Politics

Crowbar

Re: Politics

Postby Crowbar » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:27 pm

So President Trump wants some massive military parade. My question is why? I am not sure I understand this. Maybe I'm wrong, as I don't proclaim myself an expert in these matters, but isn't this the kind of think they do in repressive countries such as North Korea and the former Soviet Union?
41-33.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:33 pm

It's not unique to dictatorships. It's also common among leaders who ate trying to compensate for something. Like, say, small hands. Or, small. ..... other things.
Alex Cora sucks. Mickey Callaway sucks. Baseball sucks. Everything and everyone just sucks. Is it football season yet?

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:07 pm

Military parades were common for a very long time. And not just on Veterans Day. The photos below are from Eisenhower's inauguration parade. Kennedy's was similar. Tanks, missiles, troops ... the whole 9 yards. It just stopped being fashionable for some reason.

Fire Alex Cora. (On hold pending further review)

LioninVa

Postby LioninVa » Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:53 am

I may be wrong, but it probably fell out of favor because of the reasons Crowbar asked. The parade for the inauguration does include military troops but not heavy equipment. These things would probably tear up the pavement.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:13 am

I believe we've not done one since the Kennedy administration. And, it looks like the desire of an authoritarian. Or someone with a complex about his small penis. But, I think the bigger issue is who's paying for this? Is it Mexico again?

Trump has signaled he's ok with a government shutdown and is unlikely to sign the deal passed by Congress. In a few weeks we have the debt ceiling getting hit and a new ceiling put in place. And, even though the Republicans just unanimously voted to add 1.5 trillion to the national debt, I can tell you how that debate is going to go. Perhaps finding new ways to spend money isn't the best idea. Beyond that, I really don't care. If he wants to have a parade, have a parade.
Alex Cora sucks. Mickey Callaway sucks. Baseball sucks. Everything and everyone just sucks. Is it football season yet?

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:37 am

I think the bigger issue is who's paying for this?

I suspect that's part of the reason such parades faded away. In the Eisenhower/Kennedy era, this country enjoyed unprecedented economic prosperity. And the federal budget hadn't yet exploded. Entitlement programs were a very small part of the federal budget and the military was able to spend like crazy. Those days are gone and not returning.

I also think there was generally more respect for the military back then. People were proud of the military's role in the liberation of Europe and the status it conferred on the U.S. as the world's power. After Viet Nam, not so much.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:11 am

I suspect the military's prestige after Nam played a roll, but I think the fact that military parades became far more synonymous with dictators and repressive regimes didn't help either. Krushev had military parades. North Korea has military parades. Free countries didn't need to show off their might. I was actually very surprised to read that Trump got this idea after seeing one in France. I didn't realize France did this kind of thing. Similar to Trump, I think they are compensating for something. Getting your ass kicked almost once a decade during the 20th century may lead to an inferiority complex.

Btw,

and the military was able to spend like crazy.

In real dollars, military spending in the 60s is nothing compared to what it is now. The amount we spend on defense is beyond stupid. There is no reason for the numbers to be where they are. Or, no rational reason that is based on our actual needs for defense. I suspect that the defense industry puts jobs in every state and donates heavily to every political candidate has a whole lot to do with it. Candidate Trump recognized this and called it out. President Trump, however, just wants to keep feeding the beast.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:21 am

military spending in the 60s is nothing compared to what it is now.

As a percentage of the GDP, it's now about half of what it was back then.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:33 am

PS - If the POTUS wants to have a tiny car parade, I'm totally on board with that.

LioninVa

Postby LioninVa » Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:55 am

The premise for the parade is to show support and gratitude for our service members, but I don't believe that. When Trump watched the one in France, he actually asked why we don't do this here. I am not surprised that he actually pushed the issue. I believe this is simply an ego stroking thing for him, much like the ones we se in dictatorships (not that I am saying we have become a third world dictatorship).

While I think this is a bad idea, it may not be the dumbest thing Trump has conceived. But he has set the bar pretty high...