Politics

tempe

Re: Politics

Postby tempe » Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:27 pm

Trump is stupid. It's more than opinion. The misspelling and mispronunciations, his lack of understanding issues and on and on - the guy is an idiot. Just because he can rally his moron base proves nothing via intelligence. He can not get out of campaign chest thumping and his only tactic of intimidation has proven ineffective. I hope he lives long enough to understand all the fame and glory he desires will never come to fruition. I hope is dying thought is a clarity of profound understanding that he will be remembered as a total joke of a human being.

hbendle

Postby hbendle » Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:48 am

What annoys me most is how easily the masses are distracted from the matters at hand. Not surprised at all, just annoyed. Every day I have to bite my typing finger to avoid starting a flame war with posts on social media.
There's no discussion of the reason for these protests or what America should do about it, just incessant bickering about whether it's OK to protest or not. Way to avoid accomplishing anything.
My favorite so far is comparing all standing at NASCAR events vs. NFL protests. The irony of using an all-white America vs. high-minority America example to try and prove your point is apparently lost on most.
Wow, I can't believe my Monday morning workday depression was low enough to let this fruitless rant escape. Carry on.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:53 am

hbendle wrote:What annoys me most is how easily the masses are distracted from the matters at hand. Not surprised at all, just annoyed. Every day I have to bite my typing finger to avoid starting a flame war with posts on social media.
There's no discussion of the reason for these protests or what America should do about it, just incessant bickering about whether it's OK to protest or not. Way to avoid accomplishing anything.
My favorite so far is comparing all standing at NASCAR events vs. NFL protests. The irony of using an all-white America vs. high-minority America example to try and prove your point is apparently lost on most.
Wow, I can't believe my Monday morning workday depression was low enough to let this fruitless rant escape. Carry on.

This. All of this. Completely agree.

Btw, here is something else I learned yesterday: prior to 2009 teams did not regularly take the field for the National Anthem. They were generally in the locker room. There were certainly players who wandered out for it, and there was nothing to prevent them from doing so, but in general teams did not take the field and stand on the sidelines for it. That all changed when the Department of Defense starting paying the NFL and individual teams to show overt acts of patriotism. So, the DoD was more than willing to use the NFL to help with recruiting, and the NFL was happy to go along with that, which certainly explains why the NFL has been selling patriotism as part of its brand the past few years. And now some people decided to not play ball and use that as a means to push a social platform and everyone loses their minds while, as hbendle points out, never addressing the underlying issues.

The other thing that strikes me about this whole thing is (and I am absolutely generalizing here) many of the people most incensed about the kneeling are also the ones most upset about the push to change the Redskins name. I think those two issues are very much connected and see a lot of irony in the disparate responses from both sides of the issues.

LioninVa

Postby LioninVa » Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:14 am

Blue&White wrote:What annoys me most is how easily the masses are distracted from the matters at hand. Not surprised at all, just annoyed. Every
The other thing that strikes me about this whole thing is (and I am absolutely generalizing here) many of the people most incensed about the kneeling are also the ones most upset about the push to change the Redskins name. I think those two issues are very much connected and see a lot of irony in the disparate responses from both sides of the issues.

Exactly. I would specifically point to the crowd that so quickly fell in line with the use of 'snowflake' to describe thos from the more liberal persuasion because their feelings were hurt by someone who wanted to speak on a college campus or something like that. They immediately jumped on the First Amendment bandwagon back then but have their own meltdown when that right to free speech doesn't align with their preconceived notions.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:02 pm

So, North Korea claims Trump declared war via tweet. And what is everyone focused on? The stupid NFL thing.

Huh-Lo!

LioninVa

Postby LioninVa » Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:24 pm

MAGA, B-Dub... Freaking MAGA!

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:35 pm

Couple of outlets are reporting that indictments are coming for at least Flynn and Manafort. Maybe others. That may have something to do with the freak show Trump created over the weekend as well.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:13 pm

Recruiter: Have you ever been convicted of a felony? Robbery, rape, that sort of thing.
Flynn: Convicted? No.
Manafort: Never convicted.

Mrs psu_dad: Don't you ever get tired of that?
Me: No.

Crowbar

Postby Crowbar » Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:25 pm

Whether people are for or against the protests is one thing. Getting the government involved in these first amendment related issues is another. When the Kaepernick thing started last year the public responded negatively. The protests this year eventually widdled down to 2 people, one of whom has been doing it over 10 years due to religious beliefs. It was a dead issue. Then on Friday the NFL was literally put in an impossible position by the President when he decided to make some incendiary remarks in order to score a few cheap political points. And he not only did some lasting, and possible permanent damage to a uniquely American institution but he also fractured the country. Just goes to show everything government touches gets ruined.

This was an issue the public, not the President or any politician, should have left to figure out how to respond.

I still hope Trump turns it around. But when is he going to stop treating the job like its a glorified Celebrity Apprentice show? When he was trading barbs with Rosie O'Donnell years ago, that was one thing. It was just a couple of goofballs duking it out for our entertainment. But speaking as POTUS can have serious, even devastating, repercussions.

LioninVa

Postby LioninVa » Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:36 pm

Crowbar, many of us came to this realization over a year ago. Some were ok with this over option B, others were not.

Either way, I believe the phrase you are looking for is, Temperamentally. Unfit. To. Lead.