Politics

Blue&White

Re: Politics

Postby Blue&White » Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:11 pm

I have no idea. I bet they make money if you click on one of those links, though. Or, maybe steal money is more accurate.

Carl Spackler

Postby Carl Spackler » Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:45 am

That's what I thought but wondered if they made money if I opened the original post. There is no impetus to go to the effort of posting if they are not making money in some fashion. I doubt they are Lion fans.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:59 am

So, Trump finally got around to calling some of the families of the special forces soldiers killed in Nigeria recently. The wife of one of the fallen soldiers took the call from a limo and her Congresswoman was in the car with her. The President was on speaker phone. Based on the stories about what was said, I have to assume that immediately prior to the call Trump was watching Airplane and was inspired by this scene. If the reports of his comments are true, it's just about the only explanation. That or he's brain damaged.

LioninVa

Postby LioninVa » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:24 am

I don't know if it's brain damage or some mental issue that he has. Everything has to be about him and he will never, ever, take blame for anything. The. Buck. Stops. There... Or, there... Or, well, you get the picture.

I mean, he was asked if he contacted the families or why he hasn't done so during an impromptu press conference. Instead of just answering the damn question, he drags his predecessors through the mud and immediately goes to his "that's what I'm hearing" reflex when called on the bogus answer. Nobody thinks the gig as Leader of the Free World is easy and I don't believe the question was a trap; so the "fake News" narrative is really not applicable here. Service members die on every president's watch, and calling the spouse or next of kin on behalf of a grateful nation is part of the job description. So, his inability to answer the question directly leads to him having to call soon (but it should have been done already as it isn't like we are losing folks like we did after the invasions following 9-11). Then he screws it up and says something wholly insensitive with a congressional representative right there.

Lama made a comment about Karma yesterday. I don't disagree that a vote for Hillary was to invite some bad juju into our lives. I just wonder if we invited worse. It is, to say the least, worse that I imagined.

LioninVa

Postby LioninVa » Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:23 am

There have been some developments since I commented on this... Gen Kelly, President Trumps chief of staff, spoke to the media about the congresswoman's claims and stated he was appalled that she would listen in to a private conversation. Of course, he commented on the verbiage the president used, so he was probably listening in to, so I see this a false outrage.

He also said that he suggested not calling the families as the only worthwhile calls would come from the service member's military compatriots. I understand the point that his is attempting to make, and he should know better having lost a son in Afghanistan, but I disagree for the most part. I believe that, as Commander in Chief, contact should be made on behalf of a grateful nation to the next of kin of anyone killed in action. This contact should be personal and as private as the family desires, but it can be a written letter or phone call. I am not a big fan of bringing them to the White House for a photo op as that degrades the privacy, but I don't think this is a common event.

As you probably know, I retired from the Navy Music Program seven years ago. Our MU's (that's the acronym for the musician rating) are not prone to danger, so there is little chance of danger for us. We do see a decent amount of the ceremonies after the fact and our trumpet players have the daunting task of playing Taps at many funerals and memorials. I was teaching music theory in 2005 or so and one of my students lost her husband over there. I believe he was Army Airborne but could be wrong, not that it really matters. I do not know if she received a phone call at the time but she did get a letter from President Bush. She showed it to me wanting to see if I thought is was actually signed by the president or if it was just a stamp. I couldn't tell for sure but told her I presumed it was actually signed.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:25 am

Someone just take Trump's phone away already and we'll all be fine. His inability to act with the most basic levels of civility and decorum are just astonishing. This entire thing has been shameful and horrible for the families not only of the one soldier who Trump called but all the other military families who have now unfortunately been sucked into this vortex. If President shit-for-brains would stop tweeting about it, it would have been over already.

I saw some retired generals talking this morning and they said they felt that, in general, the President should not be calling families of fallen soldiers. I have absolutely no idea what the right protocol for something like this is, but I really never expected that the leader of the nation would call the families of every solider who died. That just doesn't seem reasonable or realistic. So, if we could all just agree that going forward it would be handled by the military and maybe, at the highest level, the Secretary of Defense, that would be just spiffy with me - and I suspect most Americans - and we could then move on from this whole disgusting, sordid affair.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:32 am

Btw, the real, actual news for this morning is that the Republicans in the Senate have approved a budget that would add $1,500,000,000,000 to the federal deficit. So much for fiscal responsibility.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:52 am

The Democrats (AKA the Assclown party) like to raise spending without raising taxes. The Republicans (AKA the Asshat Party) like to reduce taxes without reducing spending. Both produce deficits. Don't worry. This will take care of itself eventually.

Carl Spackler

Postby Carl Spackler » Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:06 am

I'll second Lion's comments and add that Kelly did sit with the President during the call. Kelly gave context to the "entire" call, not just selected bits taken out of context by media and political hacks. Kelly advised the President on the call and as noted he advised against it as Lion noted. Kelly was visibly disgusted at the congressa$$'s politicization of the call. Did you get a look at this clown? She wears a cowboy hat all the time, vibrant red and blue ones so far, ridiculous.

Anyone can cherry pick certain words or phrases and then suggest that they were used in context only without the preceding and following verbiage. Pres. Obama never called fallen military spouses, ever. Pres. Trump didn't say that in the call as a negative but as a point of fact in context to other remarks.

This outrageous attack should be condemned nationwide but it won't be as the media presents 20% of what was said. I heard Glenn Beck do a take off on this very type of yellow journalism many years ago and it was funny since it was a farce. It represents what happens every day in the media and politics and this is why many citizens have turned off major media outlets and found other sources for their news. Major media can't be depended upon to present the facts anymore and really haven't for a long time but particularly since Nixon. The partisan slip is showing.

LioninVa

Postby LioninVa » Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:15 am

Carl,

The widow's mother also stated that she felt the statement was disrespectful. My best guess and hope is that this has been misinterpreted by those in the car. If you can stand to listen to the president speak for more than a few minutes, you know that he does not have any mastery of the English language. I am not trying to insult him, it is simply a fact. He does not speak in complete sentences, and he repeats words and has a flair for a few common adjectives and catch phrases. I suppose his comment could easily have been taken the wrong way.

As for the comment regarding previous presidents, I suppose the same is true. When I heard it, I assumed he was badmouthing them both.