Politics

PittGradPSUMad

Politics

Postby PittGradPSUMad » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:05 pm

New board, same ole political nonsense from fearless leader. Not content to move the doomsday clock closer to 12 midnight with his bluster and bluff at North Korea, he is now suggesting the military option is open for the U.S. to intervene in Venezuela. The tail is wagging the dog so hard, said tail is about to fly off. Mueller and company must be circling ever closer to the orange buffoon. That and his abysmal popularity numbers must mean it's time to lock and load.
Yeah, well, that's like your opinion, man.

Nat@PSU

Re: Politics

Postby Nat@PSU » Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:06 pm

How about his "from many sides" comment. His refusal to distance himself from Nazi/white supremacists/Alt-right speaks to how complicit he is in their behavior.

He knows that comprises at least a substantial portion of his base. And he knows he can't win without them. So he must court them and use tempered, political, vague language to condemn the violence.

He is a vile human being. And I'm wondering how long otherwise decent people will look the other way in the hopes that he scores some victories in their own agendas.
- Nat

Let's Go State!!

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:16 pm

Wall Street and my 401k love him. I've tuned out most of the other noise. Have they started construction of the wall yet?

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:25 pm

psu_dad wrote:Wall Street and my 401k love him.

So far.

In answer to Nat's question, I think the support lasts for as long as Wall Street continues to be in a good mood. If/when that changes, I think people start jumping ship.

PittGradPSUMad

Postby PittGradPSUMad » Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:27 pm

Nat@PSU wrote:How about his "from many sides" comment. His refusal to distance himself from Nazi/white supremacists/Alt-right speaks to how complicit he is in their behavior.

The fact that he appoints advisers such as Bannon, Gorka and Stephen Miller also speaks volumes about his behavior and beliefs. As for Miller, who sometimes responds to criticism about his nationalist beliefs by reminding people that he's Jewish, I say that Joseph Goebels would be proud of his work. In fact, he looks like Goebels. What a shonda!

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:50 pm

Goebbels wasn't Jewish, though. Sorry, I'm not following the analogy.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:38 pm

I think the analogy is that both Goebels and Miller are apologists for Nazi administrations. I don't think Mad is fond of the POTUS and his merry band of knuckleheads. Just a hunch.

"As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Hitler approaches 1.0" -- Godwin's Law

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:14 pm

Oh.

Yes, I missed that nuance.

And, I find Miller to be an embarrassment to humanity.

PittGradPSUMad

Postby PittGradPSUMad » Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:28 pm

Blue&White wrote:Goebbels wasn't Jewish, though. Sorry, I'm not following the analogy.

Goebels?.....not Jewish? Who would have guessed? And next you'll tell me the Pope is catholic. I'll work on the nuance, but I'm not following what you're not following. :roll:

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:40 am

Three CEOs are walking away from President Trump

The first one who walked away was our old pal, Ken Frazier, former PSU Board of Trustee and CEO of Merck. It was the first time I saw his name come up in the news and I didn't cringe. I was actually proud to have him associated with Penn State based on what he said and did. And, it's worth noting it took less than an hour for Trump to slam him on twitter, so about 47 hours less than it took for him to muster the balls to say "Nazis bad".

And, Fraziers comments were not that bad. The guy from Intel really took a shot at Trump. From his statement:

I have already made clear my abhorrence at the recent hate-spawned violence in Charlottesville, and earlier today I called on all leaders to condemn the white supremacists and their ilk who marched and committed violence. I resigned because I want to make progress, while many in Washington seem more concerned with attacking anyone who disagrees with them. We should honor – not attack – those who have stood up for equality and other cherished American values. I hope this will change, and I remain willing to serve when it does.

He doesn't say "Trump" by name but I think that is a pretty big swipe at him.

More industry leaders may walk away from him. The nimrods who showed up in Charlottesville were all over the internet and the press crowing about Trumps statement and how he refused to condemn them .. and how they took that as a sign of acceptance. No CEO is going to want anything to do with that. Trump now has a really big problem - he is perceived as coddling scumbags like the Klan. And, he did it all to himself.

As John Oliver pointed out, the easiest thing a President gets to do is dissociate himself from Nazis, and Trump couldn't even do that, despite being given multiple opportunities. His commentary yesterday was obviously done because of outrage reached a fever pitch and I suspect his own advisors and family told him he had to say something at that point. But, it was too little, too late.