Politics

PSUgrower

Re: Politics

Postby PSUgrower » Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:13 pm

Nat@PSU wrote:I don't disagree with much of what has been said, but I think the primary context for much of what we have seen in the news is that of power. Many of these accusations are levied at men in positions of power, particularly over the women who are accusing them of misconduct. That to me is the primary differentiation.

If you're at a bar and I drunkenly cross a line with a woman, well, you're a drunk creep who is acting out of bounds. But if you do the same thing to a woman within your sphere of power and influence professionally, then that is a different animal in my opinion. The unspoken message there is, at least to a certain extent, "I run this domain and can do as I please and if you're offended or I'm rebuffed it may not only be a bruised ego on my end but a change in the woman's status as a result." That carries different weight and while I do understand and to a certain extent agree with the concern that in this wave of valid accusations there are some relatively innocent mean whose intents were innocuous who are being steamrolled, the dynamic shift we are seeing is both important and meaningful for women in the workplace.

As always, Nat does a lot better explaining exactly what I am thinking. This is why he teaches high school and I teach elementary :D

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:44 pm

Nat@PSU wrote:If you're at a bar and I drunkenly cross a line with a woman, well, you're a drunk creep who is acting out of bounds.

Wait. Why am I a drunk creep because you drunkenly cross a line? Just because I was there? :?
#Emmertknew

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:23 pm

I'm still trying to wrap my mind around George "Mr. Gropeyhands" Bush pinching bums from his wheelchair. I guess when you get close to the Great Dirt Nap, you figure the downside is minimal.
Fire Alex Cora.

Nat@PSU

Postby Nat@PSU » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:43 am

Blue&White wrote:
Nat@PSU wrote:If you're at a bar and I drunkenly cross a line with a woman, well, you're a drunk creep who is acting out of bounds.

Wait. Why am I a drunk creep because you drunkenly cross a line? Just because I was there? :?

No, you're a drunk creep because . . . . well, you're you. Have I been misreading your character from an internet message board for all these years? How'd that happen.

I blame psu_dad.
- Nat

Let's Go State!!

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:54 am

I'm clean. No one is going to tell any stories about me that are going to force my resignation. If anything, just the opposite. There are dozens of women who would be packing their office by close-of-business if I yapped.

Mrs psu_dad: We need to adjust your meds.
Me: I'm not taking any.
Mrs psu_dad: Then we need to get you some.
Fire Alex Cora.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:57 am

psu_dad wrote:Mrs psu_dad: We need to adjust your meds.
Me: I'm not taking any.
Mrs psu_dad: Then we need to get you some.

Might I suggest Black Tar heroin? You can save yourself on the doctor visit and dad already apparently has a source for the stuff.
#Emmertknew

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:15 am

On a much more somber note, I asked my son recently about one of his childhood acquaintances. They swam on the same team for years. Nice kid. His parents were nice, too. Most of my son's childhood acquaintances have done very well in adulthood, but he said the one I inquired about has had it rough in recent years. In and out of Re-hab. Heroin.

I couldn't have been more shocked than if I had been told he joined the Taliban. Really made me count my blessings.
Fire Alex Cora.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:09 am

That really sucks. Sorry to hear it.

A lot of the kids my sons are friends with are now dabbling with drugs and booze. Mostly pot, and also vaping (and I assume they are adding pot to the vape but who knows). And, of course, drinking when they can. It's frightening and most of the parents seem to be shrugging it off or ignoring/denying it. I can't tell if they are really that obtuse or they just don't know how to prevent it and denial or ignoring it is a defense mechanism. Not sure.

So far, my wife and I have been pretty lucky. My oldest really doesn't seem to have much interest. We know he's tried everything once, but he doesn't seem to like it. He and my wife have a really great relationship and he tells her everything (and, yes, I am jealous of that but am glad he will always talk to at least one of us). We trust him and have no reason to think he's lying (but perhaps we are ignoring it or just in denial). My youngest is a different story. He's 14 and we've already caught him smoking pot twice and vaping several times. No drinking yet. I've told both my kids that if they want a drink they can ask me and I'll give them some. Both have tried beer (didn't like it at all) and my youngest tried bourbon (he took a sip, said it was great, and was done). I'm hoping that helps.

It's scare stuff, though. And, there is no easy answer to it. A lot of these kids think they are invincible and immortal. Addiction and death from overdose is something that happens to other people, but never them. They are convinced their lives will still turn out fine and they can one day just walk away from this. And, most of them will. But, not all.

My best friend in highschool used to get high a lot. He had little ambition, barely got through college and had trouble holding a job most of his life. He died of a drug overdose - while in rehab no less - about 6 months before his 40th birthday. He and I had lost touch over the years, partly because I went on to do things with his life and he just never did. It didn't bother me but as time went on he just shut me out of his life. At the time he died I was trying to get in touch with him and see how he was doing. Imagine my shock when I found out. It was awful. I went home for the first time in years (my parents had moved away at some point and I no longer had reason to go back to the town I grew up) and went to pay my respects to his parents and sister. Met his wife, his kids ... it was a really tough day.

Drug addiction is a horrible disease. I hope your son's friend manages to beat it but, honestly, the odds are not good. Heroin, especially, is a MOFO. I know a lot of addicts and recovering alcoholics and I see a number of people celebrate their sobriety every year. And, my observation is that the people who had heroin issues are the least likely to make it. They get clean for a while, maybe a couple of years, but the failure rate for sobriety is low. The failure rates for staying sober in general are low, but it seems to be especially bad for heroin.
#Emmertknew

Jerry Garcia

Postby Jerry Garcia » Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:49 am

Anyone read that 6-part story on pennlive about heroin in Nanticoke and other dying PA towns? Horrible...

And yet, exceeding that on the horrible scale is that yesterday we heard of a second teen suicide in 3 months in our church community. No heroin, no alcohol, no warnings. Having been through family suicide (not a child, thank God) I can tell you that there is nothing worse on this earth.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:53 am

It all sucks and, as a parent, it's all scary.
#Emmertknew