Politics

Blue&White

Re: Politics

Postby Blue&White » Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:33 pm

Trump declares April 'Sexual Assault Awareness' month

"Sexual assault crimes remain tragically common in our society, and offenders too often evade accountability," said a proclamation from Trump released by the White House. "These heinous crimes are committed indiscriminately: in intimate relationships, in public spaces, and in the workplace."

"Too often, however, the victims of assault remain silent. They may fear retribution from their offender, lack faith in the justice system, or have difficulty confronting the pain associated with the traumatic experience," it continued.

"My administration is committed to raising awareness about sexual assault and to empowering victims to identify perpetrators so that they can be held accountable."

:o

Words - I have none. Other than "I can't believe that wasn't published in The Onion"
Is it baseball season yet?

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:25 pm

April has been SAAM for 18 years. If his administration acknowledges it with an announcement, he'll get killed. If they don't acknowledge it, he'll get killed.

He's a knucklehead, but this is a lose/lose proposition for him.
Klaatu barada nikto

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:24 pm

I agree but 2 points:

1. Who's fault is it that it's "lose-lose" for him; and

2. You can't tell me that's not funny.

LioninVa

Postby LioninVa » Sun Apr 01, 2018 5:59 am

The Navy recognizes these various mints each year and puts out a memo every November or so for the next year. I somehow he would react to this one when I read it. I agree that it's a lose-lose for Trump this month, but B-Dub is correct that it's his own fan fault.

On another note, Sinclair Broadcasting is forcing their local anchors to read a bit on fake news. The same text in each market with a minor change to make it sound local. I find this ironic, if not hypocritical.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:06 am

Speaking of which, By proclamation, May has been designated as Help Psu_Dad WIth His Yardwork Month (HPWHYM). This year's theme is: "Hey. I only have two hands, you know."

Mrs psu_dad: Who proclaimed that?
Me: I did.
Klaatu barada nikto

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:47 am

Trump apparently proposed hosting Putin at the White House.

sameoldlama

Postby sameoldlama » Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:08 am

If you live in PA and make Internet purchases getting ready to cough up PA sales tax - and if the seller doesn't collect it make sure you self report and pay .... and not courtesy of DT but your good representatives of the Commonwealth.

Unlike the DT personal vendetta / Amazon thing you can chalk this up to the we can't control our spending and have a massive public pension liability so we need to slap a tax on everything people say, do or even think category.
Wendall : That's very linear Sheriff
Ed Tom : Age will flatten a man Wendall

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:21 am

Unless I'm mistaken, this isn't a tax on what you do, say, or think. It's just the same sales tax that has existed for decades but applied to Internet purchases.

Not charging sales tax on Internet sales has killed states with due to lost revenue. I'm not bothered by this and am shocked it took this long. They should have online vendors add it rather than self assess, as that is a sure fire way to ensure lack of compliance.

Shore Lion

Postby Shore Lion » Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:34 am

Agreed, this is not a "new" tax per se. In most states we've been paying sales tax for a very long time. The rather sudden drop in revenues from the explosion of online purchases has to be made up somewhere.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:44 am

Not charging sales tax on Internet sales has killed states with due to lost revenue.

Gee ... and all this time I thought what was killing them was spending money like a drunken sailor on shore leave. Go figure.

Amazon has been collecting MA sales tax for years. I saw an announcement that starting 1 April, they'll be collecting it for PA. Why it took so long, I don't know. Probably a delay on the PA end. If there's one area where MA government has its act together, it's collecting taxes.
Klaatu barada nikto