only works insofar as the "good guy with a gun" isn't a complete fucking coward. That guy should just kill himself. To not do anything as a trained police officer is just amazing to me. But hey, our scores of armed teachers will do better right?