Politics

Blue&White

Re: Politics

Postby Blue&White » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:10 am

He was asking for this for the inauguration too and was told it was not a great idea to parade about military might in front of an already jittery public.

In the scheme of things, this is not that big a deal. But, it's a colossal waste of money. You want to show the military appreciation, maybe give them all a bonus instead of parading around their hardware. All this is going to do is show appreciation to the merchants of death who make a fortune building all the stuff we are going to put on display.
Hire Alex Cora

Carl Spackler

Postby Carl Spackler » Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:31 am

Crowbar wrote:So President Trump wants some massive military parade. My question is why? I am not sure I understand this. Maybe I'm wrong, as I don't proclaim myself an expert in these matters, but isn't this the kind of think they do in repressive countries such as North Korea and the former Soviet Union?

He attended a French military parade and liked it so he wants to imitate it here. My problem is the potential cost involved. Of course no one in D.C. seemingly considers cost an issue for much of anything except an incremental increase in my SS.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:44 am

Actually, I read that a number of Senators and Congressmen from his own party are questioning the cost of this proposal.
Hire Alex Cora

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:18 am

All this is going to do is show appreciation to the merchants of death who make a fortune building all the stuff we are going to put on display.

They do make some pretty cool stuff, though. I brought my sons to a military air show about 20 years ago and there was a guy giving a demonstration of the F15 Eagle. It was one of the most awe-inspiring things I've ever seen in my life. You do not want to find yourself facing the business end of that sucker.

PS - I thought these guys were officially the "merchants of death".

Fire Alex Cora.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:51 am

I have not been doing as much cycling the past couple of summers, but when I'm into it I have this one route I do that is about 50 miles or so. At around the 30 mile mark there is this little deli and they sell individual packages of Swiss Rolls. I used to hop off the bike at that deli, refill my water, get some Gatorade and a package of Swiss Rolls (for energy, of course) and continue on my merry way.

One time the guy working the counter tried to persuade me to get a power bar instead. Screw him and his power bar. I was eating my Swiss Roll.
Hire Alex Cora

Shore Lion

Postby Shore Lion » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:15 am

Power bar? What a dick!

Nat@PSU

Postby Nat@PSU » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:33 am

When speaking to the press about this, California Republican John Kennedy responded with:

“I don’t think it is a particularly good idea. Confidence is silent and insecurities are loud. When you are the most powerful nation in all of human history, you don’t have to show it off like Russia does and North Korea and China.”

This has nothing to do with "honoring the military." You want to honor the military and it's members? Work to improve VA benefits. Work to help the thousands of homeless veterans. Give every service member $.10 (or whatever the cost of this parade is divided by the # of service members). Literally anything would recognize and honor our military more appropriately than parading our hardware down the streets of our capital while "Cadet Bonespurs" stands proudly over it.

This is some banana republic stuff . . .
- Nat

Let's Go State!!

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:38 am

While we're on the subject, some knucklehead who was scarfing down Nutty Bars in his car tossed the empty carton onto the edge of my lawn. I placed it in the recycle bin in the garage. When my wife saw the carton, nothing short of a lie detector test was going to convince her I was telling the truth.

ME: I put the carton right on top. Why would I do that if I were eating them on the sly?
HER: To make it look like you weren't eating them on the sly.
Fire Alex Cora.

sameoldlama

Postby sameoldlama » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:50 am

I'd tend to agree that holding a parade should take a back seat until you've really made some progress on the issues existing in Veterans Services and you are doing everything feasible to ensure their ability to be successful where they are in combat zones. But quietly improving day to day, mundane and repetitive aspects of life don't grab headlines and bring attention to a politician quite like a big, flashy parade.

I have no issues publicly recognizing the military and there are ample opportunities to do this without rolling tanks down the street.

But DT isn't doing this for the people of nf.com or even vets - he's primarily doing it to appeal to his base and - like every politician ever - he is seeking to attach himself to a person /entity that is beloved / highly respected in order to garner unearned goodwill. This pretty much makes like every politician / celebrity ever (how many politicians and celebs became lifelong die hard Eagles fans in the last month).
Wendall : That's very linear Sheriff
Ed Tom : Age will flatten a man Wendall

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:57 am

I'm not sure he even gave it that much thought. I think ideas just roll out of his "brain" onto his tongue as if his head were a gum ball machine. Presumably, he'll eventually be convinced to drop this. Or he'll get stonewalled by the people whose cooperation he needs to pull this off.
Fire Alex Cora.