Politics

Blue&White

Re: Politics

Postby Blue&White » Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:21 pm

Well, right now NJ is a net-giver to the federal coffers. They have their problems, no doubt, but most of them are masked by the ridiculously high cost of living. People just accept the taxes more than they would in some other areas. But, there is no doubt they have their long term issues to deal with. All the states do.

As for Murphy, near as I could tell his primary campaign point was he wasn't the former Lt. Governor for Chris Christie. I'm sure he made the usual BS promises about lower taxes, more services, and everyone gets a unicorn. I doubt anyone even listens anymore. The main issue was that he a) isn't Chris Christie and b) opposes Donald Trump. And, I think a far outweighed b in NJ (although exit polls have me rethinking that slightly).

The fact is it's no picnic no matter who wins. NJ is an expensive state to live in. That means people who work for the state need to earn enough money to actually live there, and that is a big part of your cost driver. There is little way around that. You can cut services and what not to a point, but the state has loads of obligations. And, even under Obama I believe the share of money the federal government has given to the states was reduced, so states like NJ had to make up the delta.

I seriously doubt that Murphy is going to have any more negative economic impact than Christie did. If he really raises taxes on corporations again perhaps they lose some more jobs, and that would be bad, but there are a lot of industries firmly entrenched in NJ and they have gotten massive tax breaks from both parties for decades. I doubt that is changing any time soon. NJ will be fine and carry on as it always has, with high taxes, a high cost of living, massive political corruption and an attitude that makes southerners and Midwesterners cringe.

sameoldlama

Postby sameoldlama » Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:45 pm

If Jesus had been Christie's LG he would have not been able to escape the stink CC left behind - CC basically devoted himself to being an arrogant jerk the last 18 months of his tenure. Murphy promised free everything at the expense of "the rich" and corporations - he basically played the "you get stuff and rich people and corporations will pay for it".

It might take bankruptcy for NJ to address its massive corruption issues. Short term I see the sanctuary state status being a bigger issue - Cali doesn't advertise it but their public services are beyond distressed. You can't toss millions of undocumented people and allow them access to public services (education, health care, housing) and not expect it to have consequences.

LioninVa

Postby LioninVa » Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:34 pm

Having lived through the VA race, i believe it was something the GOP needs to look at. The Dem nominee is from the eastern shore, an Army doctor and a well respected pediatrician who carried most of the Hampton Roads area. He ran a mostly positive campaign without really divulging plans for the future. The GOP nominee has been a standard bearer for them. His campaign was much more negative as I see it. He also was short on ideas as far as I could tell, in his ads.

While I am not holding my breath, I would love to see a candidate tell me why I should vote for them rather than why I shouldn’t vote for the other...

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:55 pm

Woman says Roy Moore initiated sexual encounter when she was 14, he was 32

Per this story, there are other women coming forward who ranged in ages from 16 to 18, but only the first woman is claiming inappropriate sexual conduct. But, she was 14. Things aren't looking good for Judge Roy.

I wouldn't be surprised if he starts crying "fake news!" and blames the Democrats for making this up, but if anyone made it up I'm inclined to think it is his fellow Republicans. From what I've read, they don't like him and think he's a nut. And in (extremely) early polling, he has a slight lead on the Democratic candidate, well within the margin of error. That has to concern the GOP. I seriously doubt that Alabama is voting a Democrat into the Senate next November but that it's even plausible at this point has to concern them. So, my guess is they want him out of there. Mitch McConnell already said he should step out "if it's true". But, how do you prove it? It's his word against this woman's. The problem is it will keep getting talked about.

We live in interesting times, gentlemen. But, if it means that men who used their office and position to sexually prey upon people they had power over will now be held accountable, I'd call them better times.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:09 pm

A politician who is a douchebag. Pretty rare. Most of them are sweethearts.

Gloria Thacker Deason says she was an 18-year-old cheerleader when Moore began taking her on dates that included bottles of Mateus Rosé wine.

Mateus. Man, that takes me back. The 70s rocked.

The wine takes me back. Not the pervert stuff.

Carl Spackler

Postby Carl Spackler » Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:59 pm

Boone's Farm baby, screw top and all. Pick your flavor.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:08 pm

The worst hangover of my entire life (not that I've had many) was from consuming an entire bottle of Boone's Farm Apple Wine when I was in college. Fortunately it was on a Friday night, because I could barely function the next day.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:27 am

I didn't realize the Alabama special election was December 12. Maybe the Republicans have a bigger issue than I originally thought. I'd still be shocked if the state voted for a Democrat but the other option is a man now accused of being a pedophile. And, the WaPo story isn't a bunch of anonymous sources. These women put their names out into the public domain. Hard to just dismiss it as a partisan attack.

We'll see, I guess.

Carl Spackler

Postby Carl Spackler » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:44 am

Blue&White wrote:I didn't realize the Alabama special election was December 12. Maybe the Republicans have a bigger issue than I originally thought. I'd still be shocked if the state voted for a Democrat but the other option is a man now accused of being a pedophile. And, the WaPo story isn't a bunch of anonymous sources. These women put their names out into the public domain. Hard to just dismiss it as a partisan attack.

We'll see, I guess.

It has to be take seriously but given the election is only one month away (October surprise time) and the accusations are from decades ago I'd like to know the truth which we won't prior to the election or probably never. If true, it trial time, it false or overplayed, they go their merry way and his name is sullied forever. That is what happens to men accused, guilty until proven innocent.

AND

To move this to the Hollywood abuse EPIDEMIC I know that my son in his acting career days was propositioned in a homosexual manner to gain parts. He walked away but he didn't get parts either and knows that the parts went to those who played along. It's both sexes and while that may not be exposed it happens all the time. We live in a sad society right now. Power begets abuse.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:50 am

I suspect the statute of limitations has run on Moore. But, he's accused of being a pedophile. You think these 4 women are lying? I don't. And, while I agree that he's innocent until proven guilty, that's a legal standard applied to putting you in jail. There is a much lower standard for you to run for office, or at least there should be. The woman who was 14 has had much of her account backed up by other people she told at the time. I can't believe there is serious doubt that Moore molested her. Even some of the people defending him are claiming it wasn't immoral because the bible states Mary was a teenager when she married Joseph. That doesn't sound like a defense based on denial of the accusations.

As for Hollywood, I suspect when all is said and done we are going to find out that Washington and politics in general isn't much better. There have been a number of scandals over the years of elected officials sexually abusing or harassing their staff. Dennis Hastert turned out to be a pedophile. I'm sure there are others. Both institutions seem to be deprived of any moral center.

Btw, you want to see an example of a man who's name is being sullied, I give you Luis CK. The accusations against him are that he's really creepy and inappropriate. But, none of the accusers are saying he raped them, forced himself on them, or harassed them at work. Asking a co-worker out who you have no power over is not workplace sexual harassment. It may be inappropriate behavior, but it's not legally actionable (although it could get you fired if you're an at-will employee). So, Louis CK is a creep. But, blasting that all over the news without any kind of real criminal accusation seemed really unfair to me. I never masturbated in front of a woman to try to get her to go out with me (the thought never would have occurred to me), but I'm sure back in my 20s I propositioned women in ways I wouldn't want brought up into the public now that I'm almost 50. That, to me, seemed really unfair. It's a feeding frenzy environment and I think the media needs to be careful what they are throwing out into the public. Some of this is BS. What is made public should be limited to actual criminal accusations.