Politics

psu_dad

Re: Politics

Postby psu_dad » Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:54 pm

Kinda reminds me of the famous Billy Martin pine tar incident. Martin knew George Brett's bat was illegal and just waited for the best moment to bring it to the umpire's attention.

And there's No Way on God's Green Earth the WaPo would have invested 5 minutes on this if Moore were still an obscure (outside of Alabama) judge.

< ring ... ring ... ring >

WAPO: Washington Post. May I help you?
INFORMANT: I have some dirt on a former judge from Alabama.
WAPO: Sorry, We don't give a rat's ass about Alabama.
INFORMANT: He's running for the U.S. Senate as a Republican.
WAPO: Hold please.

Crowbar

Postby Crowbar » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:15 pm

Blue&White wrote:People can forgive a lot of things and pretend a lot of things didn't happen when they want to believe in a candidate on "their" side. We've seen that But, molesting teenage girls seems to be where the line is drawn.

Thank God society still has a little bit of a conscience.

Carl Spackler

Postby Carl Spackler » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:17 am

psu_dad wrote:Kinda reminds me of the famous Billy Martin pine tar incident. Martin knew George Brett's bat was illegal and just waited for the best moment to bring it to the umpire's attention.

And there's No Way on God's Green Earth the WaPo would have invested 5 minutes on this if Moore were still an obscure (outside of Alabama) judge.

< ring ... ring ... ring >

WAPO: Washington Post. May I help you?
INFORMANT: I have some dirt on a former judge from Alabama.
WAPO: Sorry, We don't give a rat's ass about Alabama.
INFORMANT: He's running for the U.S. Senate as a Republican.
WAPO: Hold please.

dad, say it ain't so! My faith in the liberal msm has taken a body slam. You aren't suggesting that the WaPo is an agenda driven "news" source?

Not that the Judge is innocent, allegations surrounded the Pres. about Russia but none have been proven as more than political sourced hit pieces yet the hits keep coming and will as long as there are politics in the air.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:31 am

Unfortunately, pretty much all "news" sources are agenda driven these days. Except for the National Enquirer, of course.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:52 am

Speaking of agendas, I'm trying to figure out why I should be outraged that Trump Jr. talked to wikileaks. The story, as I understand it (I have not paid a ton of attention) is that they reached out to him via some messenger function on twitter. I haven't read what the correspondence was (he's made it all public) because I don't yet get why I should care.

So, what am I missing here?

Also, I saw that the Justice Department may run a special counsel to investigate the Uranium One deal and the DNC stuff. I am all for this. Personally, I doubt there is any provable link that Clinton did anything illegal on the uranium deal, but there is as much public evidence about that as there is on the Russian collusion stuff. And, maybe an investigation will prove me wrong. I'm all for finding out.

The DNC thing is where I think there is real fire with the smoke. Some of the Donna Brazil allegations seem, to me at least, to equate to fraud in their fundraising. If they had people donating to what they thought was the DNC to help all Democratic candidates and that money was funneled to the Clinton campaign, that sure sounds like fraud to me. But, sure, let's have a special counsel. Let's have one for everyone in DC for all I care.

PittGradPSUMad

Postby PittGradPSUMad » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:57 am

It's agenda driven when our guy takes the hit, but it's breaking news...a blockbuster...when it's their guy. We are through the looking glass, folks. Up is down, ignorance is strength, blah, blah, etc, etc. I'm already sorry I came in from the cold. Back to radio silence.
Yeah, well, that's like your opinion, man.

sameoldlama

Postby sameoldlama » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:01 am

Just been too much in this arena to even try and comment on

Can I believe Roy Moore is just another sanctimonious self righteous jerk who preaches one thing and does another - absolutely.
Can I believe Gloria Allred would drag out a BS claim just for hype, publicity, shakedown and political reasons - absolutely
Do I think we will find out the truth - not a chance.

I've been going to a rural area in Tennessee since the mid 80s for work and can tell you this - back in the 80s in the small towns if a girl didn't go to college and she wasn't married by 20 she was in a panic. If she went to college and wasn't married by 24 she was an old maid. That was just the mindset. If a 30 year old guy in a small rural area actually "courted" a mid to late teen girl with the intent of marriage it wouldn't have been frowned upon. Now if a 30 year old guy was just going around banging all the town's daughters I would say a group of town Dads and brothers would have taken him out in the woods and given him an ass whupping. But it would not have been a police matter - so that's how this could have happened with no involvement of any law authorities.

Anyone see report half a dozen women have accused former POTUS Bush of groping them - that would be the elder. The California NAACP wants the National Anthem dropped because it's racist - I think your bowl of Cheerios is next on list.

Surprised no one commented on Donna Brazille basically confirming the DNC was a wholly owned subsidiary of the Clinton Foundation in addition to evidence showing FBI investigation into her server was for show only - fix was in and she was taking bribes from Russia on uranium deals and laundering money. I've said plenty of times - yes DT can be a complete, immature, infuriating ass - but HRC was possibly the most corrupt politician of my lifetime. Scary to think the damage she'd be doing with the criminal infrastructure she had in place.

The whole Hollywood sex scandal is a sad sordid mess also. I do believe there have been many women, men and children who by the legal definition were sexually assaulted. Unfortunately their stories are getting drowned out in every self absorbed celebrity trying to insert themselves into the narrative by "praising" people coming forward or telling non-stories of encounters where nothing happened other than "they felt uncomfortable". AS B&W remarked - there is so much BS out there that fatigue sets in and the real victims are left without getting due justice.

I think it was Carl who remarked "power begets abuse" - I would add wealth and fame to power. And when someone wields all three watch out. These people become devoid of their actions having consequences or being bound by societal rules or norms. And when they attempt to deflect accountability from their behavior and project it onto society at large by pretending the issues are "widespread throughout our society" I'd like to say "Barack You". Aside from the moral and ethical aspects there is a reason us common folk aren't a bunch of narcissistic, drug addled sexual deviants - because we are not excessively wealthy, powerful or famous we all understand our actions have consequences. Everyone of us knows we can't pull our pud out in front of a work colleague (or anywhere in public for that matter) and start enjoying ourselves without having the shortest "You're fired" meeting with HR 30 seconds later. And we kind of need our jobs because we don't make enough money of a single movie or TV series to set us up for life. We all realize we can't command top dollar for our work while our employer tolerates a substance abuse issue which makes us a nightmare to deal with. We actually get that we have to live by rules.

While I'd like to enjoy the elite eating each other and burning down their paradise I know the BS will filter down to us somehow - it always does. Somehow in the last few years we've managed to kill comedy - every joke offends someone and now we have turned sex into a political statement and are well on our way to killing that too. I agree with B&W's comment - if I looked back at college parties and when I was running around the bars by the HW accuser standard I'd be in the town square being hung because I either asked out a girl who was out of my league, looked at girl wrong, or told a girl she was hot thinking it was a compliment and not harassment.
Generally men initiate the physical aspect of relationships with women - you tried to read the verbal and non-verbal cues before you made your move and sometimes you got rebuffed because the girl wasn't ready yet. Nobody considered it an assault and generally you kept dating and may have eventually ended up being physical. Now I guess a guy better get clear verbal acknowledgement and a signed consent form. May even need a notary or lawyer present.

PittGradPSUMad

Postby PittGradPSUMad » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:14 am

Blue&White wrote:Speaking of agendas, I'm trying to figure out why I should be outraged that Trump Jr. talked to wikileaks. The story, as I understand it (I have not paid a ton of attention) is that they reached out to him via some messenger function on twitter. I haven't read what the correspondence was (he's made it all public) because I don't yet get why I should care.

So, what am I missing here?

What you're missing, I believe, is the alleged connection between wikileaks/Julian Assange and the Russians who allegedly hacked DNC/Podesta/Clinton emails, gave them to Assange who then timed their slow-drip, daily release to tilt the election to hiz honor, Donald of orange. Fredo trump had email contact with wikileaks/assange. Conventional wisdom holds that Fredo should have contacted the FBI about interference by "enemies of the state" instead of licking his chops and shooting emails to all manner of trump campaign officials about having the goods on HRC. As for the DOJ appointing a special counsel to investigate the Uranium One deal along with HRC and the dems in general....yep, that's what we need....another three-year, multi-million dollar repeat of the Benghazi hearings which were entirely political in nature with one purpose in mind....to destroy HRC and nothing else. Truth?....find the truth?....completely irrelevant.
Yeah, well, that's like your opinion, man.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:50 am

It's agenda driven when our guy takes the hit, but it's breaking news...a blockbuster...when it's their guy.

That's why it's ALL agenda-driven to me. I don't have a "guy". They all stink on ice. You could replace everyone in the WH and Congress with chimpanzees for all I care.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:52 am

Speaking of agendas, I'm trying to figure out why I should be outraged that Trump Jr. talked to wikileaks.

When in doubt, you should always be "outraged". And "offended", too. You can't be offended often enough. It's replaced baseball as the National Past Time.